I am haunted by waters

B
bigsteel
some good scenes from a river runs through it..........the blackfoot river and a four count.

H
halibuthitman
You should read the book if you havent.. way better, Norman also wrote a great book about the death of a whole firecrew in the bitterroot valley called Of Young Men and Fire... an exellent read-

troutdude
troutdude
bigsteel said:
some good scenes from a river runs through it..........the blackfoot river and a four count.

Me thinks that SOMEONE (not naming any names here), is dreaming heavily of flippin their fly rod around this spring!

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
You should read the book if you havent.. way better, Norman also wrote a great book about the death of a whole firecrew in the bitterroot valley called Of Young Men and Fire... an exellent read-

i just found that book your talkin about,,im gonna buy it..i like the movie so the book should be way more detailed..thanks for the idea brad

B
bigsteel
troutdude said:
Me thinks that SOMEONE (not naming any names here), is dreaming heavily of flippin their fly rod around this spring!

oh i am ready to hit the water,,,,tomorrow is the day i start my 2011 fishing adventures

O
OnTheFly
Thanks for that Dave. It's not just about catching the big fish..is it. The book is short but like Brad said..it's good.

T
Throbbit _Shane
bigsteel said:
oh i am ready to hit the water,,,,tomorrow is the day i start my 2011 fishing adventures

I look forward to your 2011 adventures. good luck!

Irishrover
Irishrover
I remember the movie and I'm sure the book is better. He also had a good one "A Hole in the Sky". Time for a trip to Amazon.com for me. Just a side note did you notice that the reels on those fly rods were set up for right hand retrieve. Just thought that was interesting and wonder if somewhere along the line some fly fishing fellow figured out to flip the reel around to the othere side.

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
Throbbit _Shane said:
I look forward to your 2011 adventures. good luck!

thanks man,you will be in the adventures when i get down to the rogue

B
bigsteel
OnTheFly said:
Thanks for that Dave. It's not just about catching the big fish..is it. The book is short but like Brad said..it's good.

correct,its about being in the environment that gives me sanity

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
I remember the movie and I'm sure the book is better. He also had a good one "A Hole in the Sky". Time for a trip to Amazon.com for me. Just a side note did you notice that the reels on those fly rods were set up for right hand retrieve. Just thought that was interesting.
lol, I'm goofy like that myself. That's how I'm set up. I cast with my right arm then switch hands to fight the fish then palming the reel with my right. But this is all understandable as I do evrything else right handed except eating and shooting a rifle.:confused: My parents must of dropped me on my head when I was little.

brandon4455
brandon4455
troutdude said:

i am!!!!

H
halibuthitman
can anyone spot the granger flyrod that is 20 yrs newer than the period of the movie?... ready.... set... go!

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
can anyone spot the granger flyrod that is 20 yrs newer than the period of the movie?... ready.... set... go!
I'll take your word for it. Good observation!

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
My personal favorite. A great film.

G
GDBrown
Flippen a reel!

Flippen a reel!

Irishrover said:
......Just a side note did you notice that the reels on those fly rods were set up for right hand retrieve. Just thought that was interesting and wonder if somewhere along the line some fly fishing fellow figured out to flip the reel around to the other side.

It depends on the reel, some are easy to flip like my Pflueger Medalist, other reels your just out of luck unless you bought it right the first time. Most reels can be ordered as left or right handed. I prefer to not change hands while fighting a fish once it's hooked:shock: so mine are left hand retrieve only. I've tried it both ways and I just can't cast left handed, go figure, I'm a righty all the way when it comes to holding a rod.

H
halibuthitman
If you watch for the whole movie, you will see that Brad Pitt and Tom Skerrit are both left handed.

H
halibuthitman
The early rods portrayed, and the ones used by the kids are 8 1/2 Grangers, by the end of the movie they are casting walton powell hexograph rods that have been built dated.. all of the reels exept one are a pflueger medalist 1496.. the lines are courtland and in the shadow casting segment it is triangle taper.. none of the gear in the movie is period correct... the 1496 did not come into production until 1929.

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:
The early rods portrayed, and the ones used by the kids are 8 1/2 Grangers, by the end of the movie they are casting walton powell hexograph rods that have been built dated.. all of the reels exept one are a pfluegar medalist 1496.. the lines are courtland and in the shadow casting segment it is triangle taper.. none of the gear in the movie is period correct... the 1496 did not come into production until 1929.

Its just a movie;)

H
halibuthitman
bigsteel said:
Its just a movie;)
just the little things I pay attention to... But I don't really care, sometimes I don't like being alone with myself...it scares me