I wonder how many honest law abiding citizens disobey this law?

T

TTFishon

Answer: Auxiliary driving lights and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. You must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). They may not be blue, bluish or any other color than white or amber.
On page 60 of the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual it states: "It is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see."
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.515 Section (8) states: A light other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity grater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle: (b) when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions.
ORS 801.325 "Limited visibility conditions means: (1) Any time from sunset to sunrise; and (2) Any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible on a straight, level, unlighted highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."

The older I get the more sensitive my eyes are to light. I wish cops would start citing people for this.

B

bigdog

The older I get the more sensitive my eyes are to light. I wish cops would start citing people for this.

:lol: your a little younge to be talking about the older you get aren't you :lol: If your starting that now hate to see you 30 years :lol:

T

TTFishon

:lol: your a little younge to be talking about the older you get aren't you :lol: If your starting that now hate to see you 30 years :lol:

How old do I look. I still get carded when I have a hat on but I turned 42 in July. lol

T

TTFishon

Haha you're not the first person to say that. lol I wish I was full of it. lol Born in 1968

B

bigdog

Haha you're not the first person to say that. lol I wish I was full of it. lol Born in 1968

Now I feel like a dum ars I was confusing your name with (tnffishman) so with further review then I have no idea how old you look :lol:

S

sherman

I couldn't agree more on the fog lights & high beam inforcement. I leave the yard anywhere between 1:30am & 3am & after 35 yrs of driving truck I see it getting a lot worse. I mean my eyes as well as the courtesy of other drivers. a lot of other truck drivers don't have a clue about the fog light regs either. I can't wait until I retire in 3yrs & 3 months but whos counting so I can fish more.

B

bigdog

That's funny. lol Yeah, that guy's pretty young. lol
Yeah he is that's why I was like wait a minute :lol: I think I said something about that in another thread where you said something about a wife :lol:

I couldn't agree more on the fog lights & high beam inforcement. I leave the yard anywhere between 1:30am & 3am & after 35 yrs of driving truck I see it getting a lot worse. I mean my eyes as well as the courtesy of other drivers. a lot of other truck drivers don't have a clue about the fog light regs either. I can't wait until I retire in 3yrs & 3 months but whos counting so I can fish more.

With trucks like big rigs and all they don't even need to have the high beams on to blind ya, they are right there at that just right hieght to where it is right in your eyes and nothing you can do about it. If I was that close to retiring I would have it down to the minutes :lol:

S

sherman

The wife makes 30k a year more than me but she still won't let me retire until the house & toys are paid for & I'm getting there.

I'll tell you something else they ought to out law is those pesky blue light head lights.

Last edited:
T

TTFishon

The wife makes 30k a year more than me but she still won't let me retire until the house & toys are paid for & I'm getting there.

I'll tell you something else they ought to out law is those pesky blue light head lights.

I hate those new headlights too. People are so selfish. I'm sure those lights help them see a lot better but I can't see a thing when they're coming at me.:mad:

C

chrisohm

Banned User
I bet those blue headlights would be best served for night fishing. Just push the car in the river and have fun! I agree about the lights and I despise all those funky effects from the neon garbage they put on their vehicles. I guess if you want to drive a carnival car that is your choice...

troutdude

troutdude

Agreed. I hate all of the light issues mentioned here, and wish that the cops would enforce the law. They'd be RICH beyond belief if they would.

I have a disability, so light sensitivity is an issue to begin with. Then if you add in the peeps that use their fog lights PLUS their dim lights...well, you get my drift.

I would personally like to see the blue lights AND WHITE fog lights outlawed. Make all of the fog lights amber, and we'll all be better OFF.

Last edited:
F

Finneus Polebender

Those blue ones are wicked bad on the eyes want to turn my brights on them every time then I realize they are the blue ones

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.
one solution you can do to help from getting blinded is try wearing a pair of those yellow lensed shooting glasses. its amazing, you can stare into any oncoming headlight no matter what color it may be. cause lets face it our law enforcement's priorities are...well I,ll just leave it at that.

T

the_intimidator03

I find some nights im wearing sunglasses driving home. I do enjoy my new headlights i just am not sure how bright they are for the folks on the other end of the beam.

troutdude

troutdude

Hey Kirkster, I'm gonna try your yellow sunglasses idea. It just might save my bacon. With my sensitivity issue, I usually look away as oncoming rigs get close. And I know that can spell disaster!

I wear prescription lenses. So, I'm gonna try the yellow tinted clip ons and see how they do.

Thanks again for your tip!

T

TTFishon

I find some nights im wearing sunglasses driving home. I do enjoy my new headlights i just am not sure how bright they are for the folks on the other end of the beam.

Well when people flash thier brights at you when you have your dims on you'll get an idea.

T

TTFishon

Hey Kirkster, I'm gonna try your yellow sunglasses idea. It just might save my bacon. With my sensitivity issue, I usually look away as oncoming rigs get close. And I know that can spell disaster!

I wear prescription lenses. So, I'm gonna try the yellow tinted clip ons and see how they do.

Thanks again for your tip!

Yeah, thanks kirkster, great tip.

I look at the fog line escpecially on corners.

F

fishtales

one solution you can do to help from getting blinded is try wearing a pair of those yellow lensed shooting glasses. its amazing, you can stare into any oncoming headlight no matter what color it may be. cause lets face it our law enforcement's priorities are...well I,ll just leave it at that.

Kinda reminds me of one of those Miranda lambert songs.

"Let's go on down to the quick stop
Wear your yellow shades
And I'll put on my tight jeans
And we'll just spend the weekend burnin' rubber
And we'll let em point and stare in disbelie"

Anyways I will have to give the shades a try. Thanks

Top Bottom