If you could choose, what would be your home river and town?

S
sapo
Great post troutmasta.
Ya Sandy is a great place and you're close to the Sandy, Clack, EC, plus closer to the Deschutes or those eastern oregon rivers than someone from Portland. However, you mentioned your priority was trout on your home river and the Sandy and Clack don't offer much of that..

Eugene-PDX is usually only about 1.5 hours, longest I've taken is 2, but it all depends on the driving and traffic.

P
pinstriper
I would like to remind everybody that OP is from CALIFORNIA, and therefore the farther out in the boonies we can send him, the better. Just kidding.

Totally not kidding.

troutdude
troutdude
TimberTodd said:
Sorry if that post came across gritchy TD, I wasn't meaning to come down on you.

Thanks TT. No biggie.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I've lived in Sandy for the last thirty years. It is a very good place to live and the access to good steelhead fishing is fantastic. It's not to far to drive for lake style trout fishing in the months before the snow falls. But if you want a true trout river you can't beat the Deschutes and Crooked River area. If fly fishing for trout is what you want Madras is not a bad bet. Again close enough to PDX and close to the Metolius, Deschutes, Crooked and other nice trout water. Off course there is the Trout Farm just east of Sandy but you have to pay for each fish.;)

P
pinstriper
What about Hood River as a base ? I know the Columbia is a boat fishery, but you are in easy striking distance of John Day, Deshutes, etc. as well as the Sandy or even the Clackamas, not to mention crossing the river. Still right around 90 minutes from PDX.

M
Myhappyplace
Hi again, everybody. I'm the OP and am pretty much overwhelmed by the great suggestions you've all made. And very grateful. Especially since I disclosed from my first posting that I'm from your lousy neighboring state which is disgorging so many of its residents northwards to Oregon. Actually, there's lots I like in California, lots! I'm just ready for new (green) scenery and new rivers and you've got so many of them.

Thanks again and I'll look forward to any more suggestions. I did order the Bible, and already have "Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide" by Frank Amato Publications.

F
Fish
Myhappyplace said:
Hi again, everybody. I'm the OP and am pretty much overwhelmed by the great suggestions you've all made. And very grateful. Especially since I disclosed from my first posting that I'm from your lousy neighboring state which is disgorging so many of its residents northwards to Oregon. Actually, there's lots I like in California, lots! I'm just ready for new (green) scenery and new rivers and you've got so many of them.

Thanks again and I'll look forward to any more suggestions. I did order the Bible, and already have "Oregon River Maps & Fishing Guide" by Frank Amato Publications.

We just moved to Oregon from Santa Cruz, CA. My advice is....do your research. If you haven't lived in the Pacific Northwest before, I lived in Washington before California and our move to Oregon, so I knew what I was getting into. It is a lot colder, rainy and grey here....all the things that keep the crowds away. The folks next door to where we currently hang our hats are from Cali, as well. They have been living in the foothills of the Cascades for four years and they're moving back to Cali....Palm Springs. Go figure...one extreme to another. He moved here to fish as well but said it wasn't so great cause some guy in a captains hat and a few of his friends catch all the fish! Bottom line: Do your homework and visit the area you want to live for a little while. Even if you have lots of resources, moving is a PITA!

M
Myhappyplace
Thanks, Fish, for your recommendations. I've lived around the U.S. and know gloom. :) So a crash pad in a sunny place can be helpful. Our friends in Sandy know they always have a spare bed down here that they do take advantage of, from time to time, to get some sunshine. We plan to maintain our close ties with our friends in So Cal and take advantage of their kind offers to camp out. Also, the child-unit is now a biologist with a real job and his place could be a crash pad when the overcast/rain gets overwhelming.

That's why I've asked for recommendations within 1 1/2 hours or so from PDX.

I've been reading citi-data.com for a while now and the issue of gloom, rain, SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is discussed all over the place.
Thanks for your thoughts, Fish!

