I have a Cabela's gift card burning a hole in my pocket, what to get?

A

Anyfishisfine

I've been wanting to get into trout fly fishing for a long time, and with this gift card, now probably would be a good time.

I'd like to size it for trout, mostly for fishing cascade lakes when I'm camping this summer.

Obviously since it is a Cabela's card, that's where I need to source the rod, but I really don't know what to get, what's good, or what's junk. I think a combo would make the most sense cost-wise, and it looks like those come with line (which looks like it can be expensive by itself).

Cost wise, I'd like to try and spend no more than $150 if that means I can get something worth having.

Thanks for any help with this.

B

bigsteel

I took a look an=d the one on the left the cabellas Ltech fly rods would be my choice......i would get a nine foot 5 or 6 weight....it says they come spooled with backing fly line and leader so thats a big plus.try to buy decent flies the ones at sportsmans warehouse and places such as that dont last too long....

J

joesnuffy

I have a simular rod to this. I'd get it in the #5 or #6. A nine foot rod would be perfect.

A

adambomb

I would recommend their lightweight wading boots, with the studded felt sole. Best 35 bucks I've ever spent!!

A

Anyfishisfine

It's more that I wanted to spend, but it always seems to work that way with me. One thing I do know is that it won't gather dust once I get it, so I don't mind investing a bit more if it means a more satisfying experience.

After looking at my options I really like what I'm seeing with he RLS reel.
  • Rulon Drag
  • Machined, not cast
  • Over-sized to prevent coil memory on the line.
  • Lots of good reviews

I'm not sure about going 4 piece with the rod, but that seems to be what most of them are. It might be nice for hiking into places though. It's medium-fast action rather than the medium action recommended for beginners, but again, that seems to be what most of them are. I'll just have to practice before I go out.

Would I be going wrong with this setup?

N

ninja2010

i have a tfo spey rod and it's sweet - very well made, great action and good bang for the buck. (most fly rods are 4-piece and they are fine - no flat spots on ferrules). medium fast action just gives you slightly heftier backbone and faster recovery on the cast. get used to it, and you'll be fine.

the rls reels should work fine - if you're trout fishing with it, the drag property will not be a vital concern, you can always palm the reel for added drag.

and cabelas' customer service is awesome... if this setup doesn't work for you, just return it and get a different one. but i'm sure you'll love it, until you get totally hooked that is... then you'll be looking for more gift cards :lol::lol::lol:

J

joesnuffy

I have a #4 TFO rod that I love.

I actually found one of the line guides had broke after a summers use and after a few emails and only 2 weeks, I had a brand new TFO at my door. Great Company IMO.

B

bigsteel

tfo makes a great rod,,i like the 4 piece for packin around...i thinmk youll be happy with it...

A

Anyfishisfine

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and got it. Arrives a week from Monday.

G

Growbug

Thanks for the help. I went ahead and got it. Arrives a week from Monday.

i just got back from WWGrigg. Got a nice 4 piece 5/6wt 9ft'er for $40. Guy says they there are going to have another sale in a couple of weeks.
If you want/need a backup/spare fly rod, I can pick one up for you next time there is a sale. He throws in a rod tube too.

As a newbie to this fly fishing thing.. I found that getting a reel that takes cassettes is saving me a load of trouble. I now have 3 cassettes set up with different style lines (floating, slow sink tip and fast sink tip). I can swap them out on the bank! Mine is a Sth that came with a Cortland package.. I love it.

A

Anyfishisfine

Once I get the hang of trout fishing with one of these things I want to move up to a steelhead sized rig. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Top Bottom