Ice fishing anyone?!?!

F
fish_4_all
Something I never thought I would see in this area. Might stay cold enough for the lakes to freeze over in some areas.

How well do trout hit ice fishing? :lol:

Remember to oil up those guides to keep the ice off them, if it will help anyway. Put an extra coating of Sauce on those reels to keep them working free.

I think Hot Sauce is supposed to work well in cold weather. Anyone know of other grease products that work well in cold weather?

F
FishSchooler
I dont think its that cold for a lake or river to freeze up, my friends small pond is still runnin fine.

F
fish_4_all
Well that part was a joke, kinda but the long term forecasts I am seeing are showing freezing temps with rare temps above freezing here for anywhere from 10-30 days.

The rEEl point is the sauce for our reels. Anyone know some good grease for reels that will keep them flowing freely? I went for a while today and my baitcaster would only cast about 20 feet after it started to freeze up. The reel is normally very easy to cast but when the wind started blowing it almost stopped working. Go it home, thawed it out and it works fine now.

Although, I wouldn't mind doing some ice fishing if the lakes do freeze over. That is if we can get to the lakes here!

O
osmosis
I've had baitcasters freeze too. Carry a spinning rig as a spare is my solution.

J
joesnuffy
your on the wrong side for serious ice fishing. we have tons around here in eastern oregon. Last year we augered threw more then 3 ft of ice... blah!

H
Hawk
I'm in my icehouse,icefishin',thrutheice.........................:lol::lol::lol::lol:

j/k......................:cool:

F
fish_4_all
Been there, done that but didn't use an Auger.

You know those flashing lights outside of George? I lived in a farm about 30 miles from there. There were 2 ponds we would go to and fish in the dead of winter. Cut about a 5 foot chunk out of the lake and fish for perch and other panfish. When we got bored or weren't getting bites we would use the block of ice as a sled and fling it across the top of the lake with a big rope.

I swear we got more fish out of the blocks of ice than we ever caught but it was still fun.

D
dude young
Throwing sh-- at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Throwing sh-- at the wall and seeing what sticks...

Well, I just moved here from NH, and boy are my fins tired. (Waka-waka)

But seriously. I kept most of my ice gear, just in case I decided to go searching some day. Well, it really looks like I might not be traveling too far to find it. I was planning on waiting to get my lic. until the first of the year, but, if there is fishable ice, I'll probably get a three-day to appease the Gods. If there is anyone in the greater Portland area that wants to try something completely insane, I'd be up for meeting on Sunday. Like I said, I am newbie, so as far as lakes/species, I don't care. All I need to do is find a pond with about 4 inches on it, and I give it a whirl. I am not about to go through the ice for the sake of a couple of fish, but if we can find safe ice where we need it, I am game.

I've got a truck, so I can travel a few miles out if needed, But don't want to be too far that I have to get home with all the crazies on the road with the snow flying.

Anyone, anyone!?

Plus, I'd just love to send some hard water pics home to baffle my pals.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Welcome DUDE!
Nice to see some East Coast tranplantation over here. Where do you hail from in the Hamps?
The ice fishing in, and around the Portland Metro are is nearly non-existent. You are going to have to travel out I-84, or HWY's 35 or 26. East. Get out of the valley, and into our high desert, and you will find yourself some excellent cold weather troutin waters. Some are as close as an hour to Portland, but most are in the neighborhood of 3-4 hours drive. In a month the ice fishing gents should be full force, as the waters get thick enough to fish safely. Glad to have you on board, and have at the site. Lots of information available, and lots of nice folks too, which always makes for some decent banter. Again, Welcome!

V
Vectorpete
Hey, I know your post was from a long time ago, but was wondering if you found somewhere to ice fish. I know plenty of spots in other parts of Oregon, but none around Portland. Looking to go tomorrow

T
Throbbit _Shane
You can ice fish Lake of the Woods and Fish lake right now, iv never done it might give it a shot though.