How to ruin a good day of fishing.......

L

lilsalmon

So, this is a good way to end the day. We tried taking it out cuz I wasn't done fishing but....yeah...no way....:( Best set hook I have ever had....A visit to the ER and $100 plus out of pocket and it was out....Good news is when the doc removed the hook, he didn't throw me back...:dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lilsalmon

its in a specimen bottle in my car.....forgot to give it to you....:D

O

OnTheFly

While at the Deschutes a strong gust of wind caught my line once during a back cast and all the line just came at me. I knew the fly was in there somewhere so I protected my face with my arm. Good thing I did that because the #4 green butt skunk fly buried itself into my forearm at about eye level. Luckily it came out realatively easy.

T

Troutier Bassier

Your lucky you went to the doctors, I had my dad push it out and cut the barb off.
Keep fishing with that.

H

halibuthitman

wow:shock: may I suggest tightening up your loops;) hope it heals well.. kind of gives ya some compassion for those fish..... for a second.

F

FishFinger

Oooh, yeah barbless has it benefits not only for the fish but for the fisherman too.

Can I "buy" the rights to use that picture as my avi... lol

M

Mike123

Cripes! That looks painful. Had that happen a couple times with big trebles, but I just popped it through and pinched down the barb and she came right out... alcohol was needed shortly after. :lol:

H

halibuthitman

Cripes! That looks painful. Had that happen a couple times with big trebles, but I just popped it through and pinched down the barb and she came right out... alcohol was needed shortly after. :lol:

and shortly before!!!;) a lot of alcohol!!!

T

Thuggin4Life

I got a Tomas lure in my cheek one time past the barb. Being drunk and not wanting to screw up a good lure we tried to get it out for a good 15 minutes but couldn't because of the barb. Ended up ripping it out. Next time I will just cut the hook.

L

lilsalmon

Oooh, yeah barbless has it benefits not only for the fish but for the fisherman too.

Can I "buy" the rights to use that picture as my avi... lol

I only need about $270,000 to buy my chunk of heaven on an awesome creek.....still interested? :lol::lol::lol:;)

L

lilsalmon

I really wanted to just cover it and keep fishin...bigsteel tried taking it out with hemostats....but it was too deep...I really feel for the fish....seriously thinking about barbless.....its all good now...

C

colbypearson

about a year ago i stepped on a rattle trap that really sucked got 2 of the trebles in my big toe and the other one snagged in the carpet --steped jumped caught carpet not fun:(:( ripped the hole bigger then had it removed to took forever it definitely sucks

my freind got snagged in a tree with a crankbait (rapala fat rap) yanked it out and it hit im in the chest with a THUD that big hollow bang sound he realyl yanked it and it snagged him through his waders then his shirt and got a bi g chunk of skin on his chest in the trebles :shock::shock::shock: makes me cringe everytime i think if it he spent a long time in the doc's for that

:confused::confused::(:(:confused::confused:

both werent very fun

L

lilsalmon

Actually, alcohol was mentioned....could have used a few shots and maybe could have saved some $$$$$....:D

B

BlackBass

I got this hook in my hand fishing a small coastal river. I was bobber fishing for Chinook, my bobber went down i reeled down and set the hook, 'WIFF' no fish bobber is flying back at me. I put my hand out to stop the bobber from hitting me. Thats when the 5 o/o owner hook impaled my skin , the bobber and lead kept going and broke my 30lb leader clean , i was left with just the hook and broken leader stuck in the palm of my hand. Brutal pain to say the least. 30 minutes of wonder how am i gonna get this thing out, it was to deep to push through and clip the barb, couple shots OFF the flask and my buddy ripped it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

fourgotten

Ouch.

Ouch.

That looks painful.

Looks like time for a refresher on hook removal techniques:lol:

Here's some good document on hook removal techniques... Fishhook Removal - June 1, 2001 - American Family Physician

The string yank method is a good one and can take out a hook in a trice.. the only down side is that it requires another person (unless you are JUST THAT DANGED talented).

L

lilsalmon

:lol:
I got this hook in my hand fishing a small coastal river. I was bobber fishing for Chinook, my bobber went down i reeled down and set the hook, 'WIFF' no fish bobber is flying back at me. I put my hand out to stop the bobber from hitting me. Thats when the 5 o/o owner hook impaled my skin , the bobber and lead kept going and broke my 30lb leader clean , i was left with just the hook and broken leader stuck in the palm of my hand. Brutal pain to say the least. 30 minutes of wonder how am i gonna get this thing out, it was to deep to push through and clip the barb, couple shots OFF the flask and my buddy ripped it out.

owwww....after looking at that and viewing the string technique I think I will go with the flask (although I have no intention of doing it again) and some Jack....

10 steps to removing a hook:
1. Take sip of Jack.
2. Study hook in said body part.
3. Take 2 sips of Jack.
4. Let someone else study hook.
5. Take 3 long swallows of Jack.
6. Study hook from every direction.
7. Another shot of Jack.
8. Try to remove....after 2 more good sized sips.
9. Let someone else try....
10. Finish the Jack and wait to be sober enough to drive to ER....:D