I'll be in Oregon 7/28-8/3

D
Dementedfish
Well I'm heading up to Cottage Grove for a few days during those dates and I plan on doing as much fishing as possible for trout and if possible salmon. I know I'll be fishing Mosby Creek and the Row, but I'm not sure if there are any good specific spots so I'll probably just walk the river for a day and find out where the action is.

Anyway, how is the salmon fishing this time of year on the Umpqua? I'll probably make a day trip up there for a shot at salmon and some smallmouths. Is there anywhere else you guys suggest going for trout around the area? I only use artificals and release my catch. Thanks in advance.

S
SmallStreams
Try the Middle Fork of the Willamette for large catch & release rainbows.

M
Mad dog
Smallmouth will be good in the main! Don't count on finding many salmon though! You might find a few way down by winchester bay on the incoming, kinda between runs right now. You would have more success looking for a summer steelhead right now.

D
Dementedfish
Thanks for the tips guys. Where should I go for finding those steelhead?

D
Dementedfish
SmallStreams said:
Try the Middle Fork of the Willamette for large catch & release rainbows.

Where exactly is the middle fork and how do I get there from Eugene?

M
Mad dog
Dementedfish said:
Thanks for the tips guys. Where should I go for finding those steelhead?

They'll be scattered up and down the Umpqua.

M
Mad dog
Dementedfish said:
Where exactly is the middle fork and how do I get there from Eugene?

Follow hwy 58 east out of Eugene, it follows the middle fork as far as oakridge.

D
Dementedfish
Mad dog said:
Follow hwy 58 east out of Eugene, it follows the middle fork as far as oakridge.

Perfect, thank you! BTW what's the best thing to use for steelhead? The one time I caught a Steelhead in Oregon it was on a small yellow spoon. We don't get natural steelhead in Southern California often.

M
Mad dog
You might try blue fox spinners or lil' cleo's. I would look for them in riffle water that is about 3-5 ft. deep or gravely tailouts above a good rapid, always good holding water.

D
Dementedfish
Mad dog said:
You might try blue fox spinners or lil' cleo's. I would look for them in riffle water that is about 3-5 ft. deep or gravely tailouts above a good rapid, always good holding water.

Thanks for the tip.

If anyone is going to be around the Row during this time hit me up and maybe we can meet up and if you show me the area a little bit I'll give you a bunch of my custom tied fly-jigs.

B
Backcastwards
The spring chinook run on the N. Umpqua is all but done. The ones I'm seeing now look real tired.The summer steelhead are beginning to show up now and even seeing some nice sized ones to boot.
Gary

D
Dementedfish
Regulations?

Regulations?

One more quick question guys. Are there any regulations this time a year I should know about? For example any species of salmon I can't keep, or any length requirements?

Also I need to pick up a fishing license for the week, but if I use my relative's address will I be able to pay the residence fee or when I buy the license do I need to show some sort of proof that I live in the state? In California you don't need to show a driver's license or anything when you purchase your fishing license.

H
Hooked on fishin'
Dementedfish said:
One more quick question guys. Are there any regulations this time a year I should know about? For example any species of salmon I can't keep, or any length requirements?

Also I need to pick up a fishing license for the week, but if I use my relative's address will I be able to pay the residence fee or when I buy the license do I need to show some sort of proof that I live in the state? In California you don't need to show a driver's license or anything when you purchase your fishing license.

go to Bi-Mart if your buddy has a card, they usually have copies of the regs or you can go to oregon.gov and go to the fish and wildlife department, the regs are on there. I had to show my ODL to get my fishing license so you may be out of luck on that score, but I guess you never know.:)ps: you will be fishing in the Willamette zone if you are fishing around Cottage grove, the regs are divided into zones.

Troutski
Troutski
Best tip...

Best tip...

Dementedfish said:
Thanks for the tip.

If anyone is going to be around the Row during this time hit me up and maybe we can meet up and if you show me the area a little bit I'll give you a bunch of my custom tied fly-jigs.

Travel up stream quite far, the farther up stream you go the better the fishing is, small bead head flies if you fly fish; if you are a spin angler then I recommend small spinners and spoons. Great Cutthroat population in that water shed. Tight lines and be safe on the water.

Chuck

D
Dementedfish
Troutski said:
Travel up stream quite far, the farther up stream you go the better the fishing is, small bead head flies if you fly fish; if you are a spin angler then I recommend small spinners and spoons. Great Cutthroat population in that water shed. Tight lines and be safe on the water.

Chuck

Any specific colors on the flies?

Troutski
Troutski
Yes...in deed

Yes...in deed

Dementedfish said:
Any specific colors on the flies?

Dark brown and green in the morning and lighter colors in the afternoon. Evenings: this time of year small Skeeters in the light grays mixed with dark.

Choc Brown Wooly Buggers, Hairsears and maybe a Golden Stone Fly in the 8 - 10 size.

You have impeccable timing, the moon is in a great phase...:clap::dance: Tight lines

Chuck