How to rig a pontoon

H
hookmiester
So I am at a loss. My new to me toon needs a couple of things. I have created a rear deck and put on a rod holder. Where I am at a loss is, how to store additional rods on the toon. Do you guys have any suggestions?

J
joesnuffy
I'd say mount a couple rod holder behind the seat out of the way of your casting.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum! Some use velcro strips to hold them to the frame close at hand...others mount sections of pvc pipe to hold spares...you can do amazing things with pvc pipe. I would think there must be some info on You tube.

Troutski
Troutski
Layout

Layout

hookmiester said:
So I am at a loss. My new to me toon needs a couple of things. I have created a rear deck and put on a rod holder. Where I am at a loss is, how to store additional rods on the toon. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I have walked your new path with my toon layout, one piece of advice; when laying out your design keep in mind vertical clearance. Don't ask how I know, I just do:rolleyes:. I carry three rods, one collapsible fly rod and two spinning set ups, the fly rod is stored behind the seat and the spinning rods are secured in rod holders attached to the frame. **CAUTION** try to keep your rod tips in side the foot print of the toon.
Toons are in my opinion the very best magic carpet on moving water, extremely maneuverable and stable; and with a floor. That being said...I am pretty much a control freak...a toon is a one person adventure....
Best of luck and tight lines...

Chuck

H
hookmiester
Good advice Chuck,

I have taken those situations into consideration, that is why I am at a loss. On your spinning set ups, do you store them assembeled or broke down?

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
This is how I store mine. As far as breaking them down it's your choice. When I'm on the water I usually don't but in transportation I do.

I just used zip ties, foam piping insulation and velcro ties for storing extension cords.

Troutski
Troutski
Velco

Velco

I have two Cabelas quick draw rod holders with mini bungee cords when the rod isn't being use. I take one Spinning rod loaded with a slip bobber set up, and the other a Spinning set up for lures, the Fly Rod is stored in a hard case; just two feet long with the reel attached. Like Zen demonstrated Velcro is great on a toon...I think of it as marine duct tape:) .

Chuck

O
Oregon Knights
I generally carry 3 rods with me. Sometimes more. I have 3 PVC rod holders I made that are permanently fastened to the back of the seat. I can place my fly rods in these holders, standing up fully rigged and ready to fish. This is great for drifting the rivers and landing at a site to wade and fish. In the lakes, it's a little harder, in that you need to be very aware of your fly casting to not hook your spare rods. If on a lake or a river, you also need to know your overhead clearance issues when landing around trees. I've used this setup for almost 10 years and have been very pleased.
I also have a PVC holder that lays along the pontoon and is strapped to the frame. It's about 5' long with closed ends. I cut it nearly in half to make a trough for the rods to lay in, then used the piece I cut out, as a lid using a piano hinge. This works great for a couple more rods, however they would need to be broken down. The advantage is, you don't have to worry too much about hooking one of they rods when casting. If you do hook them, consider a couple fly casting lessons at your local fly shop. :)