Hunting Eel

F
fishnquest
I found a dead lamprey eel on the bank Monday. I was thiniking about trying to collect a few of those critters, maybe this summer. Does anyone know what habitat they prefer?
I am hundreds of miles inland from the coast, high up on the river. In the summer, you can pretty much walk anywhere in the river or use the many swimming holes. It is low, clean, and mostly slow in the summer. Almost all rock or rocky bottom.
Or I could go furher upstream where it starts turnng into various streams with mud bottom and more vegitation.
Are there any eel collectors out there in OFF land?

H
Hawk
So i guess they are living in freshwater Bro.

We would see eel & sea snake in the coral around the Hawaiian Islands.

:)
:cool:

F
fishnquest
They are in fresh water. They look like lamprey eel to me; maybe some other variety eel, I don't know. The one I found was dried up, about 7-8" long, mouth open, big sharp teeth.

B
beaverfan
Be careful gathering live ones. Up here some species are endangered and protected.

F
fishnquest
Yeah, I thought about that. I don't think they are protected. I don't remember seeing anything in the regs about eel, but I'll check again before I looking for them. Good sturgeon bait.

I looked it up in the regs:
"The bag limit for lamprey is reduced to 5 and the use of traps is no longer allowed."
Now I just gotta make sure what species I'm targeting. I guess I'll take a close look at one in my freezer from xtremenorthwest. I never paid much attention to what they really look like, but they catch sturgeon pretty good.

Last edited:
H
Hawk
Is that in the Eel River where you found it?

H
Hawk
fishnquest said:
Yeah, I thought about that. I don't think they are protected. I don't remember seeing anything in the regs about eel, but I'll check again before I looking for them. Good sturgeon bait.

Back in 1990 a man caught a 99lb Sturgeon in the San Luis Res Forebay. That fish had to have come from the Delta, by Tracy, through all the gates on the California Aquaduct. Then Grow UP.

:shock::shock:
:lol::lol::lol:

F
fishnquest
Yep, found it on the bank of the Eel river, how ironic.

T
the_intimidator03
I thought that the fishing regulations pamphlet said harvest was only allowed at Willamette falls? and a special permit required for them along with not being able to use as bait?
Still not sure if its legal as bait or not something in my head keeps telling me no but not telling me the source of that.

Ok here is what i found in General regulations
1. May be taken at Willamette Falls only
2. Must have in possession both a personal use permit and a possession permit issued from ODFW Northwest Region Office in Clackamas when harvesting lamprey.
3. Must have a possession permit to possess lamprey. Possession permit does not authorize harvest of lamprey.
4. Season, Harvest hours and possession limits established by the oregon fish and wildlife commission are printed on personal use permit.
5. Lamprey harvest permit with completed catch information must be turned in to the northwest region office within 30 days of the end of the season. Failure to report annual catch may jeopradize your ability to obtain a lamprey harvest permit in the future

also they may be harvested by hand or power tools.

B
bigdog
Ok now this is getting me interested, harvesting by hand or power tool? I have never wanted or thought about going after a eel and never will but now I want to know about the methods to do so. So they saying to grab one of these large toothed things with your hand or talking about a hand tool? Also what does the tool look like? A power tool does that mean you harvest them with a black and decker? :lol: I'm just trying to picture this now, any help on these thoughts would be great. I like to learn new things and when it comes to new things like this that sound weird well I want to know even more :lol:

CJ

O
OnTheFly
bigdog said:
Ok now this is getting me interested, harvesting by hand or power tool? I have never wanted or thought about going after a eel and never will but now I want to know about the methods to do so. So they saying to grab one of these large toothed things with your hand or talking about a hand tool? Also what does the tool look like? A power tool does that mean you harvest them with a black and decker? :lol: I'm just trying to picture this now, any help on these thoughts would be great. I like to learn new things and when it comes to new things like this that sound weird well I want to know even more :lol:

CJ

LOL..like with a SawZall

B
bigdog
Hawk said:
Have you ever gone Noodling for Catfish, etc??

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Noodling for catfish - Google Search

No I haven't I have seen it done on tv and think it is some crazy $#%@. Wouldn't mind trying it sometime but there is no way I would stick my hand in the mouth of one of them eels oh hell no. I don't even know if I could bring myself to stick my hand in a cat fish's mouth either. I think I'll stick to the rod and reel method.

CJ

W
watchout trout
I found one on the bank of the Siletz one time. it had a corkie and hook in its mouth. Man it was ugly. Huge nasty teeth.

F
fishnquest
Sorry to mess you up, intimidator. The Eel is in Ca.

Bigdog, If I were to find them, I think I would start by using a net; make one if need be. The Eel is quite shallow in the summer where I am; I might be able to catch them with a glove. I was talking to my brother-in-law on the phone about the lamprey. He lives on the Trinity (ca). He told me his 14 year old son catches them in the river in the summer by hand. He just corrals them and catches them. He didn't know too much about it, he just finds them in the river.

F
fishnquest
watchout trout said:
I found one on the bank of the Siletz one time. it had a corkie and hook in its mouth. Man it was ugly. Huge nasty teeth.

Yeah, ok we are talking about the same beast. The one I found, I didn't know what it was. I picked it up because I pick up litter and it looked like a slim jim or something. I turned it over; mouth wide open, big nasty teeth.

Hawk, Jim, you guys crack me up.

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
ah ok... i thought it was oregon so i just thought i would make it known in case it was over looked. as far as tools... how bout them old granny grabby things so they dont have to get out of the wheelchair or what not to grab stuff lol.

H
Hawk
bigdog said:
No I haven't I have seen it done on tv and think it is some crazy $#%@. Wouldn't mind trying it sometime but there is no way I would stick my hand in the mouth of one of them eels oh hell no. I don't even know if I could bring myself to stick my hand in a cat fish's mouth either. I think I'll stick to the rod and reel method.

CJ

Yep, i've seen some folks Noodlin' on the Mississippi River, butt i woodn't do er. I need my hands. My Mama didn't raise no fool.

hahaha

T
TTFishon
Hawk said:
I'm sorry Bro but i cain't see the Video's with Dial em up innernet, that i have way out heer in the boonies.

:confused:
:rolleyes:
:(:(

Well I'm sure you can picture it. I'd be too afraid of finding a snapping turtle and losing a finger or two.