How's the Sandy?

S

seanteevlo

Anyone been out to the Sandy since the new rains? How is it?

F

FishFinger

Haven't made it out myself this week, however all signs point to an up tick in action. As well as the rains, we are starting to work out of a new moon phase. The next few weeks should be productive for winter steel and perhaps an early nook or two.

V

VagrantAngler

A buddy of mine and I are going out to Dodge tomorrow; anybody hit it today? I was on the clack up at McIver today and heard reports of a few hooked in the morning ubt nothing in the 2 hours I was there.

S

seanteevlo

how far up?

how far up?

Yeah all signs do point to it being really good. I'm just trying to figure out if the fish were mostly hanging out in the Columbia or at the mouth waiting for a big rain (therefore good fishing in the lower river), or if they were in the river already and just waiting for the water to come up (making the middle and upper river good). It's hard to figure out especially with the dam out. It seems like the fish are much more likely to head farther upriver now. Let us know if anyone hears.

M

mgdguy

I'll be hitting it tomorrow. I'll let you know how long it takes to limit out... :pray:

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
The Sandy at Dodge Park looked great today. The water was up and good steelhead green color to it. I fished from 1pm to 4:30 pm no hookups. Maybe tomorrow!!!!!!!!

V

VagrantAngler

I left there around Noon. nothing for me or my buddy.

Nothing but a walk down by Cedar creek...

Water was looking good though nice and cold with the snow melt

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Skunked at Oxbow and Dodge today :mad:

What time were you at Dodge? I was there from 2:30 till 5:30. The water sure looked good and I saw lots of folks fishing. Saw three pontoons floating down and taking out at Dodge. One toon landed a fish up river but that's the only one I heard about. Not sure where to go tomorrow but I'll be out there somewhere.

M

mgdguy

I was actually up past the garbage hole till around 1pm. It was pretty dead up there. While at Oxbow a large toon with two fisherman came by around 11am, with steel limits in the boat.

I'll be back out tomorrow as well. The water looks good! Just need the fish to cooperate ;)

M

mgdguy

Saturday

Saturday

Skunked again today, up above the garbage hole all morning hitting a few spots. NO action up there. :(

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Got a late start didn't hit the river till 3pm. Just as I pulled up at Dodge Park there was a guy fighting a fish. He landed and released a nice native. The water was a wee bit lower than yesterday but still nice. There was some wind which made it seem colder still trying to warm up. Brrrrrrrrrr

F

FishKiller23

Well first off I am back to the forum. I been super busy and I thought I need to get out there and get them fish. Any one have any tips or what they are using to catch fish? Also what are running just steelies or? also can u fish for them 5 days a week. I am still a noob thanks

Irishrover

Irishrover

Most Featured
Well first off I am back to the forum. I been super busy and I thought I need to get out there and get them fish. Any one have any tips or what they are using to catch fish? Also what are running just steelies or? also can u fish for them 5 days a week. I am still a noob thanks

Welcome back. In the Sandy it's winter steelhead seven days a week. Folks are ususing bobbers and jigs also drift fishing,and some swinging flies.

F

FishKiller23

What type of jigs. And how are they riging them up? I'd be using a spining reel with like 8-12 LB test depending on what u guys think would be good.

Thanks

F

FishFinger

10 to 12 lb mainline should work fine. Depending on the current where you'll be angling, a fair amount of finesse might be need if it runs with fast water.
But that's what makes it exciting... Man vs Fish.

L

luv2fish

Got a late start didn't hit the river till 3pm. Just as I pulled up at Dodge Park there was a guy fighting a fish. He landed and released a nice native. The water was a wee bit lower than yesterday but still nice. There was some wind which made it seem colder still trying to warm up. Brrrrrrrrrr

Its the east wind man..cold and blunt....kills the fishing too...

A

ArcticAmoeba

I got out and hit it for a couple hours on Saturday. I normally dread the weekend targeting, but two friends really wanted to smash up a few Steelhead. I got two up above the Salmon hole, one on a yarnie, and the other on eggs. And the friends got one each from a couple drifts above Oxbow, and one below Camp Angelos. Both of 'em were on a couple spinners I twisted up. The rest of the drift was blank for both of 'em. I have been picking up a couple of tips, and techniques for Sandy specific, plug driving from Snagged. Yes, Kraig. I listen to you sometimes! Haha! We did get two takedowns on a HotShot, and his favorite, a Tadpolly. They were Suckers though. Wind sure didn't turn off the fishing for us. We even got to sidedrift the lower river with all the wind, and had two missed hits. One we got 5 or 6 headshakes out of! Meh, the wiley, Sea-Run Rainbow! Whadda ya gonna do!

Raj, you would have missed our two best Springer days on the big river last year if you stayed home for an Easterly blow! Our two days where two guys spent less than 20 minutes on the boat were days when the east wind was a constant 15 plus right at your back. the 20 minutes included anchor time, and set-ups too. I realyy don't think the fish care what direction the wind is howling. Just as long as the angler is at his/her most miserable. Those are my best days.

Last edited: