How to make a rod holder

M
Moe
Can anyone tell me how to make a quick, cheap but good rodholder? Like step by step directions and materials needed. Thanks.

T
Troutier Bassier
I would also like to know.

B
beaverfan
I always just buy the cheap metal ones. Just a long piece of metal with a Y at the top. I bought some at Dick's recently they were like 4 bucks I think.

T
Thuggin4Life
If you are talking about for the bank than I have your solution. Get yourself about 1-2' of pvc pipe big enough for the rod but to fit in. Get yourself 2 hose clamps with a slightly bigger circumferance. Then find yourself a metal rod thats sturdy, either one with a sharp end or grind one on yourself. put the hose clamps on about 2-3" from each end and make the top of the pipe flush with the rod and then move the metal rod about a 1/2" up so you have something to pound on for harder ground. Tighten clamps. Now you are good to go. I have to that I use for winter steelhead plunking and they work great. Goodwill is a good place to look for things like roticery shafts that can be used for a good metal stake. Then find yourself a good lightwieght chair and get a cow bell and attach it to a closepin. Load your gear in a backpack and don't forget the beer. strap chair to bag. head out to your favorite hole and setup shop.

M
Moe
Thanks Thuggin, I did mean for the Bank, also, where can I get pvc pipe?

D
dude young
Where do you live? I am sure you have a Home Depot nearby. They sell PVC in short lengths. If you are on a wicked tight budget, drive around and look for a house being built. If you see someone working, ask them if they have some scraps, they'll usually let you have some if they do.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey no problem i need to make some myself. i have 2 that were given to me and only one of them i like the other is a spare/loaner. And they aren't quite the way I would make them. I would do it the way I described. My buddy made some with duct tape, pvc pipe, and tent poles. I'll take a pic of mine for you and post it later tonight.

G
GDBrown
Cheap Bank Rod holder....

Cheap Bank Rod holder....

Moe said:
Thanks Thuggin, I did mean for the Bank, also, where can I get pvc pipe?

Home Depot or Lowes if one is nearby. Hardware store otherwise, like ACE Hardware.
I make mine from PVC also but I just cut the lower end at an angle and take a rubber mallet to drive it into the dirt. If its rocky then I build a pile of rocks to hold it. They just don't work too well with a fly rod!:shock:

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah that will cut down on cost. i like the metal stake because its not always sandy. I forget to tell you to also cut a notch for the reel.

T
Troutier Bassier
A sharpend PVC pipe is the trick. Thats what I used Yesterday.

R
RLK
The one that I use is pretty close to that of Thuggin but I use a piece of angle steel with a bolt and wing nut so you can fold it up, easier for transport.

H
Hawk
At Home Depot or Diamond Home Improvement Center i'v gotten 2feet home framing construction spikes. Then use 2 stainless hose clamps to attach PVC pipe to spike.

We would fish at nite fer catfish,etc. Bungy cord the rod to holder & put a bell on the rodtip. Take a nap till ya hear the bell dingding...

hahaha

:lol::lol::lol:
:cool::cool:

R
RLK
Here is some pics of the one I use.
P.S. This is the first time I have ever uploaded hope it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
FishFinger
That's a great set up, well thought out! with the pvc out of the way it will be much easier to drive the angle iron into the bank be it sand or cobble. The carrage bolt can also act as a depth stop for the rod but. Once gain nicely designed unit, bravo!

BTW what size pipe did you use 1.5" or 2 " /sch 40

troutdude
troutdude
If you prefer to buy them already made--I have two that I bought at Bi-Mart, for only 3 or 4 bucks each.