I tied my first fly!!!!

W
waco
I just tied my first ever fly i didn't get from any book or internet just came from my mind!!! Do you guys think i can hook up someting with it???? i have made yarn balls before but not a fly!!!

• IMG_1561.jpg
brandon4455
brandon4455
awesome! not 100%% but it looks somwhat similar to a stimulator im sure it would catch cutthroat in a coastal river,maybe a steelhead..but im not sure..ill leave that answer to the pro's

C
colbypearson
i have tied some cool little flies before just messing around i will have to post a picnext time! :)

F
FishFinger
First fly eh? Seriously, that's your first fly?

If so, I'm quite impressed, and YES you sure could hook a winter steelhead on it. Dead drift a small corkie/ single bead/ yarn fly ( in the egg loop) and trail that behind 12" -18" as a stinger.

Fish it with confidence, it will work.

W
waco
thanks for the tip and yes it is my first one!!!!

D
dan88
looks good man! i found a lot of good tutorials of fly and jig tying on youtube. you should check it out

R
rippin fish lips
nice lookin fly for ur first one ever!! good job waco! hope u catch some fish on it!! you WILL catch fish on it! :D

F
FishFiddle
I agree with FishFinger in that it would make a great trailer fly and I think it will catch steelhead year round and probably work for cutties as well. Nice job.

C
crawdad1234
Very nice!!! I have never tied before. I just bought a few things to get started. I sure hope that mine look just as good as yours!! :)

W
waco
thanks for the nice replays guys!!!! not bad for not a fly fisher man right????? now i got a little question... so i just started fishing not very long ago and i dont know what is a trailer fly!!!! would someone try to xplain to me please!!!???

E
everett464
A trailer fly is a fly that you drift behind or under the fly closest to your Rod.

There are so many variations on the way to do this that you could likely write a book on it, but here is the way I usually use trailers:

For trout, I either use a trailer in a hopper dropper setup, or in a double dropper rig.

The Hopper Dropper utilizes a largish, buoyant fly closest to your rod; think: foam grasshopper, or large over-hackled caddis-stimulator. The trailer fly in this setup is a size 14 or smaller nymph tied 18-36 (to whatever depth you need to get to the fish) inches under the hopper. It gives you the benefit of the fish that want to take a surface bug, and the fish who is layin' low.

The Double dropper rig utilizes a strike-indicator (corkie is the preferred terminology around here, but most civilized folks use thingamabobbers. I have used both, and can tell you that a thingamabobber is one of the best inventions in fishing ever). You tie your first nymph under the indicator however deep you need it to be in the bottom 18" of water, and then you tie the trailer fly (usually smaller (size 16-22) rarely larger) an additional 18-24" under that. here you are maximizing the fish that will bite based on their appetite, or general inclination toward a specific hatch or size buggie.

For Steelehead, the issue becomes significantly more complicated, but most often I see folks using a trailer fly as their main fish catching device. They tie their egg colored fly (or foam egg, or san juan worm) behind a large heavy fly whose main purpose is to get the rig low. Some folks will tie whatever on as the front fly in this setup, but I have found that heavily weighted peacock colored stoneflies, in a size 4-6, murder fish, even when fish are supposed to be targeting the upper egg colored fly.

Additionally people use trailer flies when swinging for steel, but I have never had any luck with this method, so I a probably do it wrong.

For the record, the fly you tied up there looks to me like it would work swung by itself, or as the egg colored fly in the first Steelhead rig I described above.

Great work: tying flies is one of the coolest things a man can do, IMO.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I used to fish a similar fly at the local ponds for trout when I first learned how to tie flies. It killed the trout! Your hooked now!

W
waco
thanks Everet for the response!!!!

W
waco
wow not a bad fly for not having any idea what i was doing!!! materials:
hook: octopus gamakatsu :rolleyes:
feather: i found it while working in a house:think:
body:yellow yarn :lol:
lead:litle wire from a cable
tail:i cut some shiny things from the christmas tree!!!!!!:whistle:

making a fly with this materials: PRICELESS!!!!:yay:

Last edited:
M
Moe
Looks like a great fly, only way to know for sure is to go out and FISH IT!