I can go fishing anywhere in Oregon, where to go

F
Fred
My dad said he would take me fishing anywhere in Oregon so I have been thinking about where to go. However, I can't decide on where to go so if you guys could recommend some places that would be fun to go fishing at it would be appreciated. I have thought of surf fishing for surf perch because I have never caught one. But that's because I've never gone serf fishing I live close to the coast so I could do that later. I thought of Diamond Lake but I'm going there later in 2019. Some guy said John day and Deschutes river winter steelhead and trout would be fun. So I'm thinking Deschutes and John day or fishing at green peter reservoir so I can catch my first kokanee. Also is it legal to fish for bull trout on the upper Clackamas I know some states let you but some don't?

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

This is not the right time, for Kokanee. Fishing for them begins again, typically, in late Spring. And the streams that they've been spawning in; are all now closed.

From page 14 of the 2018 reg book..."Harvest of bull trout is severely restricted in Oregon". Then..."please refer to the regulations for the Willamette, Central, Northeast, and Southeast zones regarding bull trout". So each area, I surmise, has its own unique restrictions.

Oh...I'd target the 'Chutes Steel, if I had a choice.

Reactions: Fred
4labs
4labs
If you want to fish now then book a float trip on the Chetco for steelhead is your best bet or wait until march for springers on the Rogue

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
If you guys are fly fisherman then I would add the Fall River to the list of possibilities. I love fishing that when the snow is on the ground.

Reactions: troutdude and Fred
F
Fred
troutdude said:
Welcome to OFF.

This is not the right time, for Kokanee. Fishing for them begins again, typically, in late Spring. And the streams that they've been spawning in; are all now closed.

From page 14 of the 2018 reg book..."Harvest of bull trout is severely restricted in Oregon". Then..."please refer to the regulations for the Willamette, Central, Northeast, and Southeast zones regarding bull trout". So each area, I surmise, has its own unique restrictions.

Oh...I'd target the 'Chutes Steel, if I had a choice.
Sounds like Deschutes is my best Option. Also, can I just catch and release fish for bull trout?

F
Fred
TheKnigit said:
If you guys are fly fisherman then I would add the Fall River to the list of possibilities. I love fishing that when the snow is on the ground.
Yeah, I saw a video of people fly fishing at Fall river it looked beautiful and had big rainbows too. But I'm a noob at fly fishing so I'm going to practice a little more before I go on a fly fishing trip.

F
Fred
4labs said:
If you want to fish now then book a float trip on the Chetco for steelhead is your best bet or wait until march for springers on the Rogue
I heard the Chetco has big steelhead ill have to add it to my list.

troutdude
troutdude
Fred said:
Sounds like Deschutes is my best Option. Also, can I just catch and release fish for bull trout?

To the best of knowledge you can't legally "target" bull trout. Again...I highly recommend that you read the regs, for yourself. Oregon Game Wardens and/or Troopers FULLY EXPECT you to know, and understand the law, before you dunk your lines into any Oregon water body.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
Fred said:
Yeah, I saw a video of people fly fishing at Fall river it looked beautiful and had big rainbows too. But I'm a noob at fly fishing so I'm going to practice a little more before I go on a fly fishing trip.

That is the best time to give it a try. Most of the fly shops in the area a very friendly, and are more than happy to help you out with patterns that are working. If you are close enough to fish the Fall then you are relatively close to the Deschutes also. I am not completely sure on the regulations for that area this time of year. Like @troutdude said, make sure you take a close look at the regs for wherever you decide to go.

TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have said this a couple of times on threads like this, but a place I really want to go back to is the Ana. You can camp and fish at the lake and it isn't much of a walk to the river. Both are open year round and you can use bait. However, one of those big redbands on a fly rod is a heck of a time. If you don't want to camp at the lake this time of year, those winds can be rather brutal, then there is always the Summer Lake Lodge. Which has a pretty darn good restaurant. Depending on if you can get booked for a table the Cowboy Tree restaurant is a really cool place as well.

Southpaw
Southpaw
If you want to specifically target bulls then your best bet is the metolius, if your fly fishing you better bring some big rods if your targeting them unless you want to break off or possibly break gear. Think 8wt single hand as a minimum. Bulls elsewhere are illegal to deliberately target. There are some big ones around and fought hard, I know as I posted a recent photo of a pig recently

Reactions: troutdude
F
Fred
Southpaw said:
If you want to specifically target bulls then your best bet is the metolius, if your fly fishing you better bring some big rods if your targeting them unless you want to break off or possibly break gear. Think 8wt single hand as a minimum. Bulls elsewhere are illegal to deliberately target. There are some big ones around and fought hard, I know as I posted a recent photo of a pig recently
Yeah, I saw that beautiful fish. Made me want to catch one xD

Southpaw
Southpaw
Upper lower Deschutes could be good, opportunities for both steelhead and writer trout can be really good in winter so double down on species in the same location with just some different rigs