Huddleston Pond open?

J
joel.fish
Is Huddleston Pond open year round? I know they stock in the the winter.

A
alm21
Yes, they stocked it last week. Went there with the kids last week after they stocked it and was skunked. Didn't see anyone else catch anything either but did see a couple guys leave with what looked like fish in a bag. The weeds/underwater vegetation is really bad right now.

troutdude
troutdude
It was indeed stocked last week (mid week confirmation, from ODFW). They plopped 350 14" bows in there.

Huddleston is not listed under special zone regs. Therefore, it is one that is open year around.

J
joel.fish
Thanks for the information. Sometimes the weeds get bad at Hagg...about three feet tall so you need to set the weight high if you fish the bottom.

I am a newer fisherman; do I need to fish the bottom this time of year?

troutdude
troutdude
joel.fish said:
Thanks for the information. Sometimes the weeds get bad at Hagg...about three feet tall so you need to set the weight high if you fish the bottom.

I am a newer fisherman; do I need to fish the bottom this time of year?

Hagg you say? I thought we were talking about Huddleston. Misprint I'm sure...LOL.

I've only been to Huddleston once. Tried it in my tube. It really sucked due to those frickin' weeds! The best spots are in front of (or near) the outtake channel.

Fish are SLOW and lethargic due to cold weather. They won't move far for food. So, I wouldn't bother casting spinners or spoons. I would try a slip bobber w/ worms (and scent). Or a slip bobber and Pautzke's eggs (or Power Eggs w/ Trout Jelly or scent). Just let it sit.

J
joel.fish
Thanks for the tips!

I was asking about Huddleston. I was just sharing an experience when I went to Hagg and was using powerbait on the bottom of the lake floor. I had three feet between the weight and the hook on the leader line so that it floated above the weeds there.

I am going down there next week I think. I will tell you how it went then.

troutdude
troutdude
You're most welcome. BTW, welcome to OFF!

Yep, floating your bait a foot or so above the weed beds is where you want to be.

You could also try that rig, at Huddleston. Maybe the weeds aren't so bad in the winter. And you can use a syringe to pump some air into a worm. It'll help it float. So does a worm / marshmellow combo.

J
joel.fish
Thanks for the tips and the welcome to OFF. However I have been here awhile, I just don't post much.

I will see how I do down there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
if i go with mr.troutdude, ill be using my fly rod (ive lost 3 spinning rods in the past 5 mont due to shnapping on a backcast or beong swept dow creek) ill have a worm munder a strike indicator (no flies yet and worms will have to do) :p

J
JHawk
Been out to Huddleson the last two weekends and got absolutely skunked. Supposedly the dumped 30 brooders in there week before last, but we haven't seen anyone fishing it on the days we went, and we're not getting any nibbles or anything. The weeds are definitely bad; only a couple of feet of open water near the banks, although I'm not sure about farther out.

Any body had any luck out at Huddleston (or Sheridan)?

troutdude
troutdude
What have you been using, to hook 'em? Have you fished the surface, or down deep?

I'd think that most of the weeds would have died by now, in this cold / dark weather.

J
JHawk
We've been using dry flies (stimulators) and some wets (wooly buggers, scuds, and San Juan worms).

troutdude
troutdude
I'm no fly expert; but hatches aren't really happening now are they? If not, dries probably won't work. They won't appear natural at this time of year.

I rarely get duped when using the trusty woolly buggers. I also like Teeny Nymphs. SLOW is key.