I am ready

P
plunkme
im ready to head out and get my fish on, anyone have any idea if the fish is anywhere between riverside, and clackamette park? those are the only areas i know, if anyone wants to show me around that would be great too, im not trying to go too far

A
ArcticAmoeba
Springers will be here in due time... They are less than a month away from being all up and down the Clack. Some Winters are still filing in though. Theres usually a couple in every good drift on the lower river.

L
luv2fish
Hey AA..why not take a bunch of us on your nook slaying trip. I'll wait till nooks are all over in clack..will sure help me refine my drift skills..once i fish with pros....

C
cchinook
Clack

Clack

Mid May - end of July - 25 yrs . of slaying chrom nooks - at McIver Park -
man I wish it was May !!!

P
plunkme
i second love to fish...... Has anyone been to meldrum bar lately? hows the fishing there?

G
GreenDrifter
cchinook said:
Mid May - end of July - 25 yrs . of slaying chrom nooks - at McIver Park -
man I wish it was May !!!

I will second that!!! BOBBER DOWN!!!!!!

N
ninja2010
i'd sure like to get into some of that bobber down action with chinooks.

how different is it compared to steelhead? bigger setup? jigs? bait?

just wondering what i need to do to get ready...:think:

A
ArcticAmoeba
Hahaha, no doubt Chris! You know that slot below Dog. Springers are a fun fish!

You can run just about anything you want under a float, but I prefer bait, specifically eggs. Although, I rocked "Springers" out on spinners, as well as bait all Summer long, into August. You do rig differently, because the fish fight differently than Steelhead, and they simply out weigh them by at least 2-500%. Bu I have, and will again I'm sure, get into Chinook on 6 or 8 lb. leader drifting Summer Steel, in this one stretch. I banked many on 8 lb. Siege this summer, so theoretically you should need a bigger leader, but I imagine if your Steel gear is stout enough, it will handle the Clack springers. I have an 8-12 and 15 pound mainline, and 12 pound leaders. Simple drifting setup, but it works. Rig a float for deep, deep holes. It is impossible to get a drift that is "fishing" in many places, on the Clack at least. It is just the way it is shaped on the bottom. There is even a super duper Chinook hole at Riverside, that is fishable with a properly set float system. Very, very productive.

N
ninja2010
okay, sounds like i'm good with the rigs i have. is this riverside hole accessible from the bank?

A
ArcticAmoeba
Sort of. You can hit the very tail edge of the hole, and pick up plenty of Chinook for sure... But the easiest way is to bring the toon, hike it up above the riffle, and paddle up stream, and hit the other bank. From there you can actually get a full drift through the slot on the far side of the river, where the wall is.

N
ninja2010
i know exactly where you're referring to... thanks, aa.

P
plunkme
is that across from the place you took me to awhile back AA? that deep hole infront of the inlet that is like 30ft deep? you think a float tube and fins will make it across that rapid:lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
That is the place Alan. Yup. If you have a float tube, it is even easier. You have to pack it all the way up to the top of that riffle, but if you can put it in at the deep hole, and fin up river just around the corner, you should be golden. The water doesn't get fast, fast until the head of the rapid section. I fish that far bank from just above, and around the corner from the riffle.

O
osmosis
to my understanding the bank you guys are talking about across from the 30' hole is private property. secure permission before you go over there.

A
ArcticAmoeba
It is, but I got told by a person on that bank that if you leave a note in the mailbox on Clack River road, that it was alright. I guess you just look for the white box that says "Kramer's." I have no idea if he was tossin BS but it seemed alright, I once saw a few folks plunked in there for Coho last fall. I have yet to bank it there, except to fight some Steelhead that ran me down from ther drift above it... But I anchor up above the hole and line a diver in. That is the best way to make sure your float, or diver in my case, stays in the "hole." Is to be out in the river. And if you really wanted to push it, stay below the high water line. No pioneer permits on the Clack, so technically it should be legal... But as Osmosis said, secure permission, and be careful.