How to make yarn balls for steelhead

S
steelhead_stalkers
Daniel shows in this video a very simple way to tie up yarn balls using a straw technique that eliminates almost all waist and makes perfect round yarnies every time. Using our SS UV Yarn you can get around 25 yarn balls with just one package! Its very soft and easy to cut so with this methode it will fluff out and cover the shank of the hook. Try it out.

The way he ties up these yarn balls further back on the shank of the hook allows you to tie egg loop knots on them and run eggs if you choose. We hooked over a 100 steelhead last winter on these simple patterns and this summer they have continued to work equally well both under a float or drift fished. :dance:

Last edited by a moderator:
N
neverbackdown7
Can I buy these premade at a tackle shop locally? Only reason I ask is because I'm going fishing tomorrow.

B
bran_man
I'm pretty sure Oregon rod reel and tackle off coburg road (almost out by Armitage) usually has a little tub of yarn balls for sale up by their cash register... Not sure if its all the time though and also not sure if they are steelhead stalkers ones either?

Nice videos guys! That yarnie looked perfect! Going to have to tie some up tonight!

N
neverbackdown7
bran_man said:
I'm pretty sure Oregon rod reel and tackle off coburg road (almost out by Armitage) usually has a little tub of yarn balls for sale up by their cash register... Not sure if its all the time though and also not sure if they are steelhead stalkers ones either?

Nice videos guys! That yarnie looked perfect! Going to have to tie some up tonight!

ORRT is awesome I just bought my new rod and reel there and its perfect, but I didn't notice those there Ill have to look next time.

S
steelhead_stalkers
Tell Mike at ORRT that you want UV Yarn balls made up with Steelhead Stalkers Yarn and he will tie them up for you. He already has the straw, yarn and everything set up. They can also be purchase pre made on our website if you buy them in the future.

Last edited:
N
nativefish
any tips for tying them up without a vice. Im not to fond on the egg loop method....