F
Fish
Myhappyplace said:
Thanks, Fish, for your recommendations. I've lived around the U.S. and know gloom. :) So a crash pad in a sunny place can be helpful. Our friends in Sandy know they always have a spare bed down here that they do take advantage of, from time to time, to get some sunshine. We plan to maintain our close ties with our friends in So Cal and take advantage of their kind offers to camp out. Also, the child-unit is now a biologist with a real job and his place could be a crash pad when the overcast/rain gets overwhelming.

That's why I've asked for recommendations within 1 1/2 hours or so from PDX.

I've been reading citi-data.com for a while now and the issue of gloom, rain, SAD (seasonal affective disorder) is discussed all over the place.
Thanks for your thoughts, Fish!

Hey, you're a fly fisherman. What are your favorite waders? I'm looking at the Simms G3 and Patagonia Rios...But I currently have some Cabelas that lasted a few years. I love to hear everyone's wader opinion. Cheers!

M
Myhappyplace
Hi Fish. I'm not the best to give advice on waders because I've worn my Orvis until there's no more places to patch -- all those memories of crashing through thorny things and falling on rocks; I love those waders. And I'm a girl and my options are way more limited than yours. I happen to have, though, a new pair of Patagonia women's Spring River waders, retail $399 but I got 40% off with a coupon. (I currently live in Ventura County where Patagonia is located and Yvon Chouinard, the boss, is a member of one of the local fishing clubs I belong to.) My Patagonias are definitely worth it, given the discount. I won't try to do a detailed review; the experts do that and I agree that Patagonia got it right with these re: flexibility, durability and a WATERTIGHT inside chest pouch for my cell phone/camera!!!

Re: waders and so much other gear, I'm a thrifty one and hang onto it until it quits. My old Orvis waders are still serviceable and I keep them as a backup and if I ever find any other girls who might want to fish (or any really small people - ha). I'm sure other folks here will give you great advice.

Thanks again for your feedback and best wishes to you!

D
DrTheopolis
troutdude said:
Eugene, BTW, is about 3 hours one-way from/to Portland.

Only if you're in really good shape, to be able to pedal a bicycle that hard. Takes me about 1.75 hours, with moderate traffic (and I drive like a grandma).

Depends how far from the city you want to be. The eastern burbs of Portland have been mentioned, which give you closer access to the Dryside trout streams. The disadvantage is that the rain/gloom/storms generally hit the east side of the metro (or anywhere else in the Valley) harder than the west side. The west side gives you closer access to the Coast, but adds travel time to the Eastern trout streams.

The Upper Valley (Eugene, for example) gives you better access to mountain streams (to an extent). But lags behind the Lower Valley (Portland and burbs) for salmon and steelhead (every fish heading upriver swims through Portland).

I guess it boils down to what kind of fishing you truly want to focus on (what you're used to is a strong pull, but there's a reason certain fisheries are the most popular here), and how that balances with how much of the comforts of city life you want.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I would advise you to check Craigslist for the cost of housing, whether you intend to rent/lease or buy. Portland and virtually all the surrounding area's within 30 miles is going through extreme growing pains right now and housing is at a premium. That is why I moved to the Santiam Canyon, that and it doesn't rain nearly as much here as it does in Portland. :D

D
DrTheopolis
Raincatcher said:
it doesn't rain nearly as much here as it does in Portland.

Not "nearly as much" means "over twice as much" in certain languages.

T
troutmasta
If you don't appreciate rain and what it does - green everything ;), healthy salmon runs, snow covered peaks. Then this isn't the place for you.

On that note I think it rained 2 times this entire summer.

Oh yeah we have the best beer in the world to boot....I mean, this place sucks.

T
troutmasta
Fish said:
He moved here to fish as well but said it wasn't so great cause some guy in a captains hat and a few of his friends catch all the fish!

Emphasis on his friends. ;)

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutmasta said:
If you don't appreciate rain and what it does - green everything ;), healthy salmon runs, snow covered peaks. Then this isn't the place for you.

