Ice and big (1250 acres) LOTW/physics

O
ohiojarhead
Thought that I would start a new thread as this will run a bit beyond the other thread regarding fishing the ice at LOTW.

There was 32-36 inches of new snow (since last sunday) on the 18 (or so) inches of ice. While we had no luck as we were not in a great place (we later learned) the interesting thing was how the ice reacted to the snow. Since it was already good ice, the snow did not hurt it the way early snow can affect ice formation. It did, however, weigh down the ice sheet so that the ice surface wanted to be about 3 inches below the water surface. We ended up digging a trench toward the middle of the lake (low point in this circumstance) to drain our area. Did not expect to need waders, ...grin! Auger hole first, then dig down enough in the snow to stay dry. We did need the snowshoes today.

It was a beautiful day but some windy off the mountain. Fishing, not catching. mutter, mutter

Hope you all get to drown a worm or something akin to that this weekend. Gonna be too warm for ice fishing at LOTW. Best guess is for next Friday or so.

Pat

N
nwkiller
Had an amazing weekend at Lake of the woods. Caught probably 200 perch average was around 9". A 16" brown and a 20" bow was also caught And the ice was near 16".
I will throw some pics up tamarrow.

B
BratX400
That was so great! I so glad to hear about it...

O
ohiojarhead
nwkiller said:
Had an amazing weekend at Lake of the woods. Caught probably 200 perch average was around 9". A 16" brown and a 20" bow was also caught And the ice was near 16".
I will throw some pics up tamarrow.

Guess I was a day early and definitely not in a good location. AT what depth water were you? Sounds like more than one hole was augered.

That kind of a day is what I have been looking for. Where are the pics?

Pat

O
ohiojarhead
A separate question occurs to me. For all of you who have winter fished this water for a long time, how many days of temps in 50's and with lows in 20's does it take before this water is not safe on the ice? I am specifically wondering about the ice conditions expected March 9, with maybe a bi. Thanks if you can shed some light, esp if you know about Fish Lake, too. If we don't get on this ice, will probably put boat in Willow. Pat

Top Bottom