Howard Prairie water level

D
doublestrike
Yesterday I had to take my boat to H/P to help move some new docks from Plumb Landing to an organization camp. I have never seen the water level so low, and of course it was snowing but I don't think that the snow storm is going to help. Maybe that is why ODFW isn't going to plant fish till June. Another one of those things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmm".

C
Combat Chuck
That sucks, seems like they finally got some consistent water levels the past few years. I remember it being low a lot as a kid. Hope its still a decent opening morning.

T
Throbbit _Shane
My plans are to be at Hyatt for opening day. but im counting on other people to take me. so ill most likely be stuck in medford... lol

T
todd
is opening day better fishing then other weekends or is it just fun because its the first day

C
Combat Chuck
Its fun cause its the first day. Best trout fishing tends to be late May and early June... and that goes for most lakes, not just HP. I heard the lake was only 60% full, that hurts.

T
todd
alright thanks a lot chuck

D
doublestrike
Combat Chuck said:
Its fun cause its the first day. Best trout fishing tends to be late May and early June... and that goes for most lakes, not just HP. I heard the lake was only 60% full, that hurts.

So did you go this weekend?

T
Throbbit _Shane
I fished Hyatt saturday and got skunked. was nice out though, a little windy

C
Combat Chuck
No, but I think I will be there in 2 weeks. My family went and it sounds like it was a solid day with fish caught by everyone.

D
doublestrike
I am going up tomorrow to fish with my friend Ron. I'll post the results when I get home.

D
doublestrike
doublestrike said:
I am going up tomorrow to fish with my friend Ron. I'll post the results when I get home.

Just got home from Howard Prairie. We hit snow at m/m 8 and it was sticking on the road at m/m 11. This is at 0530. At the summit it was about 1 1/2 inches deep. As we descended the other side it turned to slush near the junction. We launched about 0615, and the parking lot at Klum Landing was a sheet of ice. The air temp was 28 and the water temp was 45.6. We tossed our stuff in right away as we trolled out from the dock. Ron's stuff got attacked first and he reeled in a nice little 12 incher. We trolled west in about 37 feet of water and as soon as it started to get shallower than that, we turned and headed towards the floating rest rooms. We were getting hit constantly but only about half of them hooked up. We had 4 in the box and were just rounding the restrooms and whamo Ron had a humongous take down and we knew it was a good one. he worked it a while and I reeled in his other pole to get it out of the way, and got the net. It turned out to be a real nice fat Rainbow 17 inches long, a quality Howard Prairie rainbow like they used to be. I on the other hand, could only manage the 12-14 inch stuff, but they were fun anyway. We made another loop around the restrooms and Ron did it again, with another almost twin to the first nice one. He was using a 1/2 brass1/2 nickel dodger and a triple teaser with a Gulp Maggot in natural color. I was using a Gold Plated Vance's dodger and a UV Sockeye Slammer with maggot too but just couldn't attract any of the big ones. We had 10 in the box by 10:00 and decided that we had had enough of the snowstorm. One good thing is that the wind wasn't blowing, but it snowed the whole time. The snow was turning to slush by 10:30 though and we ran out of it about m/m 11 on the way home. I am sure glad that Ron's heater in the boat was working good. It made it all worthwhile not being cold.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Good job guys!!! those trout got to be tasty :D

D
doublestrike
Steve and I went to Howard again on Sunday morning. We launched at 0745, and only one trailer in the lot at Klum Landing. It was overcast (Low clouds or high fog) hid the sun till about 0930, then the sun came out and it was very nice. There were a few little breezes and by 1030 there was a wind coming down the lake, so hiding behind Buck island was the place to be. by 1045 we had caught and released 7, 12 to 13 inch trout and I finally hooked into a very nice 17 inch fish and he went into the live well to make the trip to my frying pan. There were about 12 boats anchored in the "bay" at Buck Island when we left at 1130. Maybe they know something we don't???? There were quite a few bank fishermen between Klum Landing and the dam, and they were getting some fish too. Going to Lost Creek Lake next time.

K
kawasakii9
sunday 5-02

sunday 5-02

decided to finally check out howards prairie to see just how low the water is..... wow its low for this time of year. got to the lake late ... about 1030 parking lot was half full and we were 4 th in line to launch. 3 more boats showed up behind up. there was a lot of boats in the bay of the island and (10-15) another 10 trolling between plum landing and the island. water temp was 44-45. a lot of fish in the finder nothing biting in front so we trolled around the island, finally found some good biting fish along the side of the island, but we could not keep them on, we played a lot of fish somewhere over 50 and finally got our 10. it was a lot of fun. but the crowds on sunday kinda sucked and the sherriff boat kept flying by, and the wind was pretty bad. all in all it was a good day fishing...
has anyone been over to hyatt yet??

K
kfallscody
My dad is actually on Hyatt right now. He called me to make sure it had been stocked because he isn't seeing much on the finder and getting no action at all. Yeah it has been stocked and I came here to see if anybody has had any luck. After reading this, I told him maybe he should move to Howards prairie or go there next time. :).

I am curious about the half brass half nickel dodger, is that something that can be found around here?(here being Klamath Falls or Medford) I have been hunting for something like that for a while now with no luck.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Its been stocked this year and last october about a week before it closed to fishing. I went there on opening day and got skunked but i was fishing from the bank.

D
doublestrike
kfallscody said:
I am curious about the half brass half nickel dodger, is that something that can be found around here?(here being Klamath Falls or Medford) I have been hunting for something like that for a while now with no luck.

My friend Ron has had it a long time, not sure where he got it but I will ask.

C
Combat Chuck
K
kfallscody
Alright my dad called when he left Hyatt lake so I figured I would share the knowledge. :)

He did end up getting into some fish, he caught 6 and landed 4... seems they have VERY soft mouths. He was using a trolling rig with two larger blades and behind that a piece earthworm on one rod and a spinner like a panther martin on the other. He had no takes on the worm, the rest were all on the panther martin.. go figure. :)

K
kawasakii9
5-08-2010,
Well the g-friend and i drove up to hyatt saturday, we got there about 10:00... yea i know a little late! but i did start with "i took the g-friend"
we put in on the state park side and started trolling towards the resort. we had 2 in the boat and 5 fish on before the resort dock. wow great start! we trolled back and forth account 2 boats anchored by the damn, and 2 more anchored in the bay by the resort. anyway we soon (within an hour)
had 8 fish in the live well alll about 10-12 inches. then stupidity set in.... welll where else are they biting... i heard they were catching larger fish lets go find them we can always come back for the little ones i told her......Right!
well about 12:30 ( an hour later) my g-friend hooked into a 2 lb er. we hadnt had a bite for about an hour. but she was estatic! I played 2 more i know were close to 3 lbs we got them next to the boat, one broke my 4 lb test... i must have gotten to forceful and the other came off on the frantic... " oh my god thats the net thing" the fish like to do. and that was it. no more bites. next thing you know its about 4 oclock and we still need one more fish. we finally caught him in front of the damn. but a happy day fishing none the less
my advise go early plan to come home at 1:30 lure of choice in the morning... they hit everything we dropped in. no seriously they were not very picky. best success on a small rebel. "1 inch"
weather overcast, very lite breeze, no rain water temp 47-48 deg
Good luck all weather supposed to get better thursday maybe next weekend the bass will activate