How we killed off the giant salmon of the Pacific Northwest in 50 years

S
shiverfix
shiverfix said:
An interesting take on it. EDIT: You do have to get past the preachy beginning, but the information is interesting.

An interesting counter point to the Patagonia video.

Reactions: Grant22
Grant22
Grant22
shiverfix said:
An interesting take on it. EDIT: You do have to get past the preachy beginning, but the information is interesting.

Definitely a take on it unfortunately they really have an anti hatchery motive behind it. Check out Hathery wild coexist they are really doing some good work

Grant22
Grant22
Admin said:
Natural abundance has its limits, especially when you dam the path to the breeding grounds-- as was the case with the giant Chinook salmon of the Pacific northwest. Seeing their enormous silvery forms leaping upriver is a miraculous sight in some of this archival footage, but a fish can’t leap over a 100-foot dam. The fish known as “june hogs” are no more.

What do you say?
This video has a lot of really good information by northwest steel headers from a while back

Sam schall
Sam schall
pinstriper said:
It would be interesting to know the impact of marine mammal protection and population growth in all this.

Also, not to pick a fight, but what evidence is there that the tribes had any kind of approach other than "catch every fish you can, salt and smoke for storage" ? I mean, was there a quota ? A management plan ? Tags ? Bag limits ?

The thing that kept the tribes from doing what the white man did was a lack of technology and industrial base/development, near as I can tell.
I know they had some traditions that bordered management and spirituality like letting the first caught fish go “ to tell the other fish that these people are chill” and some other quota like cultural/spiritual standards. But in reality there wasn’t enough people to overfish so they probably didn’t have to worry about it. Wouldn’t that be nice right now