How to fix store bought roe

S
SNDSLGR
I know, I know... quit throwing things at me, lol.

Some of us are not blessed with a freezer full of homeade roe and have to buy it. I read once if you must use store bought that you should cut it up into useable pieces the night before and put something on them that will help. Seems like it was something common like sugar but I can't remember... anyone know?

O
osmosis
cut them into chunks, and place them spaced out a little bit on paper towels.
Put some powdered borax onto them and let them sit for an hour or two on the paper towels until they are "tacky".
Sugar, salt, borax, gelatin. there are a lot of different things you could put on them but start with borax.

B
Big Moby
a little slamola can't hurt either.

K
Kodiak
try a little powdered sugar, helps the medicine go down!!

M
Mike123
I'd just buy Amermans eggs and fish them!
Maybe Slamola or Monster Bite too... if you like borax throw a little on.
I just plain wouldn't buy the other brands. May as well just use yarn balls with scent...

Troutski
Troutski
Baits...

Baits...

One should not scrimp on the bait, whether it be a lure,eggs,shrimp and so on. Think of yourself in a restaurant... if if looks like cr@& it probably is..fish are even more sensitive...
If you don't have access to fresh eggs, buy top dollar ones. Money very well spent..I may have been able to retire much earlier had I learned this when I was young.;)

Chuck

S
SNDSLGR
Fine and I even agree, but where do you find these top dollar eggs?

O
osmosis
google amerman eggs I guess.. dont buy theri eggs from joes, they will have been sitting on the shelves for a loong time.
dont waste money on "guides choice" eggs. D&G are no good either.

If I were out of eggs, I'd run prawns or shrimp until I got a hen to cure up them myself.

F
FishSchooler
I agree. That guides choice brand is just a bucket of egg smelling red goo. Osmo-have you ever heard of ray's bait works or something? I have eggs from that brand...

O
osmosis
I get cases of herring, sand shrimp, raw prawns, and raw coon shrimp from rays. Their herring is great. They are pretty expensive but it's one of those "you get what you pay for" deals.
If its anything like the rest of their bait it should be decent. I havent tried their eggs as I have a good 100 pounds of my own cured up eggs.

F
FishSchooler
100 pounds... thats about 200 times my amount of eggs...

B
bir48die
I bought some quarts from Nate's. Local in Milwaukie. If you need a number, let me know.

K
klamathsteel
Mike123 said:
May as well just use yarn balls with scent...

BINGO :D Many times yarn balls will out fish eggs for winters on the Middle Rogue.
I did'nt say always, i said many times. We're using them more every winter. ;)

B
BobberDown
well i fished amermans one springer season and i did nothing and hooked over 200 spingers and i dont know how many summer steelhead on them they where grate a little spendy at 22 dollers a jar but money well spent springers dont have good eggs or at least not during the time of year i am fishing for them and the ones that do i wont keep but there is a company called sunrise baits that sells uncured eggs i have never bought any eggs from them but i have hurd they are good when i lived down in cresnt city we use to buy the eggs from the native americans on the klamith you may beable to find some eggs that way i would go here is the number to sunrise bait 503-359-5204or 503 320 9895 and i do know that they have them at a tackle shop in yreka CA witch i am sure you know thats about an hour and a half for granstpass but i dont know if you want to drive that far for your eggs but sunrise gives alist of there dealers pluse they do ship them to well i hope this helps good luck Dan

Last edited:
B
BobberDown
ya it was in 2005 befor I had my little girl i use to fish every day and that was a good year on the clackamas river i was avraging 7 to 10 fish a day after work that old saying put in your time and you will cauch more fish its true i also won the springer durby that year with a 39 pound fin clipped fish that was a year to remeber i have not had a year like that sence i hav not had that much time to fish eather . but the rouge has some grate fishing i grow up on the smith and chetco down there my dad was a guide for about 30 years down there never did get to fish the rouge much thogh i wis i would have how are the salmon runs there now??????? but if ineeded eggst I would order some amermans i know they work very well they are about the size of coho eggs with are my favrite eggs that is where i get all my eggs are from the sandy river coho i love eggs that are about the size of an 1/8 oz jigs head coho eggs are perfact i think . but i dow love fall chinook eggs to good luck Dan

M
Mike123
Man Bobberdown... Have you ever heard of periods? Talk about a long, run-on sentence! haha Good info though! :)