Howmade scents anyone?

F
FishSchooler
It would be awesome if I could make some homemade scents, cause they seem easy to make. All you need is to make it smell like the real thing and keep it from rotting right? Like egg scents, maybe taking some eggs, mushing it up, adding borax, anise, etc. then bottling it up? Or shrimp/prawns, take some prawns, mush them up, then... adding some prawn cure or something? Any recipies would be awesome, I know that anise is widely used in scents, but I dunno what. Trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, any scent for any common fish would be good fo me. :)

F
FishFinger
Well little buddy, I have no advice for you on this matter. I carry a bottle of smelly jelly shrimp scent, but I think more has leaked onto the truck seat than has ever been put on a hook.

One thing I can say is NO BANANAs anywhere near anything your going to fish with.

P
phish-on
FishFinger said:
Well little buddy, I have no advice for you on this matter. I carry a bottle of smelly jelly shrimp scent, but I think more has leaked onto the truck seat than has ever been put on a hook.

One thing I can say is NO BANANAs anywhere near anything your going to fish with.

why no bananas? does that include dried?

F
FishFinger
Ok, so it's probably a myth but I have had 3 skipppers refuse to allow any bananas on board.

And if I told fishschooler not to... He probably would.

F
FishSchooler
FishFinger said:
And if I told fishschooler not to... He probably would.

???:lol::D:lol:

Ye, I know about bananas, they cause salmon to lock their jaws... Whenever I see you, ima put on my homemade exploding spinner called the banana bomb, yellow banana shape blade, kidney body, and a weird hook with a piece o banana dangling from behind... :mad::lol::D;):dance::naughty::rolleyes::cool:

H
Hawk
summtimes i uses crawdaddy or shad scent..........................it seeems to work......................................:D

F
FishSchooler
did you make it or buy it?:think:

H
Hawk
I bought it in a baitstore. It came in a pump spray bottle. I didn't use the stuff very often..........................:D

F
FishSchooler
Oki dokies................... gotcha ya thar...........................................................:D

H
Hawk
In my opinion Pileworms are the best worm live bait. I caught a lot of fish using them in CA. I've never seen them in OR & i don't know if they are legal here. They live in ocean water sloughs............................:D

Catch a Big UN.......................................:D

F
FishSchooler
Whatta are pileworms................................? Are those thar little critters....................that have legs and eyes but look like................................worms? Do they live way out in thar..............................ocean............................:D

F
FishSchooler
I mixed up some stuff just now. 1 fluid oz of anise extract, a little bit of vanilla extract, some salt, some granulated garlic, and some mike's crayfish scent to give some color and krillish scent, then some pellets of pink pb to give more of that krillish scent, and some flour to thicken it up. I reused my anise container, and it filled to the top, none left over... how does that work? Anyway, it smells bad. But it does smell like crayfish with garlic with anise on your dinner plate... I should tape on a NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION sign... :lol: Ill be testing it next time I go to hagg... which will be in early november or next year....:pray:

M
meluvtrout
FishSchooler said:
It would be awesome if I could make some homemade scents, cause they seem easy to make. All you need is to make it smell like the real thing and keep it from rotting right? Like egg scents, maybe taking some eggs, mushing it up, adding borax, anise, etc. then bottling it up? Or shrimp/prawns, take some prawns, mush them up, then... adding some prawn cure or something? Any recipies would be awesome, I know that anise is widely used in scents, but I dunno what. Trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, any scent for any common fish would be good fo me. :)

There's one that I read and somewhere and made at home. Seems to work for stocked trout, but if you want give it a try.
You need:
flour
water
garlic powder or garlic salt
food coloring

You mix the flour and garlic salt, slowly add water while kneading and make a big pile of dough out of it.
Add the food coloring and knead a little more to mix in the color (I used green food dye and also added some glitter bought from Michael's)
Make small round nuggets(like powerbait)
Boil them for about 30 minutes in a large pot.
Here is the tricky part. When you boil them they become all slimy so bake them in a conventional oven until they turn a little brown(I used broil option for about 15 minutes)
Until this point if you haven't added any glitter, you can eat them as well... If you did, just get a big jar and store them in your freezer. You can keep these forever in the freezer, they won't go bad. And everytime you open the jar, it'll smell super garlicy...

