I'd rather have a big mack than a small coke

jhop111
jhop111
Thanks to the recent odell update I decided to run up to odell for a day and a half of fishing. The Koke bite slowed down before I arrived so I just went after the mackinaw. I have never exclusively targeted them so it took a day to dial it in. Went 2 for three. Hit a smaller one , hit a large one that came unbuttoned during the fight and finally brought this amazing guy to the boat. It was a a slow grind but addictive. I will be back!

Reactions: Irishrover and Admin
M
mikeee2362
Sweet !! I miss fishing for Lakers, might have to give that place a try!! Great Pic.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Woo-Hoo! Congrats on the fish AND making the headlines on the homepage! :worthy:

T
Toyracer38
That's a beauty!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent, beautiful fish!

I had planned to target Macks at Odell from my kayak this year but have had to delay that due to property remodeling and some college graduations (son, niece) that we are attending.

We used to catch nice Macks in Glacier NP from a 17' canoe with a MinnKota and Eagle sonar on the back, other than the mosquitoes, that was fun fishing. cheers, roger

troutdude
troutdude
Most excellent. Nice to see an OFFer, get some fish like that! Glad you saw the Odell thread, and went for it.

S
sapo
Nice fish!

hobster
hobster
Beautiful fish, never fished for em but they are pretty hard to catch from what I hear. Nice job!

Admin
Admin
It was probably pure pleasure to fight such a beast.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
hobster said:
Beautiful fish, never fished for em but they are pretty hard to catch from what I hear. Nice job!

sonar and downrigger are critical tools IMO. even if you are not marking many of the big macks, they usually will be hanging near or just below the schools of kokes, also near deep ledges close to shore...and last is color- green has worked best for me, no surprise given the depth.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Odell puts out some big fish. If it should slow down at Odell go for a short drive to Crecent Lake they have some nice lakers there too. Good job.

PS..I like the Big Mack Coke reference................