I need help! I have NO clue where to bass fish near Salem...

B
Big0g
I don't want want secret spots but I really want to get my girlfriend hooked on a nice bass. She loves fishing but has never caught a bass. I used to have a spot to go but it was a irrigation pond and they drained it and killed off the fish. Anyone have some advice??

Please and thank you lol...

M
Mattdm22
Try the sloughs throughout Minto-Brown Island Park. There are some lunkers to be caught.

B
Big0g
Ok I drive by there on my way home from work. Where do I park? All the way in the back or what? There is also a littlle pond right on the left when you enter minto brown. Is there fish in there?

brandon4455
brandon4455
there are bass in the front pond. if you had a toon it would be easier though. there isn't a lot of bank access

B
Big0g
There is a cement dock/platform on the bank of that first pond, i imagine that would work...

And thank you for the information everyone!! Keep it coming!!

R
ryan808
If you have something to float on the back pond at Minto has a few bass to be caught.

O
OregonNative
I was there a few weeks ago and got a tip from a guy who frequents the place. From the concrete platform you will want to take the path to the south. In a quarter mile or so you will come to pedestrian bridge that crosses the water where two ponds connect. There is decent bank access there also. The guy told me that he has seen people take some large bass out of that area. Good luck and tight lines. Let us know how it goes.

P
PARTYBOY
try Walling Pond off McGilchrist and 16th down by the airport...fished there yesterday and caught 3 LM

Last edited:
R
R&M Boatsaleslady
Big0g said:
I don't want want secret spots but I really want to get my girlfriend hooked on a nice bass. She loves fishing but has never caught a bass. I used to have a spot to go but it was a irrigation pond and they drained it and killed off the fish. Anyone have some advice??

Please and thank you lol...
St louis ponds hun they have good bass in there as well as Trout, I know I posted on my site the 50 places to fish with in 60 minutes of Portland (it tells you what is in each body of water) and go it from the marine board I believe. Hope that helps...

S
Sgrunig90
St Louis Ponds - Gervallis - 20 mins
West Salem Pond - By softball fields
Minto Brown - River Road (sloughs and front pond)
Walling Pond - 16th st.

Hope that helps. :)

D
Drew9870
Big0g, it is likely that Sgrunig and I will be Bass fishing in Downtown Salem on the Willy from the bank next week, possibly Partyboy if he can make it out. Would you like to join us? We have a good chance at some Smallmouth and Largemouth, Soft Plastics are the way to go in this spot.

P.S. The first pond at Minto Brown is practically useless for Bass (Right after the train tracks), the back ponds are where its at.

Reactions: OnTheFly
B
Big0g
Drew9870 said:
Big0g, it is likely that Sgrunig and I will be Bass fishing in Downtown Salem on the Willy from the bank next week, possibly Partyboy if he can make it out. Would you like to join us? We have a good chance at some Smallmouth and Largemouth, Soft Plastics are the way to go in this spot.

P.S. The first pond at Minto Brown is practically useless for Bass (Right after the train tracks), the back ponds are where its at.

Yeah id love to go if our schedules can mesh. What time and what day do you think you are gonna go? And by soft plastics are you talking about the worms and such that are plastic?

B
Big0g
So i went to the back of Minto Brown today and hit one of the Sloughs, caught plenty of bluegill which was fun for about 5 minutes. Then i came upon these 2 bass that were at least 18 to 20 inches swimming in 4 to 6 feet of water right off the bank. they wouldnt touch anything i threw at them though. any ideas? I had real worms, plastic worms, lures, and my girlfriend tried a few lures and such. couldnt get them interested. They were the biggest fish ive seen in the water though.