I also found a super easy way to make egg pattern hooks. Go to any of the Arts'n'Crafts stores like Michael's and ask for colored pompoms. A bag is usually around $1-$2 and has about 50 to 100 pompoms in it. Also get some super glue while you're there. Simply slide a pompom on the hook, put some superglue on the shaft and here you go. You've got yourself nice looking egg pattern hooks. Add some scent on about every 10 cast and you should be golden.

I also made some super sweet weddingrings from freshwater pearls. They are killer for trout and I'll send one to Troutski and see if he can catch any Kokanees... You can get the pearls at very reasonable prices on Ebay.

I'll try to post some pictures for all of these that I mentioned this evening...

Last edited:
H
Hawk
FishSchooler said:
I mixed up some stuff just now. 1 fluid oz of anise extract, a little bit of vanilla extract, some salt, some granulated garlic, and some mike's crayfish scent to give some color and krillish scent, then some pellets of pink pb to give more of that krillish scent, and some flour to thicken it up. I reused my anise container, and it filled to the top, none left over... how does that work? Anyway, it smells bad. But it does smell like crayfish with garlic with anise on your dinner plate... I should tape on a NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION sign... :lol: Ill be testing it next time I go to hagg... which will be in early november or next year....:pray:

som folks will stay away from yer homestead if'n yuu spread bigfoot droppin's out whar itss visible............................................har.har.har.ho.....................................:lol::lol::lol::lol:........................................:cool::cool:

F
FishSchooler
meluvtrout said:
There's one that I read and somewhere and made at home. Seems to work for stocked trout, but if you want give it a try.
You need:
flour
water
garlic powder or garlic salt
food coloring

You mix the flour and garlic salt, slowly add water while kneading and make a big pile of dough out of it.
Add the food coloring and knead a little more to mix in the color (I used green food dye and also added some glitter bought from Michael's)
Make small round nuggets(like powerbait)
Boil them for about 30 minutes in a large pot.
Here is the tricky part. When you boil them they become all slimy so bake them in a conventional oven until they turn a little brown(I used broil option for about 15 minutes)
Until this point if you haven't added any glitter, you can eat them as well... If you did, just get a big jar and store them in your freezer. You can keep these forever in the freezer, they won't go bad. And everytime you open the jar, it'll smell super garlicy...

I also found a super easy way to make egg pattern hooks. Go to any of the Arts'n'Crafts stores like Michael's and ask for colored pompoms. A bag is usually around $1-$2 and has about 50 to 100 pompoms in it. Also get some super glue while you're there. Simply slide a pompom on the hook, put some superglue on the shaft and here you go. You've got yourself nice looking egg pattern hooks. Add some scent on about every 10 cast and you should be golden.

I also made some super sweet weddingrings from freshwater pearls. They are killer for trout and I'll send one to Troutski and see if he can catch any Kokanees... You can get the pearls at very reasonable prices on Ebay.

I'll try to post some pictures for all of these that I mentioned this evening...
Forgot, whats a pompom? :think:

F
fish_4_all
I made salmon egg jelly. Was really easy and works good for adding some scent to anything that can hold it.

I took 2 skeins of eggs that were starting to seperate. I boiled them for what seemed like forever to get them as stiff and solid as I could.
Next I did this:
1 quart water
1 cup borax
1 cup canning salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Siberian egg cure whatever color
The proportions are important, not amounts

I mixed it all together in hot water. Added the eggs and let them sit until the color was very bright. Then I smashed them all to a paste and it turned out super thick and smelly. Smells good actually, just like my cured roe.

Works well on cheaters, spawn sack, spinners, flies, corkies and yarn and pretty much anything else. The only thing it didn't seem to work on was jig and bobber fishing.

M
Mike123
I'll just give my secret ingrediant.. It's the fish feed you can buy for a
quarter at the fish hatcherys.

It's an excelent ingrediant. :D

F
FishSchooler
Mike123 said:
I'll just give my secret ingrediant.. It's the fish feed you can buy for a
quarter at the fish hatcherys.

It's an excelent ingrediant. :D

Ill get some next time I go to bonneville dam then. It's so fun throwing the food in the big trout pool

M
Mike123
FishSchooler said:
Ill get some next time I go to bonneville dam then. It's so fun throwing the food in the big trout pool

That stuff is what hatchery fish are raised on so you know they're gonna know
the scent of it! ;)
I mixed mine up with some anise scent and some also with just pure anise extract. All kinds of combos can be made.
I'd love to tie a fly that imitates that stuff! hahahaha

T
TTFishon
FishFinger said:

I was told the banana thing was for Chinooks. I caught my limit of coho after eating a banana a couple of years ago.