I need some advice on steelhead please

F
fishndad
ive caught some nice steelhead but i know i could do better! what i need to know is exactly where most steelhead will lay? which areas are best and what kind of water is best? any thoughts are great. i get out there and ill catch one a day but i want a day when i can catch 4,5 hell even 10! now i know there is some serious steel guys on here so catch me up on this tune

S
steelhead_stalkers
My advice would be remember where you have caught those one fish a day and if they are in different spots then hit up every one of those fishy places every time out. Once you find eight or ten good steelhead spots where you have caught them, just keep fishing those places and keep moving and you will increase your numbers per day. Even the best steelhead fisherman sometimes catch only one. :D

M
mlw
The days of several fish a day are history - unless we demand serious habitat restoration from our politicians.

Michael

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Thanks Michael

Thanks Michael

mlw said:
Here is a thread I have bookmarked on the subject

The days of several fish a day are history - unless we demand serious habitat restoration from our politicians.

Michael

Thanks Michael,for reminding me of the thread. I made it a "sticky" so it can be found easily. Loads of good info there to share with new members.

M
Mike123
Depends on a lot of variables... there are general locations that hold fish, but depending on water height and temp they will hold in different spots of that general area. In the winter when you have high cold flows, often steelhead will hold in calmer, walking pace water with holding structure; like behind or in front of a rock or tree. In summer, with low warmer flows, steelhead are seeking oxygen rich water, i.e. riffles, white water, just above the riffles and tail outs.

Best thing to do is go to your fave river when it's REALLY low and look for holding structure. You'll soon find holes that you love to fish at a certain river level! I found a slot on the Alsea last year with the low water that steelhead were just stacked in.. since the water was so clear and low all around the area the fish thought they were safe in this spot.. Haha not anymore!

M
metalmania
Mike123 said:
Best thing to do is go to your fave river when it's REALLY low and look for holding structure. You'll soon find holes that you love to fish at a certain river level.

Couldn't have said it better myself:D.

Fishndad: I'ts pretty rare to even hook that many winters in a day, let alone land that many. If your getting one a day your doing better than most:D.

S
SalmonStalker
Find place That has slow moving deep water. It winter so the steel will be sluggish so probaly some yarn and a corky. Then just hit up some of your old spots every time.

O
osmosis
MetalMania - Who told you it was rare to catch a bunch of winters in a day?!

F
fishndad
well i went out today and got 3 in a couple of hours. i got a 37" a 33" and a monger 41" great day and realy early to! i must say my new amiglass whipped em out today. i found a couple deep ho;es that produced nicely

M
metalmania
osmosis said:
MetalMania - Who told you it was rare to catch a bunch of winters in a day?!

Haha, i've only hooked 10 in a day once, and that was while wearing every lucky piece of clothing I had:lol: I can see 3-4 when fishing's good, but I think it'll be ahwile before I find 10 in a day again. I'm still hopeful though:pray:.

A
adambomb
fishndad said:
well i went out today and got 3 in a couple of hours. i got a 37" a 33" and a monger 41" great day and realy early to! i must say my new amiglass whipped em out today. i found a couple deep ho;es that produced nicely

Wow! Most of us dream of a day like that! Where did you go and what did you use?

F
fishndad
adambomb said:
Wow! Most of us dream of a day like that! Where did you go and what did you use?

i went up the allegany, i was drifting corkys and boy they were producing early

Y
youngbuck307
fishndad if i have family in bandon and go there every now and then always think about where could i fish around there maybe next time i go ill have to send you a PM to get some info from you....

F
fishndad
youngbuck307 said:
fishndad if i have family in bandon and go there every now and then always think about where could i fish around there maybe next time i go ill have to send you a PM to get some info from you....

anytime bud, just let me know

B
BlackBass
fishndad said:

I would like to see pictures of the 41" fish, you do understand that is a world class fish! Almost garunteed to run 20 + lbs i would consider that a fish of a lifetime. I caught one steelhead in my days on the water, that was 41"+ it was the largest steelhead i have seen caught! Congrats on a great fish.

Last edited:
M
Mike123
BlackBass said:
I would like to see pictures of the 41" fish, you do understand that is a world class fish! Almost garunteed to run 20 + lbs i would consider that a fish of a lifetime. I caught one steelhead in my days on the water, that was 41"+ it was the largest steelhead i have seen caught! Congrats on a great fish.

:think: Me too.. lol

D
DirectDrive
Yeah, we need some pics :dance:
Didn't know the Allegheny had steelies in it :confused:

F
fishndad
well folks lol, sad to say but i dont have a camera anymore! not at the time being. my camera went in the river a while back, so christmas i get a new one the wife is nice to me lol. but as you can see up till the date of my camera loss i have pics of some fish. season has just begun and ill have more fish to show. oh and yes i know that is a nice fish however i think it was malnutritioned lol it was the skinniest steelhead i think ive ever seen. i dont think it even broke the 20lb mark........when i say skinny i mean super skinny. i wish i had a pic of it you would all be shocked by how skinny it was!

F
fishndad
DirectDrive said:
Yeah, we need some pics :dance:
Didn't know the Allegheny had steelies in it :confused:

oh yes the coos river system is full of steelhead! ive been fishing the allegany and delwood side my entire life!

B
BlackBass
fishndad said:
well folks lol, sad to say but i dont have a camera anymore! not at the time being. my camera went in the river a while back, so christmas i get a new one the wife is nice to me lol. but as you can see up till the date of my camera loss i have pics of some fish. season has just begun and ill have more fish to show. oh and yes i know that is a nice fish however i think it was malnutritioned lol it was the skinniest steelhead i think ive ever seen. i dont think it even broke the 20lb mark........when i say skinny i mean super skinny. i wish i had a pic of it you would all be shocked by how skinny it was!

Long skinny snake aeh, must of been a summer steelhead, well if you would of caught that fish on its initial run through the river, it would of been a monster!