How not to finish your fishing day

M
madoc
Went out today to the Gilbert Boat launch to try for a keeper. I went yesterday, pulled in a couple shakers and watched a guy land a 46" keeper. Today was going to be my day.

Well, not so much. 4th cast - I think my right hand was just passing my ear when I heard a very close "POP!" and suddenly my rod goes light, I'm ducking and the top 2/3rds of my rod goes sailing out into the water.:( A couple of choice words on my part, but hey, it was kind of funny.

RIP Lamiglas Surf King. You were less than a month old. Rod snapped just forward of the rod seat - right where I normally grip with my thumb and index finger on a cast. Going to go up to Lamiglas Tuesday to see if they will replace it.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Oh,snap!

Oh,snap!

Oh my. :confused: Sorry to hear about your rod. Hope you had a spare and continued to fish. :) Is Lamiglass the "easy return" they say it is? Someone should talk Costco into selling more fishing gear. Never have problems with their returns. Good luck.
Be safe.
Barb

M
metalmania
That's to bad man, hopefully they'll get ya a new one:D.

J
joemomma
Oh MY! Well glad ya didn't take about 8 oz of lead in the back of the head!:shock: They should replace with no problem!

M
madoc
joemomma said:
Oh MY! Well glad ya didn't take about 8 oz of lead in the back of the head!:shock: They should replace with no problem!

Yeah, that was the instantaneous duck response - lead and a 4/0 hook coming in at high speed is a good reason to flinch.

Y
youngbuck307
O man yea a very good reason got only a 3oz in the sholder one day really glad it wasn't in the head!! still hurt like hell and glad the hook didn't find me!!

F
FishKiller23
joemomma said:

Thats what you should hope. I belive The Nothing had a problem with his rod. I think some thin simliar happened and they made him pay some to get it fixed.

T
The Nothing
Good memory

Yep, my Surf King broke when it was less than a month old too. I've never seen one break at the reel seat like that! IME they'll tell you what happened before asking you, decide on their own if it is considered a warranty repair, and replace it. If they decide it broke by your own doing (as happened in my case) they'll charge you $35 for a new butt half.

J
joemomma
Not to change the subject, but something to think about! I broke two rods from bi-mart over the years, one was a lami, the other some cheap kokanee jigging rod, returned with no questions asked at all!

F
FishFinger
Yes Bi mart has been great at replacing 3 of my lama-snaps as well.

M
madoc
Drove up to Woodland today, was given a replacement part, so rod is fixed:dance:. While I was up there, I picked up a factory second 8'6" baitcasting rod (gotta learn how to use a levelwind reel) and a second, beefier Surf King (rated up to 8 ounces).

J
joemomma
Sweet, the most important part of a baitcaster, is when you backlash it, find a loop and pull on it, find another and pull it out, then your ready to backlash it again "this I know"