Idaho browns

M
mccarrel
My Parents moved to Idaho around Pocatello. The local river, the Portneuf, has been kind of trashed by cows but the last decade there has been a consistent effort to fence it off from the cows and keep the erosion down. I started hitting it hard on the fly last summer and was able to find some bows on the fly. I've never been able to get a Brown Trout on the line and heard that in the winter they're pretty active. Last winter I spent quite a bit of time scouting out water but never hit anything. Yesterday swinging a minnow pattern I hit my first little German Brown in a little riffle. Today I headed up river and after hitting another little brownee and a nice bow I found my first big bad German Brown in some deep water. He hit a swung weighted fly like a steelie. Though smaller, it was definitely fun on my five weight.

brownee_zps22fb1ed6.jpg

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
Pretty fish, congrats!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
sweet fish, and I love to hear about and see the results of habitat recovery efforts...roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
My dad grew up fishing that river in the late 30's and 40's. I was excited to catch fish in at lava hot springs 2 summers ago.

M
mccarrel
Its pretty good out of lava and above towards Chesterfield. My parents place is just 5 minutes from the river but the section between McCammon and Pocatello needs some love.
jamisonace said:
My dad grew up fishing that river in the late 30's and 40's. I was excited to catch fish in at lava hot springs 2 summers ago.