I got my first summer????

W
waco
After fishing saturday and casting out far trying to fish the middle of the river i look down and i thought :think: it might be a fish just right here under me so i cast about 10 feet from shore and in my second cast bobber down and ready to battle:dance::dance:!!!! I landed this very skiny but bright fish that make me think was a summer:think:!! i had to release it after some quick pics it was a native!!!! So is this a summer or a bright skinny late winter!!!!:think: image (2).jpegsummer or winter.jpeg

brandon4455
brandon4455
probably a fish that spawned and is headed back to the ocean. good thing you let it go. nice fish:clap:

W
waco
Well i dont think so Brandon it look very healthy and bright it was just a fresh fish!!!

B
beaverfan
You can tell by how skinny it is that it's definitely a down running winter. Otherwise known as re-brights, they get bright again after spawning.

J
JeannaJigs
For sure a spawned out winter. Still a nice fish. Not table fare but it's a native anyway so that solves that.

K
Kais
nice, you been getting some good fish!

M
Mad dog
Downriver fish for sure!

S
SantiamDrifter
On coastal rivers, Re-runs can come in, spawn, then head back out to the ocean in only a couple days. And I dont believe there are any truely native summer runs on any river west of the cascades. The first run of summer native steelhead being the Deschutes.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Yep, gettin' a bit snakey, good catch!

B
Bad Tuna
Many winter fish never even darken up. It's not unheard of to catch steelhead that have sealice while dropping eggs. The missing scales, blush cheek, matte silver color (vs. Chrome) and sunken belly all point to spawned out winter.

T
Troutier Bassier
SantiamDrifter said:
On coastal rivers, Re-runs can come in, spawn, then head back out to the ocean in only a couple days. And I dont believe there are any truely native summer runs on any river west of the cascades. The first run of summer native steelhead being the Deschutes.

Are you sure? What about the clackamas? and the sandy?

M
Mad dog
SantiamDrifter said:

What about the Rogue or the North Umpqua? I do believe Zane Grey wrote about catching summer steelhead in those rivers well before there were any hatcheries! Lot's of history on those 2 systems!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Kind of a weird statement.

B
Bad Tuna
Troutier Bassier said:

Sandy and Clack are all Skamania stock, and not native.

There is currently a study being conducted on the North Umpqua, according to OSU fisheries researchers, summer steelhead are not native to the North Umpqua. As for the Rogue, I don't know.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Thats crazy, i'd be interested to read up on that.

B
Bad Tuna
The study is about the viability of the wild fish, and if wild fish can be transported above removed dams to "reseed" waters that no longer have native stocks.

S
SantiamDrifter
Mad dog said:
What about the Rogue or the North Umpqua? I do believe Zane Grey wrote about catching summer steelhead in those rivers well before there were any hatcheries! Lot's of history on those 2 systems!

Ha I didn't even think about the rogue... Its too far south to cross my mind. I was only thinking about mid coast rivers and up.

W
waco
Troutier Bassier said:
well i have read a study about the summer in the clackamas and they are not native Summer steelhead were first introduced to the Clackamas River in 1970 so i think there is no true native steelhead in the clackamas!!! idk about the Sandy

M
metalfisher76
Sandy had the same fish stocked as the Clack for years. It`s the reason it`s open in the summer above the mouth of the salmon. Good biters, just not native. Yer fish is most definitely a winter. Winters from the clack and sandy are known for trying to return a second time. The more dams they encounter the less likely it`ll happen. Very excited to see what comes of the sandy run in the future. With Marmot gone and all....
Nice fish waco!

S
Steelheader4Life
The only North Coast river that has a true native summer run is the Siletz. I don't know about any rivers down south, but I'm sure on the Siletz.