I have come to terms with the issue...

N
ninja2010
i have been fishing since i was 7... and i have caught thousands fish - large and small, salt and freshwater - even caught lahontans in alkaline lakes.

but i have yet to hook a salmon, steelhead or bass ever since i've started fishing here in oregon... and i have been religiously hitting the waters every weekend for the past eight months - almost 1000 hours. i have fished several of the more reknowned rivers here, and i have tried all methods (except fly).

i have finally come to terms with that. the fishgods are feeding me the humble pie, and i must say i am truly humbled. :(

now can we get on with it... and quit yanking my chain, fishgods of the pacific northwest? :mad:

J
JeannaJigs
You did too catch a steelhead! Sure it was just a smolt, but it counts! The fish gods are making you work super hard, but, one day you're gonna get a fat pig for your hard work.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Don't believe in fishing gods....

Don't believe in fishing gods....

Oh,Ninja. I don't believe anyone was more determined or frustrated than you and Autofisher yesterday. I was enjoying myself watching everyone and their techniques. I am certain that your day is coming very soon. We will get together again and see if we can't at least drown that rotten skunk. If not,I'm gonna chuck rocks at it till it sinks! Like Autofisher and I say,"Never give up"!! That goes for you too,my friend.

N
ninja2010
JeannaJigs said:
You did too catch a steelhead! Sure it was just a smolt, but it counts!

if you count smolts... then i've limited on several outings - woo hoo!:dance::yay::whistle:

NOT! :mad::protest:

F
Fishtopher
Dont give the man false hopes! That smolt was a trout. In the system he caught it, they gotta be 20+ to be steelhead. Coho countdown thread will begin at 5pm Ninja. Ill bet the farm we get you into some serious Silver Death Roll action in a matter of weeks...maybe days.:D

D
dude young
ninja2010 said:
if you count smolts... then i've limited on several outings - woo hoo!:dance::yay::whistle:

NOT! :mad::protest:
You've gotta keep that attitude the next time you head out. When I caught my first 'nook the other day, I ahd just caught an 8 inch trout. I jokingly said, "Well, al least I beat the skunk! Ha Ha". Then, (no poo) next cast, Got'em!

I think there may have been a slight swagger in my spinner on that cast, 'cause I trully believed that I had not been beaten that day.

Good luck!

F
fishnquest
You're not alone...

You're not alone...

Ninja,
I sought out this forum for help with steelhead fishing. I have a friend here. We fish a LOT during the steelhead run here (winter run only here). He is 35, grew up local here, started fly fishing with his dad at about 7. He has NEVER caught a steelhead yet. I got one a year and half ago with a guide; skunked since.
I tell you what, I'll race you to the next catch. What shall we bet? Some tcotackle or ss microjigs? You have a head start; no steelies here till about nov or so. I might go north for some salmon, tho. I have a bro-in-law on the trinity. We're not giving up, we're just slow learners:D:D

N
ninja2010
dude young said:
You've gotta keep that attitude the next time you head out.

hmmm.. if i do, then i should pack up after two "clipped" smolts? :lol::lol::lol: jk

i heard about yr cherry popper... that was very well done. did you empty that flask in celebration?

D
dude young
ninja2010 said:
i heard about yr cherry popper... that was very well done. did you empty that flask in celebration?

One pull, my friend. Everything in moderation. But, yes, there was a little bit of the pure for me, and some for the feesh. :naughty:

N
ninja2010
topher:
i'll keep an eye out for that thread... and yeah, i'm gonna hunt them down and all they gotta do is bite me...:lol:

dale:
you're on. but i don't want no unfair advantage coz i live in steely country. let's make it winter steelhead. what i catch (listen up, fishgods :pray:) before i have to fish with raingear and polypro on doesn't count. how's that?

O
OnTheFly
OK ninja. 1000 hours is getting close to turning it into success. Maybe a few more. Took at least that for me anyway.

Now this is only a joke everyone so don't hammer on me OK? Definition of a bass fisherman: A frustrated salmon and steelhead fisherman.:dance:

N
ninja2010
OnTheFly said:
Definition of a bass fisherman: A frustrated salmon and steelhead fisherman.:dance:

true that... LOL

F
fishnquest
OnTheFly said:
OK ninja. 1000 hours is getting close to turning it into success. Maybe a few more. Took at least that for me anyway.

Now this is only a joke everyone so don't hammer on me OK? Definition of a bass fisherman: A frustrated salmon and steelhead fisherman.:dance:

:lol::lol::lol:So true. Also defines striper, sturgeon, rockfish, halibut and ling fisher. Those are stupid-easy compared to this darned steel quest.

Jimmy,
Its a bet. I look forward to conquering this quest as I know udo2. Now all we have to do is perform some osmosis and turn into steelhead fishers.:D

F
Fishtopher
I think your bet deserves its own thread, so we can keep score!!!

M
metalmania
Ninja the silvers are on there way, and we shall slay them on the creek:D, then before you know it winter chrome again. Things will pick up soon my man. There's still some time before the silvers get here, so if you ever want to hit some smallies in the meantime let me know.

T
Troutier Bassier
Its fish Credit.
When you finally catch a Fish its gonna be a Good catch or a Big catch or a lot of catch.
Just keep Casting and go with People. (osmosis)

A
autofisher
Wise master ninja........

Wise master ninja........

Don't feel bad. My first steel was complete luck. No skill or anything. Now that I'm learning skills and finding out what to actually do..... I'm getting my tail whooped up and down different rivers. But I know this..... every minute, hour, day, week, month and year spent out on the water holds new experiences to learn from. That's what keeps me going. The hook ups and the fish jumps and all of it. I know the hard work will pay off. It'll be sweet as pie when it does.

N
ninja2010
thank you all for the encouraging words... i'm not feeling down or bad, just coming to terms with the whys and wherefores...

and i know the fishgods will give in coz i never give up... :D

A
Anyfishisfine
The fact we have so many examples of people here that are really good at it means that it's a quest for skill and not luck, even though that helps.

It's knowing it can be done, and there is no reason you aren't the one catching 9 in a day. That's why you keep trying.

N
ninja2010
and that's why i enjoy reading fish reports... they tell me, "yes, we can! yes, we can!" :lol::lol::lol: