I found Waldo...

Troutski
Troutski
I made it up to Waldo this morning, one spectacular lake. The water is so amazing, you can't do it Justis with a point and shoot camera. Wasn't a real fishing trip more of a nature excursion for my better half and a friend. Beautiful weather the water temp was mid fifties for most of the lake, a few shallow areas it jumped to 59 degrees. Quite a cross selection of crafts on the water, one very cool sail boat. The skeeters were relentless to say the least, thirsty little buggers. I did bring a rod and reel just in case I saw an area that screamed "try me", the sonar showed massive schools of fish hanging around 60 plus feet. The wind picked up in the late morning and the fish started to come up to the surface....:cool: One nice Brookie couldn't refuse my lure and made it to the net...My wife had never seen a Brookie before and this was a beauty, spent most of the day exploring the coves and islands and flailing arms to wort off herds of Mosquitoes.
Found a old abandoned attempt at water diversion project, very interesting lake and a lot more history than I figured on. Sure wish more people could enjoy this resource, very cool place. I mainly use this lake in the fall when the bugs are down for the year and one can really enjoy the lake.
Here are a few pictures...if you get the oppertunity to try this lake out I highly recommend it...

Chuck

D
Drice
Very Inspiring Post and pics. I am gonna be in the area starting tuesday and since Crane Prairie has the algae I might just have to make a trip out there. Thanks for the report!

Bass Man
Bass Man
Wonderful pictures Chuck and congrats on the Brookie. The water is so clear..makes a person want to jump in for a swim:) Where is Waldo Lake?

Troutski
Troutski
Hyw 58...

Hyw 58...

Bass Man said:
Wonderful pictures Chuck and congrats on the Brookie. The water is so clear..makes a person want to jump in for a swim:) Where is Waldo Lake?

Take hwy 58 from Springfield and head east through Oakridge toward Odell, the turn off coming from Oakridge is about 30 min. out of town. Turn left at the sign and then maybe 15 min on that road. There are two major camp grounds at the lake and one newer boat ramp at North Waldo and a more primitive ramp at the Shadow Bay camp ground. The camp ground was still closed but the bath rooms and ramp are open. Two days left on the outboard motors, after that bring a spare battery with that wind you will need it. Here is a map and site that will give you more information. Tight lines.

Chuck
Willamette National Forest - Waldo Lake

Bass Man
Bass Man
Thank you Chuck for the directions and website.

N
novicewila
it is a beautiful lake ; I used to pack into some of the highlake from waldo and make our base camp at waldo its self. Your right I think its a lot more enjoyable in the fall. I'm making plans to head up there in mid sept. I was raised in oakridge so this area was my back yard play ground; I miss it!

Troutski
Troutski
USFS -vs- Oregon...

USFS -vs- Oregon...

It appears that the judge involved with the case has seen fit to put the entire case on hold pending more evidence from the FEDS. So he decided to keep the lake as is for the time being. Good news for some of us, I know it has opened a new early summer fishery for me. So don't hurry up and make plans to go...;) not worth the trip anyway. Tight lines

541 782 2283 USFS at Westfir

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
More pictures...

More pictures...

A few more from Sunday, very cool place. By the way it was 137 miles round trip from Springfield.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
A few more from Sunday, very cool place. By the way it was 137 miles round trip from Springfield.

Chuck

I was just starting to calm down a little from the sheer beauty of the place during my visit up there last week and now you come a long and post a bunch of pictures...and a fish!!! Thanks a whole lot Chuck!!!

Troutski
Troutski
Rising fish...

Rising fish...

OnTheFly said:
I was just starting to calm down a little from the sheer beauty of the place during my visit up there last week and now you come a long and post a bunch of pictures...and a fish!!! Thanks a whole lot Chuck!!!

Here this should wet your appetite...by the time we left the fish were holding in the shady areas and rising to some sort of very small white terrestrial. I only brought one rod due to the fact that I wasn't really going to do any fishing..of course I brought my spinning rod;). If you plan on making a trip back there let me know and I can give you more accurate directions, trust me ;); would I lie to you...

Chuck

J
joemomma
oh my! That brings back some great memories! So if I understand ya right chuck, they still allow motors, time being! Dang that was a good time!:D

Troutski
Troutski
Called USFS...

Called USFS...

joemomma said:
oh my! That brings back some great memories! So if I understand ya right chuck, they still allow motors, time being! Dang that was a good time!:D

I called the USFS yesterday morning and spoke with the person in charge and his reply was"until further notice the ban on internal combustion motors is on hold" so we now have a window of opportunity; I for one am taking full advantage of it...
You are right, that was a great day on the water.

Chuck

S
Stoods
Waldo lake is one of the most impressive sights in Oregon. I've yet to fish the waters, but I know from experience that Chuck's photos are only the tip of the iceberg (those pics make me want to go back ASAP!). The lake is simply incredible.

I wasn't aware of the diversion project, but Wikipedia had this to say:

Starting in 1905 plans were begun to use the lake as a reservoir for irrigation in the Willamette Valley. To this end the Waldo Lake Irrigation and Power Company was created in 1908 by several people including F.H. Ray. In 1909 a permit was issued by the Forest Service to build a tunnel from the lake to a nearby creek. Construction of the tunnel began that year and finished in 1914 under the direction of engineer Simon Klovdahl. The 500-foot (150 m) tunnel was able to lower the lake level by 25 feet (7.6 m). However, the company was never able to prosper and the head gates on the SW shore were sealed in 1960.

I'm guessing they're talking about the dam-like structure in one of the photos.

As to the ban on motors, we'll see what happens. The dispute now is centered on whether Oregon or the Feds "own" the lake. If Oregon owns it, then the USFS can't put regulations on it. But Teddy Kulongoski has suggested that, should the lake come into state ownership, he'd implement a ban identical to what the USFS is trying to do.

At last estimate, only 5% of the boaters that ventured onto Waldo used an internal combustion engine. For the most part it's canoes, kayaks, and sail boats. The USFS indicated that the reason for the ban was to preserve the "aesthetics" of the campgrounds. Now, I'm all for preserving the beauty of the lake, but I couldn't justify an all-out ban on motors so easily. Unless there was a serious threat to the health of the lake, I would allow the 5% to continue to use their motors.

F
fishhead
Waldo

Waldo

It is the third purest body of water in the world.