Huge sockeye run!!!

B
beaverfan
I know we've all heard about the huge Sockeye run we've got going on in the Columbia and that they're opening it up for fishing I think July 1st. Well I was just reading this article I found and in the last like 2 days we've had more Sockeye go over Bonneville than the 10 year average.

Now how do I catch me some? LOL

T
Thuggin4Life
Any trolling tips would be nice.

B
beaverfan
I wonder if kokanee methods work? Like hoochies and stuff.

C
Cohosanders
Once Sockeyes enter the fresh water, grow that hooked jaw and gnarly teeth...they usually do not bite from what I have heard. I know this is true in Alaska, but I am unsure about down here. I bet the mouth of Columbia might be productive.

troutdude
troutdude
Do all those buggers boogie on up to spud country and bypass us? Or, do any of our Columbia tribs see any of them?

A
autofisher
I think they boogie. And from what I've seen/heard they don't bite. Of course, I've been known to be wrong a few times. I've never caught one.

B
beaverfan
I don't know, I've read a good number of reports of guys out on the Columbia fishing for the June hogs hooking into them.

O
Outdoor_Myers
I read red works really good but i can't remember for the life of me where I read that I think on the salmon university website

O
osmosis
small spinners in the same water the steelhead run. we even get them on plugs.

T
Troutier Bassier
sound kinda fishy too me, if salmon habitat is being destroyed by dams and the predator population is higher then ever, how is there such giant runs? Last years huge Coho run. Huge spring chinook run, Now a huge sockeye run??

M
metalmania
Troutier Bassier said:
sound kinda fishy too me, if salmon habitat is being destroyed by dams and the predator population is higher then ever, how is there such giant runs? Last years huge Coho run. Huge spring chinook run, Now a huge sockeye run??

I think it has to do with the good ocean conditions while the fish were still in the salt.

T
Thuggin4Life
yes every little bit plays into it. and good ocean conditions help. a few years back they shut down the salmon fishing in my neck of the woods because of a bad run. next year could be the worst run ever, you just never know.

Y
youngbuck307
I know a few people picking them up on lower C on red spin and glows while plinking in years past they said they did ok on them was worth fish for them at least.

M
muskieguide
A flasher and 2 red hooks works well or a diver and 2 red hooks. Metallic red plugs and spinners also do real well for us. there's several different ways to fish em all in the columbia. hope that helps