Ice fishing

N

Ntofishing

I finally took time off and make it a priority to go fishing. Went up to Diamond with a friend of mine ( Stinkifishi ). This was both of our first times ice fishing and I would have to say I definitely will be doing this again. Stinki got their around 10:30 and started digging his hole ( with a shovel, BTW don't attempt this it is easier to just get an auger ). I showed up at around 11 and he just had his hole dug. He said some of the other fishermen told him that the bite was on just before he got there and he hadn't gotten a bite yet. He pulled up his bait for some reason and I put my jig down and with in 30 seconds I had my first bite. He informed me that that was just my line getting hung up on the ice so I put it back down and with in 15 secs I had my first fish. He then informed me that he thought he could put me in that hole in the ice. LOL!! I then started digging my own hole ( as stated before USE AN AUGER!! ) It took me at least a half an hour of digging. In the middle of me digging his son hooked and landed one and he hooked and lost one. I finished my hole and got my bait down to finally get another one before I had to leave to go home. All in all it was a fun day on the ice.

Attachments

• 0429111259.jpg
    0429111259.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 0429111131.jpg
    0429111131.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 52
N

Ntofishing

You are right it is a blast. If you have the right clothing you don't get cold and after that it is just fishing. They need to make some type of special regs to keep that lake open during the winter. I am sure they would get a lot more business if they did.

F

fisherwilly

Nice fish. How thick was the ice? I have an auger but it has been warm lately. Might be sketchy.

N

Ntofishing

I went friday before it started warming up so you might have to call up there. When we dug our holes it was around 6 inches on top and then a small water layer then at least another 6 inchs below that.

B

beaverfan

That's something I've always wanted to get out and do. Looks like you had a great time!

T

tonedef89

I would say the ice fishing is about done for the year unless you are really adventurous or there is a serious cold spell. Went up there today and by 3 pm there were lots of soft spots in the ice. My dad went through the slush to about thigh level...in the middle of the lake. The last 20 yards or so to shore we were both falling through to knee level every few steps. We did catch 14 between the two of us, mostly 12 inchers with a couple 15's and a 16. Some other folks we talked to were averaging 15's.

N

Ntofishing

Thanks for the Info tonedef. A friend was thinking of going up there, I guess Ill relay the message that the ice is a little too thin to be out on.

T

Throbbit _Shane

cool report!

I can't wait for ice off. so i can float it and do some camping! :D