I hate fiberglass

J
JeannaJigs
So I think I fixed my boat today. Time will tell when I test it, whether or not i sealed it. Seems like I did. It's crude, at best...but it's on the bottom so thankfully it's not visible lol. All I can say is it wasn't terribly difficult but the stuff is evil. I was high all afternoon and that's WITH a respirator. The fumes clung to my clothes something fierce!

However upon a detailed inspection of the rest of the bottom, I've decided it's in need of a complete restoration soon. It'll survive some winter trips but before summer it needs work. My question is does anyone know or recommend anyone to take it to? I want it done right and don't want to tackle that myself.

T
TTFishon
If you want I can ask a guy I know through work that either can do it himself or knows someone that can. I only know him from work but he's an honest person and he has the experience.

J
JeannaJigs
That would be great. I can't get it fixed for another 6 months or so due to finances and need to use it this winter, but come spring want to get it done, so thought I'd ask for input early. I was thinkin' of just getting a new boat, but, I'm in love with the way my boat handles, and we haven't even had our one year anniversary yet! so I can't give up on it yet lol. Basically needs a complete restoration of the bottom, and some work on worn spots of the interior, and paint, and will be new. I can do the paint. Just am completely done with the DIY fiberglass nastiness lol.

M
Mike123
Ehhh... this sucks.. I know someone in Lebanon who might do it for either real cheap or free.

J
JeannaJigs
Cheap or free would be nice :) It'll be good for some winter trips but definitely needs some tlc before summer

S
SantiamDrifter
Don the retired owner of SantiamDrifter. Although he's retired he still does some work. A friend got some work done 2 years back. Great quality work.

G
GDBrown
JeannaJigs said:
So I think I fixed my boat today. Time will tell when I test it, whether or not i sealed it. Seems like I did. It's crude, at best...but it's on the bottom so thankfully it's not visible lol. All I can say is it wasn't terribly difficult but the stuff is evil. I was high all afternoon and that's WITH a respirator. The fumes clung to my clothes something fierce!

However upon a detailed inspection of the rest of the bottom, I've decided it's in need of a complete restoration soon. It'll survive some winter trips but before summer it needs work. My question is does anyone know or recommend anyone to take it to? I want it done right and don't want to tackle that myself.

The trick to fixing the bottom is to turn the boat upside down FIRST. LOL

Next time leave the doors open and put a big A@# fan blowing the fumes out the door.

GD

F
fishnquest
Fiberglass is nasty stuff to work with. I have a 12ft fiberglass boat I've been working on for a couple years now. I always have to get myself mentally prepared to go work on it. So much prep time and clean-up after and I'm not so patient with either of those tasks. But I do like trying to improve my skills. It'll be a good tough boat when I'm done.