I need help...

M

moocow9

My roommate and I took up fishing over the summer to fill in some of our free time and have decided that we want to catch a salmon. The problem is that we have never fished for salmon before and basically have no idea what we are doing. Our plan is to go to Sandy River because we have heard that people are catching them over there. What kind of lures should we be using, and what sizes? Would flies work well or should we be using something else?

We are probably going to be there near the end of the day today a little bit before it gets dark, and hopefully one of us catches something :D

M

moocow9

Ok, we got out too late and only got about 15 minutes in before it was too dark to see anything. but we will try that next time. thanks!

P

plucas

Stop by the bait and sandwich stop across the first bridge off of 84. The last time I went out they set me up with a good range of spinners on the cheap. R&B tackle. They are good guys who will feed you all the possible information you would need to know about the Sandy. It can be overwhelming being a new fisherman and these guys will not give you any grief about it. Also search around the forums there is a ton of info on this sight and all the guys are cool about helping out novice fisherman. I have never experienced any bad attitude towards new fisherman on this sight. Oh, check out steelhead stalkers as well. Chad seems a decent dude with a lot of knowledge and you might even start stalking the steel yourself. Cheers and good luck on the water.

M

moocow9

we took 26 to get there last time, but we might try to find the place you mentioned.

Where on the river would be good places to fish? we tried Dodge Park without much luck, but it was really dark so we didn't really go very far. hopefully we will be going in the morning before classes soon, but idk how long we will be able to stay :(

Y

youngbuck307

took out limet yesterday and 2 more today from around dodge.. just got to have what they want!!

M

moocow9

what times are best? should we be shooting for early morning right after the sun comes up or is there a better time to be out there?

thanks a lot guys, hopefully we can pull this off sometime this year :)

A

autofisher

Where are you located Moocow? It really depends on where you're comfortable driving to. There's the Sandy, the Clackamas, the Trask, the Wilson, the Salmon, the Nestucca, all within about an hour to two hours drive from the Portland area.

In general you're lookin at first and last light for the best bites( from my experience) Also, pay attention to the tide tables. You can pick the book up at any sporting goods store. There are a lot of different ways you can fish for salmon. Bobber and eggs, spinners, bobber and jigs, plugs, corkies and yarn, and herring to name a few. It just depends on where you go as to what's working. There are other tactics if you're out on a boat too.

My best suggestion, and I know it's been suggested before, would be to cruise the past posts for some information. There are a lot of helpful people here and we always love seeing people get into fish. Don't be affraid to post where you're headed either. You'll be surprised how many OFFer's might be headed in the same direction.

M

moocow9

I am in downtown Portland and my first attempt at Salmon was at Dodge Park on the Sandy but we showed up about 5 minutes before it got dark so we didn't get a whole lot of fishing in. our plan was to try to get out again sometime early in the morning, and it sounds like that is a good idea. our main problem is going to be that we have classes in the morning so we would have to be leaving around 8:45 to head back for school :(

A

autofisher

I would suggest being there at first light and fishing until you absolutely had to leave for class. It's either that or you fish after class until you've either caught your limit or it gets too dark.

M

moocow9

how much does it usually slow down during the day? i wouldnt mind being out there for a few hours in the afternoon if there is still a decent chance of getting some bites, but i really dont want to waste a whole afternoon without seeing anything if i can avoid it. i am thinking about just going without my roommate tomorrow morning because i dont have any classes, but it would be more fun if we could both go

A

autofisher

It just depends on the fish. Best bet is if you're not getting any bites and you know you've worked the hole your fishing over well, start moving up or down river and hunting for the fish.

M

moocow9

ok, that makes sense. thanks for your help!

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.
Like autofisher said it all depends on the fish. I always start fishing at legal time which is One hour before sunrise. So its still pretty dark and Ive hooked several fish in that first hour so dont cheat youself out of prime fishing time.And there have been several occasions Never got a bump till around sometimes 1:00 in the afternoon and been hiking out with a limit by 2:00. I would say the best time to hit it is every chance you have time. Because time spent on the water is what its all about.

J

JSpencer

What time is legal time anyway? I work swing shift so im never awake to see the sun rise..

G

GoneFishin2134

I have been having luck with Eggs, and BlueFox spinners #4 Firetiger, with a black piece of electrical take on the backside of the blade, or spinners with eggs on them.

My buddy was telling me to use Pink jigs, but have yet to give it a try. Tell us how you do. Good luck!

M

moocow9

I am not sure when i will be able to make it out again, but i will definitely let you guys know how it goes when i get back.