How protective are you over your steelhead spots or streams?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Lewis and Clark were commissioned to deliver a report.

If a guy needs to sit in the dark for two hours to hold a spot then it's not a secret. I wouldn't care if the guy I took there booked his next class reunion in a hole like that.

However, if you think secrets spots are a fairy tale you need to explore more. Most of my spots are within a half mile of where I park my car but i never would have found them if I had sat at the same hole with everyone else every Saturday morning.

S
steelhead_stalkers
This is awesome! Now I have some new spots to fish. Thanks guys. :lol:

Irishrover
Irishrover
OK but Lewis never did finish the report. Seems he was either murdered or blew his brains out near Hohenwald, Tennessee. You can always substitute another path finder like Jedidiah Smith or Joe Walker. Just don't follow Stephen Meek! ;)

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
:popcorn:

jamisonace
jamisonace
Or George Donner! Although, if they were smart they would have unpacked their fly rods and hit the Truckee before resorting to cannibalism.

The Lewis and Clark party weren't my kind of explorers. They traded for dogs with the natives on the Columbia so they could eat red meat instead of Salmon.

Irishrover said:
OK but Lewis never did finish the report. Seems he was either murdered or blew his brains out near Hohenwald, Tennessee. You can always substitute another path finder like Jedidiah Smith or Joe Walker. Just don't follow Stephen Meek! ;)

jamisonace
jamisonace
troutmasta said:

I remember swearing you to secrecy on a particular technique! I found a plug the other day that was set up exactly like the plugs we used to catch those North Coast hogs.....secrets out I guess:(

To each their own but I've had one mentor that has taught me almost everything I know and I'm not going to disrespect him by showing every person I meet on the internet the techniques that he has developed or the productive holes he's found from 25 years of guiding. It took me at least 6 years to earn his trust, that he would start showing me some of his secrets....and I still don't know even a small fraction on them.

Off Topic:

Jeff, my daughter just jumped on my lap and saw your avatar and said, "You should have that on your boat." Which gives me an idea......send me the file and I'm going to make a sticker out of it and I'll send you one. You can put it on your van down by the river. If you want....

T
troutmasta
Done...

And yes you may have found a plug like that but we fish different rivers and I'm sure Im not the only one in Oregon that knows that trick (in fact the 'tricky part' was the application of magic not the wrap).

As far as not telling a soul though...well nobody's perfect

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Didn't we have this same discussion last year, and the year before, and...Seems like it's raised every year about this time. :popcorn:

Irishrover
Irishrover
It's a standard thread, but this time I think some of us are having a bit of fun with it. Ultimately it's a personal decision and either way is OK by me. Just got to thinking about why they called it the Donner PARTY! Jamisonace I think you have a point. :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
My "top secret, nobody knows but me and the person that taught me" technique was featured in STS after the editors friend picked up a plug that my friend had just lost. It's no real secret anymore but I still don't tell anyone if they don't know. The plug I found was about 250 miles from your rivers. I'm guessing it wasn't yours.

troutmasta said:
Done...

And yes you may have found a plug like that but we fish different rivers and I'm sure Im not the only one in Oregon that knows that trick (in fact the 'tricky part' was the application of magic not the wrap).

As far as not telling a soul though...well nobody's perfect

jamisonace
jamisonace
I hope you didn't interpret the thread above different than I intended. The first and second paragraphs were supposed to be completely unrelated but I just reread it and it reads like I'm giving you crap. My bad.

troutmasta said:
Done...

As far as not telling a soul though...well nobody's perfect [emoji12]

C_Run
C_Run
How many secrets are there, really? Yes, I have learned, especially from this forum, not to name specific places or even show pictures of obscure locations. Yet, a lot of these places are written about regularly on the ODFW website, small town papers' fishing reports accessed online, the regulations, and the whiteboard as you enter Wholesale Sports. Sometimes I think I am in my secret spot and there are already footprints and cigarette butts or people there when I arrive. I can see value in not posting reports, though. Why make things worse? I suppose that's why a lot of people never write reports that used to here a few years ago.

fppRLHr.jpg

Merry Christmas fishing friends.

Last edited:
jamisonace
jamisonace
Chris, come with me in August. I'll show you a secret. Bring your hiking boots.

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
I hope you didn't interpret the thread above different than I intended. The first and second paragraphs were supposed to be completely unrelated but I just reread it and it reads like I'm giving you crap. My bad.

No worries, I figured that- It is a great trick though-

250 miles, word spreads quick...

H
halibuthitman
this subject begins with fishing but departs it just as quickly and enters the realm of a mans word... regardless of the real level of secrecy, if the trip starts with this statement " this is a secret spot.. please don't bring anyone here" and then you go, you are bound by the rules of a mans word. Period. So, the character of the friendship was compromised by the act of breaking your word. But since we are all grown ups here, Im sure a six pack of beer and a im sorry would help right the wrong.

C_Run
C_Run
jamisonace said:
Chris, come with me in August. I'll show you a secret. Bring your hiking boots.

I like secrets. Have boots.