I need some advice

G
Goyanks819
I will be taking a trip to Oregon in march to check out the state. Me and my wife are looking to relocate there when I graduate college. I have always wanted to fish the northwest and here is my chance. I would like to know where my best bet would be to catch some fish. Doesn't have to be steelhead but ome sort or trout would be nice. I was just wondering if someone can give me some places to try and some hatches that might be goin on while I am there. We will b driving around most of the state in the 8 days we will b there so I know I have a lot of options. Also what is the weather like this time of year. Thank you in advance for any help given

R
RunWithSasquatch
You're gonna get bombarded with options. Theres a lot to do around here...

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! I suggest doing two things. Check the archives for the areas you will be visiting. Also check out: www.boatescape.com
I'm sure there will be more help on the way...again,welcome.

A
alseaalumaweld
weathere gona be raining! trout there lots of lakes to fish with trout in them. or river steelhead

V
Van
Depends on where your passion is gonna be. If you are a trout fanatic, it would be impossible to beat Bend as a home. Tons of opportunity to take trout, bass and kokanee, etc in the central OR area. You will have some world class waters at your finger tips. If i could pick a place to live just to go fishing, it would be there. You will also have Steelhead opportunities on the Deschutes. If you are a steelheader, hard to beat the Portland metro area as a base. Great water all around. The coastal rivers and streams that host a lot of winter steel.

The whole state has something going for it. The Rogue and Chetco in the SW. Upper Rogue, near Grants Pass and Medford. Some really good reservoirs out east.

A tough choice....

Last edited:
G
Goyanks819
Thanks guys. We will b staying in bend for 2 nights so i willb probably fishing around there. I'd like to catch some redside bows or some cutthroat

G
Goyanks819
What kinda gear do I need. I have a 5wt and an 8 wt.

T
Trout
Goyanks819 said:
What kinda gear do I need. I have a 5wt and an 8 wt.

A 5wt will work for a lot of trout around here ---- I've got a 5wt as well. But on some of our bigger waters a 9ft 6wt with fast action comes in very handy. Depending on our Winter you may have a lot of access in March -- or like this year we had places still snowbound into July. If you have decent waders you might look around Bend to see if anyone rents float tubes - might be a good option incase the rivers are blown out.

G
GraphiteZen
Hello! Welcome to the forum!

I grew up in the area, so:

You will most likely run into snow/ice in March. If anything the water is going to be COLD, a lot of snowmelt at that time.

As far as location, get on Google (search engine), Google maps or Google Earth and look for water around the towns of Sisters, Redmond, Sunriver, Prineville, and maybe Warm Springs. The Deschutes, Metolius, and Crooked are all fine rivers.

You will be in the Cascade Range, near the "High Desert".

Good luck!

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
Spring fishing is pretty fun in Central Oregon! :) A lot of stuff will be open in March but a big chunk of the Deschutes will not! Above Benham Falls to the headwaters will be closed, as well as the stretch from Warm Springs to Maupin. What was not mentioned was the Fall River. This is open year round above the falls and the Metolius below Allingham is too! These rivers are not for the faint of heart, they are rivers that start strait out of the ground. That means cold and clear with really picky fish. Check with the local shops and the BB. There are just so many opportunities at that time that almost all options can be productive. Make sure that you have plenty of BWO patterns in lots of different stages and variations. Best of luck!