I was able to Hagg-le a few bass and panfish into biting

bass

I hit Hagg on Cinco de Mayo with the intention of catching some bass. I left the trout gear at home because I know it is too easy to make a few casts and then say to myself, "I'll just troll for a little bit" and then the narrator from Spongebob comes on "6 hours later...".

So to avoid that I left the trout gear at home. I was on the water and fishing by about 7:15. The sun was already pretty bright but I decided to start with a topwater anyway, partly hoping to get a bite and partly to see the action of the new topwater I had purchased (Bass pro shops brand, kind of like a whopper plopper but both front and rear spin). For about a half an hour I enjoyed watching it gurgle along, completely undisturbed by any splashy bass bites. I decided that even though I really liked the action of that lure that I should probably put on something the bass liked too.

I started throwing a jerkbait and missed a strike almost immediately. About 10 minutes later I had another hard strike and this time the hooks stuck and I caught my first bass of the year and my first on my new medium light casting rod. It was a short but spirited fight but I already love that rod.

1.jpg

I kept throwing that jerkbait and about an hour later I caught another smallmouth about the same size as the first. After that fish I kept tossing that jerkbait as I moved along the bank. The water was about 60 and there was some new weed growth. I was on edge with every cast. I really felt like I should get bit every time I started my retrieve.

I finally got to a little micro-cove where I have had good success in the past. I decided to drop my anchor and really fish it thoroughly. I completely dusted it off with the jerkbait without so much as a sniff. I decided that perhaps the jerkbait bite was done or never really started and decided to show no mercy and break out the wacky-rigged Senko. The bass were in trouble now. I cast out and let it sink a bit and gave it a couple of twitches when I saw the line jump. I jerked back hard to set the hook and felt the pop of my leader breaking. (How many times am I going to have to do this before I start retying before every trip).

No big deal I thought. I am sure there are plenty of fish in the sea, so to speak. I re-rigged and tossed out again, and then again, and again... I did not get another bite on the Senko while I was anchored up there. I was getting ready to leave but I thought, what the heck I will make a few casts with a swimbait before I go. On my third cast with the swimbait it was smashed hard! That really took me by surprise since I had just been tossing the Senko into that same area. This fish felt really solid and I whooped out loud when it came about 2 feet out of the water. After that it dug deep and put up a good fight. Not a monster, but a 2lb 6oz largemouth was my prize.

2.jpg

Just a really chunky, solid beautifully marked fish. I thought this was definitely a sign that it was going to be a swimbait day, but in the next few hours of rotating through the Senko, jerkbait and swimbait I only picked up one more small largemouth (would have preferred a large smallmouth but I guess my order got confused). After another dry spell I decided to give the panfish a try for a bit. I never found a great bite but I did catch some nice sized bluegills. The males look like they are already starting to get their mating colors on.

3.jpg

After doing some panfishing I went to back to casting at the bass. I eventually ended up catching three more smallmout that were all about a pound on the wacky rigged Senko.

Around 4pm I decided to call it a day. I am not quite sure why I did not rack up more fish. With the surface temp in the low 60s everywhere in the lake I know the fish must have been shallow. In hindsight, perhaps fishing a deep crank in 8-12' would have been more productive. The problem is that every time I started to consider trying that I would get a hit or catch a fish. I certainly would have liked to have caught more fish but it was still a beautiful day on the water and I left early enough to be able to pick up some fried chicken from the Lakestop store on the way home.

If only the bass had bit the way I bit that chicken I would have caught a hundred of them :)

Aervax

Great story telling about a great day of fishing. Felt kind of like that wacky rigged Senko was in front of my own twitching mouth. Good thing the leader broke. Been there myself. Haha

bass

Thanks Aervax! I certainly did not lay the smack down like you did on the big C but it was still a fun day.