First spring chinook on the upper Rogue river

T
the salmon kid
i was down at gold Rey dam Sunday fishing for steel head and i hooked what i thought to be a very,very big steel head but upon landing it realizes that it was a 18lb Chinook salmon i was shocked to see them up already and there was only `12 salmon over the dam i was very exited cause i have not herd of any one hooking a spring Chinook this far up so the next day i want back down there and tried for salmon and i got another one this one was 21lbs so they ARE DEFINITELY HERE ,,,,......... IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE GOT A CHINOOK THIS YEAR ON THE UPPER ROGUE PLEASE TELL ME,,... I THINK I AM THE FIRST ONE TO CATCH ONE THIS YEAR ......

Last edited by a moderator:
B
bigsteel
nice fish man,,,,,steel and salmon.......someones gonna have a good dinner

S
steelhead_stalkers
I heard of one caught below Gold Rey about two weeks ago but never saw a picture. I do know people have been fishing for them up there.

T
Thuggin4Life
Way to go man. Those are some beauties!

S
supertodd
I have caught 3 salmon already in that stretch of the river, got 3 nice steelhead while fishing for salmon.

T
Throbbit _Shane
steelhead_stalkers said:
I heard of one caught below Gold Rey about two weeks ago but never saw a picture. I do know people have been fishing for them up there.

I read that in the paper 2-3 weeks ago. search the mail tribune u can find the article.

btw nice job :)

S
supertodd
here is the first salmon caught below Gold Rey-March 10th

here is the first salmon caught below Gold Rey-March 10th

Usually the first salmon is caught in march, the earliest I have ever caught a springer in the gold hill area is April 3, that was last year. This year got my first one on the 11 and caught 2 more since then and lost one.

T
the salmon kid
ok i know now

ok i know now

ok i know now i saw the picture on the news and now i know that i was not the first one to catch one on the upper rogue but i got one and that is all that matters :D

but today i went down to gold Rey dam and left with a nice 20 pounder ill have the pics soon

B
Bulldawg
I may be looking to do some fly fishing in area as in White City on business May 3rd and 4th? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Theres some fly fishing only water on the rogue above the hatchery its called the holy water

im sure anywhere along the rogue would be good fly fishing :D

B
Bulldawg
What's best to use whether it be fly fishing or spincast around Gold Ray Dam?

T
the salmon kid
for salmon or steelhead ???

for salmon or steelhead ???

what do you mean salmon or steel head?

cause it would be very hard to fish for steel head with a fly rod at gold Rey for both salmon and for steel head the water is really fast in most of the good holes

B
Bulldawg
Whatever works the best - my wife has never done this, so thought about setting her up with spin cast, but I like fly fishing - if steelhead is better right now, then I'm more interested in that....sounds like spring chinook are starting to move up? Thanks in advance.

E
eggs
Not to be a dick but that first pic looks like the fish isn't a fin clipped and Natvie....

Troutski
Troutski
PM sent

PM sent

PM sent

Chuck