I love second option fishing

N
nwkiller
Stayed close to home yesterday, and went in search for trout. Threw all assortments of bait and lures, nothing but these tiny small mouth bass that would either get on the lure or bait or atleast chase it to the bank. So i said hell with it lets try to jig some of them out. We pulled out so many mince little smallies...then boom!!!!! more than i had hoped for....knew what it was right off the get go.....a much bigger smallie, didn't even know they were that size yet around there....ranger had told us to kill any perch we caught (which i dont) because they were trying to build a descent small mouth fishery and the perch love bass babies....they are growing:dance::D
2.jpg
pulled so much line...amazing fight...i love bass
here's a picture of the action right before she was air-born
smallie.jpg
she was released unharmed.....tryed to get her today but, nothing but a nursery
doreanasmallie.jpg
FYI no trout

F
Finneus Polebender
Looks like youve got those smallmouth figured out nice job!

S
silkiechicken
Nice!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Oh yeah!

F
Finneus Polebender
Second option? what the , just kidding ,so your first option is what LM LOL

N
nwkiller
FP actually i went there in search of trout...when they werent biting, i swaped over to what was biting.:cool:

N
nwkiller
thanks guys and girls

M
Moe
Those are Beautiful fish, nice job!

F
Finneus Polebender
nwkiller said:
FP actually i went there in search of trout...when they werent biting, i swaped over to what was biting.:cool:

Well the LM arent biting so TT and I may find ourselves chasin smallies tommorrow , thinkin the Umpqua somewhere PM me if you know the good stretches we will float the toons , have an extra toon if you might be interested . Most here say the entire lower umpqua is excellent for smallies and just bring lots of worms but any help/info you got would be appreciated as I have never fished for them specifically before.

F
Finneus Polebender
Well got a little info and a lot of desire so the smallie greenhorns are OFF to see what up in the Umpqua . Hoping for the kind of day we hear so much about ! let ya all know how we fair this eve.

T
todd
Finneus Polebender said:
Second option? what the , just kidding ,so your first option is what LM LOL

i second that.lol

N
nwkiller
FP wish i would have been able to get on here last night, i was at my friends , thanks so much for the OFFer...you guys are gonna have so much fun, can't wait too see the pics, im thinking of heading down this week, maybe we can team up then!!!! go get um'

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
I can't wait to hear back!! If it weren't for my bum-arm!

F
Finneus Polebender
Wow so seldom does the actuallity live up to the hype!!!! The greenhorns had a blast !!!! the umpqua smallie fishery was just as advertised ,TT and I quickly lost count . We floated from the slide hole "properly named " to the public park in Elkton. took much longer than I expected forgot how slow the Umpqua is . Took us no time to start catching smallies and with a few adjustments here and there it soon became an almost every cast fish on day . So many 5-10 " smallies we quickly lost count! About 45min in to the float TT caught his biggest of the day man these things can really fight once they get a little size ! caught my biggest of the day just shortly after ,poor dude not sure what got him but this was prob the most injured fish Id ever seen still swiming , sure if it werent for that he would have fought much better . TT also caught 2 green sunfish was too far away to get a pick of the first about 10" but got one of the second little guy ,pretty fish look like they ought to be in an aquarium. Thanks to all who gave advise including the cashier at Arlenes in Elkton we will be doin this much more often !!!!! most of the fish averaged in size of the the one next to my leg, not real big but scrappers none the less

Last edited by a moderator:
N
nwkiller
nice work guys.....looks like your best are some really nice fish!!!!!! glad it was a non stop day!!!!!!

T
TTFishon
Thanks. I'm looking forward to gettin back up there.

F
Finneus Polebender
nwkiller said:
FP wish i would have been able to get on here last night, i was at my friends , thanks so much for the OFFer...you guys are gonna have so much fun, can't wait too see the pics, im thinking of heading down this week, maybe we can team up then!!!! go get um'

Will be home this week might try some LM in the eve. would luv to go back to the Umpqua soon great fun!!!!!! maybe next weekend as am working mon -fri this week ,"not complainin glad to have a job!"

T
Throbbit _Shane
nice job fellas!! i can't wait to fish that river, constant action sounds like a hell of a time.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
haha Nice job!!! Yup I knew where you were at immediately!! That is such an awesome stretch of river. For the record, where you put in is just on the other side of the highway from the Big K Ranch. The water is fast right up to that last chute that is on the east side of the highway, slide hole is on the west side down river a little I believe (I believe it's down river and not right at the bridge. I was never clear on where 'Slide Hole' was at). The water is slow from the last chute on. The first time I floated that last section I was told that it would take me two hours tops to get from the bridge to town. I had put in miles and miles up river and had been camping for two days. I was going to row that last section into town at the end of the day, load up and go home so I didn't even hit slide hole until almost dark hahaha.. Yeah I had a lot of rowing to do in the dark.

Good job, nice fish!! Did you see the silver canoe wrapped around on of the rocks about half way down? :lol::lol:

T
TTFishon
GraphiteZen said:
haha Nice job!!! Yup I knew where you were at immediately!! That is such an awesome stretch of river. For the record, where you put in is just on the other side of the highway from the Big K Ranch. The water is fast right up to that last chute that is on the east side of the highway, slide hole is on the west side down river a little I believe (I believe it's down river and not right at the bridge. I was never clear on where 'Slide Hole' was at). The water is slow from the last chute on. The first time I floated that last section I was told that it would take me two hours tops to get from the bridge to town. I had put in miles and miles up river and had been camping for two days. I was going to row that last section into town at the end of the day, load up and go home so I didn't even hit slide hole until almost dark hahaha.. Yeah I had a lot of rowing to do in the dark.

Good job, nice fish!! Did you see the silver canoe wrapped around on of the rocks about half way down? :lol::lol:

CAn you put in at The Big K Ranch? I bet that was a fun paddle in the dark with the occasional boulder sticking up out of the water or sitting just below the surface. lol. I missed the canoe. lol How about you FP?