On that note I think it rained 2 times this entire summer.

Oh yeah we have the best beer in the world to boot....I mean, this place sucks.

what he said! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

M
Myhappyplace
Trust me, Troutmasta, the green -- all of it -- is definitely an attraction. And no question, you guys have loads of excellent craft beers. Notorious Triple out of Boneyard Beer would be just one of many, in my tasting opinion. I am a hophead. But I would still put Simtra Triple by Knee Deep in Auburn, CA up against any hop-crazy IPA you can recommend. I'm happy to add more OR brews to my favorites. Lots to look forward to if we do make the move north.

Thanks for your comments and those of Raincatcher and Dr. Theo.

T
troutmasta
Myhappyplace said:
Trust me, Troutmasta, the green -- all of it -- is definitely an attraction. And no question, you guys have loads of excellent craft beers. Notorious Triple out of Boneyard Beer would be just one of many, in my tasting opinion. I am a hophead. But I would still put Simtra Triple by Knee Deep in Auburn, CA up against any hop-crazy IPA you can recommend. I'm happy to add more OR brews to my favorites. Lots to look forward to if we do make the move north.

Thanks for your comments and those of Raincatcher and Dr. Theo.

Okay were buds. I'm a hop freak and well ya...I love the greenery here as well.-

Hurry up and move, I need you on my team.

Some of my favs-
Breakside Wanderlust
Crux Outcast
Silver Moon Maui Wowie
(all oregon)

I'll have to find this Simtra Triple- I assume imperial?

M
Myhappyplace
Troutmasta -- What a great list for us to work our way through. Thanks! Re: Simtra, we have it pretty readily available in California. You guys don't have Total Wine or BevMo, at least from what I can see online. I don't know what your big beer/wine stores are. I found the Knee Deep Brewery's distributor in OR and sent them an email - JUST FOR YOU -- asking where they distribute Simtra in OR:

General Distributors, Inc.
13895 Fir Street
Oregon City, OR 97045
Toll Free: 800 351 2366
Telephone: 503 656 9470
Fax: 503 557 4334

B
Billamicasr
As I got old enough to retire I first settled in Salem from San Bruno, CA (age 55). The first year there was 3" of snow, second year lots of sub 32 degree nights and lots of cold days. After 7 or so years of feeling the winter I decided to look around at other locations. I bought an RV to test the waters (weather). Right now I'm in Reedsport, just 4 or so miles from Winchester Bay. In the weather history it shows this area has had just one or two days a year of sub 32 degree nights over the past several years. A little farther south on the coast gets you into the banana belt where it never (yeah right) gets below 32 degrees. If you don't mind sales tax; I've read the Ft. Brag, CA area has great weather.

I have to admit I do not do cold well. I chose Reedsport because of the weather temps, fishing availability and cost of housing; fixed income and all. Within 30-40 miles is numerous salt and freshwater opportunities; Umpqua River, Siuslaw River, Coos River plus a bunch of lakes on the WON Bass tournament trail.

If you like Dungeness Crab, Salmon, steelhead, largemouth bass, sea run cutthroat trout, ling cod, sea bass and other fishing opportunities this is a great location. Also available for the hunter is elk, deer and various other animals very close by as the seasons come about.

If I could live anywhere in Oregon I'd choose Reedsport (for now). I'm just 130 miles from the high lakes of Oregon; Crane Prairie (Crane Bows), Wickiup (Brown Trout), etc. and an hour from the McKenzie River in Eugene for summer run steelhead. Plus a whole bunch of fun in my back yard.

Have fun with your quest; it took me a couple of years to figure out where I wanted to go first. I like this area, but since I'm mobile you never know where I may end up next. BTW, if you happen to be single or with no kids being mobile is a great way to see Oregon and other states a month or two at a time. I'm thinking the Owens River, near Bishop for a month or so in the spring; that might be fun.

Last edited: