How to catch spawning carp

I
igquick
So first time I accidentally snagged a gigantic 18 lber, casting all the way to the other side... I've also heard there are tons of carp on the other side

Second day, I walk all the way to the other side where there's a huge hill, and see no fish

third day, I go there again and the weather is a lot warmer, and I see hundreds of them, but none of them will eat bread

fourth day, I try a bait that has caught me lots of carp at this place, corn....but it still doesn't work...so now I'm angry and try snagging them, and caught huge scales, and dropped my keys in which I had to search for them for an HOUR

fifth day, my mind is set on snagging, and I made a rig specifically for it. By the way I can't tell you how many times I fell down this damn hill and being seen by other people that are fishing, but I really didn't care because they didn't catch anything anyways. I ended up catching 6 in an hour, and probably fell down the hill 6 times that day but it was worth it. The absolute best part of it was, I have NEVER seen carp jump so high while being hooked. They were easily jumping 3 feet off the surface and trying to shake the hook off their tale, it was an amazing sight to see. Not only that, but the fish would never give up unlike being hooked in the mouth. It was like I was hooking steelhead on crack. Too bad I couldn't get the jumping on film...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TTFishon
J
john montana
Not even sure what to say to this. Would you snag spawning brown trout? Spawning bass? Spawning suckers? Salmon? Steelhead? This isn't fishing, and certainly isn't sportsmanlike. I hope at least you kept those injured fish for food or something and weren't just releasing them.

Sorry man...I just don't get this. Ugh.

T
Troutier Bassier
john montana said:
Not even sure what to say to this. Would you snag spawning brown trout? Spawning bass? Spawning suckers? Salmon? Steelhead? This isn't fishing, and certainly isn't sportsmanlike. I hope at least you kept those injured fish for food or something and weren't just releasing them.

Sorry man...I just don't get this. Ugh.

didn't you just post a video of your daughter netting a spawning carp?

M
MikePierce170
Troutier Bassier,

I think the point John is trying to make is that if you're going to catch and release... try not to harm/injure the fish in the process. Personally I don't care haha. It's a damn carp (my opinion). I know that may differ with some on this board.

J
john montana
Yep. And she wasn't fishing either. Never claimed she was. But it was released without a big hole in its belly or fin, totally unharmed. I am all for having fun on the water, but I am not for snagging. I have no problem with fishing for spawning carp...they are broadcast spawners and it won't bother them at all...but snagging isn't fishing. Just randomly poking holes in fish and sending them off to die later.

Obviously I am going to be in the minority here, and that's fine. Might have just run my course on this site...it happens. I can't stand the disrespect though. Snagging fish...can't handle that. This from a guy who has no problem with someone harvesting carp (or any other fish...but I still say shooting them with a bow is hunting, not fishing.). I have a problem with willfully snagging fish and letting them go to likely die.

J
john montana
MikePierce170 said:
Troutier Bassier,

I think the point John is trying to make is that if you're going to catch and release... try not to harm/injure the fish in the process.

This. Kill it and harvest it, or release it unharmed. I get that not all fish released are going to live, but I believe as fisherman we should do what we can to make sure as many fish as possible that are released live.

And obviously I don't subscribe to the "it is just a carp" philosophy. Moving on there though...not having that discussion again.

M
MikePierce170
Oh John...

Bowfishing is still fishing, with a hunting aspect. Just like flyfishing we have to stalk our prey. Or another similar method, spearfishing. Skills are required for all of these wonderful methods of catching fish :)

J
john montana
I get the skills (I am a former rifle and bow hunter...elk and deer back in mt mainly) but I think it is straight up hunting. Fishing is the act of fooling a fish into willfully ingesting a hook.

You ain't fooling em with an arrow! Nothing wrong with that (as long as you use the kill as we have talked about...I don't really agree with wanton killing for fun) I just don't see it as fishing. I know it takes a ton of skill though...which is why you miss so often!

M
MikePierce170
john montana said:
I get the skills (I am a former rifle and bow hunter...elk and deer back in mt mainly) but I think it is straight up hunting. Fishing is the act of fooling a fish into willfully ingesting a hook.

You ain't fooling em with an arrow! Nothing wrong with that (as long as you use the kill as we have talked about...I don't really agree with wanton killing for fun) I just don't see it as fishing. I know it takes a ton of skill though...which is why you miss so often!

Merriam-Webster says the following...

fish·ing noun \ˈfi-shiŋ\

1 : the sport or business of catching fish

After watching a few episodes of River Monsters with the best fly fisherman alive, Jeremy Wade... you'll see there are MANY ways to catch fish. Fooling a fish into willfully ingesting a hook is only one "modern" way. I've seen people corral fish, net fish, spear them (like with a stick), use spider web as a line to snag fish, etc. People are very inventive and use what they can to be as effective as possible. Hook and line is only one of many ways my friend.

Btw, it only took me one shot old man :lol:

J
john montana
You and Jeremy wade...hah...

P
plumb2fish
Try a piece of hard dog food in your bait loop on a fairly short leader....12-16"....snagging is not fishing, it is hunting with a fishing rod. Don't do it if you aren't gonna use what you kill....

Reactions: john montana
I
igquick
If it makes you guys feel better, I was using a tiny treble hook and got most of thek on the tail fin, and Im willing to bet all my money they all lived...I got them on the fin of the tail because I felt bad about that big scale I took out from one, so I aimed for the tail fin...and I didn't have to revive any of them, they had more of a chance in surviving than any of my carp I hooked in the mouth

But in my defense, its not easy at all, I dare somebody to try it at this location; there is only one person that I know that can snag good at this place, balancing on a 70 foot steep hill with tall grass and possibly falling into the water wasn't easy...not to mention if you didn't get a fish, you are going to indefinitely snag deep into grass, and the water visibility was horrible, I could only see them halfway up the hill, any closer and they would spook

Im sure a half inch puncture from a hook on 5 to 6 lb carp's tail isn't going to kill it, but what do I know, I was the only one there

I
Ifishforfood
I was there!! your good iggy, dont listen to this bull. if it makes anyone feel better, this guy can give the snagged fish to MUA, and i will EAT THEM!! what now ..... pansys.

F
FishNinja
Ifishforfood said:
I was there!! your good iggy, dont listen to this bull. if it makes anyone feel better, this guy can give the snagged fish to MUA, and i will EAT THEM!! what now ..... pansys.

Pansies huh? Well at least I can spell! Lol Quite being a prick! Snagging is B.S. Even where legal and even with carp!

I
igquick
All the negativity but I really don't care, for one, I fish for myself to have a blast, second, its fishing for godsake, why so serious? Third, I will give anybody 5 bucks per carp snagged at chinook landing because its harder than it looks

M
MikePierce170
I just want to see Ifishforfood eat a carp :lol:

I
igquick
Hahaha he asked you about eating them too?!

I can't wait til he eats one