I need a little info on a new float fishing setup

C
capblack
ok, so for christmas santa (me) brought me a new rod and reel. its an okuma celilo 9ft 6 in, 6-12 lb line, 1/4-1/2 oz lure weight, and an okuma ignite it-30 reel that holds 110 yds of 10 lb line. i
have been so happy with my celilo kokanee rod, that i decided to get another celilo. anyways, i plan on using it mostly for float fishing, and hardware on occasion, and my question is, what kind of line would be best for this application. i was thinking p-line hydrofloat, or another kind of floating line to keep my line on top while float fishing, but will that be okay when im using spinners and spoons? Im thinking 8 or 10 lb line to be used for winter and summer steel. thanks in advance, Brian

• downsized_1223001542.jpg
Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
I use like 10 or 12 max on my float rod thicker line will float better. And I add that wax stuff and floats better than any floating line I have used!!! Unless u use the wax stuff on it to. Then can always toss spinners or what have u I have even drift fished with it on my line... Not sure what others will say here think it's just up to the person who is fishing it and what they like!

C
capblack
youngbuck307 said:
I use like 10 or 12 max on my float rod thicker line will float better. And I add that wax stuff and floats better than any floating line I have used!!! Unless u use the wax stuff on it to. Then can always toss spinners or what have u I have even drift fished with it on my line... Not sure what others will say here think it's just up to the person who is fishing it and what they like!

10 or 12 lb what? mono, fluoro, or by max, do you mean maxima? i just want to get some opinions before i go get some. thanks, Brian

Y
youngbuck307
Maybe I should take another! Lol, But yea mono and I did mean maxima

S
SantiamDrifter
For float fishing, I love my power pro braid. I have another rod for my spoons/spinners, But you could tie in a 5ft. strand of mono/floro if you wanted to try hardware.

Y
youngbuck307
Yea I'm just not a braid fan maybe just need to use it more I know guys that only fish braid and kill fish just think it's not for me maybe.

Diehard
Diehard
14lb fireline high viz tie about ten feet of 12 lb ultragreen to that and your ready to destroy

F
fishindude
My 2 cents worth . I tried the P-line Hydrafloat and was very disappointed , the outer coating started coming off after about 3 fishing trips . It is also very hard to get knots to hold tightly. I am now using Power Pro hi-vis yellow on my spinning reel for float and drift fishing . The hi-vis is easy to see and makes it easy to mend the line through out the float. Like I said " just my 2 cents worth " ;)

F
fishindude
P.S. I also use the Power Pro braided line while fishing both spoons and spinners with no adverse affects .:)

C
capblack
thanks guys, this info is what i was looking for. just wanted to educate myself before i go spend money on something i wont be happy with. Brian