I need direction

C
Coastaldweller
Im going to the north eastern part of the state the first week in june. Could some one direct me to some great trout waters and possibly a good place to catcha nice catfish?
Thanks,
Coastaldweller

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum...glad to have you here.

Three consecutive state record kokanee, have come out of Wallowa Lake already this spring. The one caught last week was only a few ounces short of a world record. It was over 8 pounds! Folks are predicting a new world record by the end of the season.

If I could go anywhere in NE Oregon right now, it would be Wallowa Lake. They have nice trout too.

S
strawberry shortcake
You are talking about the lake I learned to swim in as a wee little lass. Didn't know I had those parts till I took the plunge in that glacier fed lake. You learn how to float REAL quick!!!!! In the summer, the top 5 inches are swim-able. After that you are ON YOUR OWN! And by the way, you will have to fight all 200 county natives to catch the trophy! But not me. I am strictly a fast stream/river fisherman on local private property. It seems to work. I walk up to the door of the farm house, all 4 foot 10 of me, and ask to fish on their stretch of the river. They say yes because just how many fish can a little Irish leprechaun catch I ask you?

S
strawberry shortcake
By the way, Friday nights in Wallowa County should be spent at the Lostine Tavern in Lostine. And if you do much sinnin, you should attend the Lostine Church, in Lostine. There is also Crows Store. You can pick up groceries there. And if your rig breaks down, you can stop at Norton's to get whatever fell off welded back on. If you want worms, everyone digs their own. However, the Dollar Stretcher in Enterprise has worms and eggs.

T
Thuggin4Life
I think the john day has cats but the snaked does for sure but maybe more central east is the better place to fish. I know people that fish that stretch of river and swear by it.

98nismo
When I was a kid I used to go to Wallowa Lake every summer. I remember in joseph there is a stream running through it I cought tons of fish in it also there is Kenny lake/pond just out of town I seem to remember, I cought a lot of cat fish there. then there is a little dinner milkshack and malt place right around there i dont remember the name but it was good.

L
lilsalmon
I think we should all hang out with SS.....:D If no fish is caught would be a hoot anyway....

S
strawberry shortcake
You might be referring to Steve Roundy's place up at the lake. It's called Russells and it USED to be a shack. Steve (a good friend of mine who worked there when I was a teen and who now owns it) has done a great job of expanding it. The burgers are still wonderful but he also offers great dinners.

C
Coastaldweller
Thanks for the info guys! Do any of you know much about the owyhee river or succor creek?

98nismo
this is the lake that I was talking about. here are the cords. 45.314786,-117.101451