Hw to fish bass jigs?

brandon4455
brandon4455
like i have said before i have not fished very many baits for bass and im trying to widen my arsenal.. here in town there are some strike king pro rattle jigs..bluegill color (my fav) red hooks and the whole 9 yards seen a lot of fish caught on em and wanted to see if anyone had tips on how to fish them.. i already know they work well with trailers.

N
nwkiller
I have had luck using a start and stop method....reel, reel, reel...pause..repeat

T
tomriker
you can use about any plastic as a trailer, but i like BIG trailers. i usually use jigs around trees or in holes so i just drop the jig all the way to the bottom and "jig" it up and down reeling it in after a few jigs. sorry if that doesn't make sense but it made sense in my head as i was explaining it :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i think i understand :) thanks guys. i think ill grab one to try out.

T
tomriker
FP has told me before "find the biggest nastiest brambly tree, and that's where the big bass are at" thats one reason i like to use 50pound braided line and i just drop my jig right into the middle of a big mess and i usualy catch some there! i have more bent jig hooks than you'd think from getting snagged and thinking it was a fish then having to just rip the jig out of there, therefore bending the hook all to hell

D
Darthbeans
Depending the type of jig your using there are quite a few ways to fish them. Bigger ones like tom said work just as described....swim jigs work well with a steady retreive. I use oversize jigs for mat punching. But overall most can just be bounced of the bottom or drug slowly depending on bottom type, rocks, weeds etc

F
Finneus Polebender
Have never played w/ the swim jigs ,and what TR said is about my knowledge when it comes to the jigs , they have been a big bass bait of choice for years and for a good reason ,one of the few that will penetrate heavy cover effectively .Think I missed my only chance at a true hog out at TRs last year because I had switched to 20lb braid .I felt the thump and the line draw tight but when I set the hook it was one huge pull and snap the fraid braid told the rest of the story! needless to say the 50lb went back on my reels that day, hopefully this year will bring me another chance at a beast!

C
colbypearson
theres more ways to fish a jig than anything, a lot people have never done.. the details are in the specifics... the smallest of changes will get you the most bites, talk to me on facebook sometime i could write a book on jig fishing.

C
colbypearson
Finneus Polebender said:
Have never played w/ the swim jigs ,and what TR said is about my knowledge when it comes to the jigs , they have been a big bass bait of choice for years and for a good reason ,one of the few that will penetrate heavy cover effectively .Think I missed my only chance at a true hog out at TRs last year because I had switched to 20lb braid .I felt the thump and the line draw tight but when I set the hook it was one huge pull and snap the fraid braid told the rest of the story! needless to say the 50lb went back on my reels that day, hopefully this year will bring me another chance at a beast!

ya that braid sucks for hooksets i break stuff off all the time setting the hook with under 40lb braid it can't take that instant snap and it gives in, honestly even 50 is sketchy as crazy as that sounds i really like to use a mono or co-polymer 20-30lb leader about 5'10'

R
ryan808
Another Jigstah :D I like to throw the jig when ever I can, I always have a rod rigged witha jig on. Like Colby said there are a lot of ways to fish the jig. I would say most of the hits Ive had has been on the drop so I start off with a swim like pattern and if taht doesn't work then I like to hit bottom and pop the jig up a little, retrieve some and repeat. I also like to throw a trailer on and depending on how slow I want the drop I increase the size. I have had luck with Netbaits Paca Chunk, the perfect size for the jigs I use. Good luck on the jig fishing, there nothing like that thug you get from fishing a jig.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ill hit you up tomorrow colby. im going to partay tonight!!! Lol

C
colbypearson
brandon4455 said:
ill hit you up tomorrow colby. im going to partay tonight!!! Lol

because its friday, friday, friday.... i hate that video

G
GerbilManBoa
Buzzbait?

Buzzbait?

Anybody like to use buzzbaits? I have a brand new booyah buzzbait I got on clearence. It's color is firetiger. Any advice on when & where to us it in the North Willamette zone and/or the Northwest zone?

G
GerbilManBoa
by the way, nice fish everyone!