How much is this gun worth?

T
Thuggin4Life
So I had a guy wanting to trade a rifle for my motor didn't think it was worth it so I never called back. He called again wanting to know how low I would go so I told him 450 at the lowest but i do need to get a rifle for hunting because I am going to hunt this year. So I told him i was interested in the gun and maybe some cash to make up the difference. He didn't have the model number on hand but is going to think about it and call me back and give me the model number so maybe we can wotk something out. Anyways the gun I am asking about is a Remington 30-06 semiauto with a scope and wood stock in good condition. not sure the year and if he wants to do it and I think he does i will have a model number. So my question is this: If the gun is just one of the mass produced more generic models(which I bet it is) the gun sold for maybe 250-450 at the most i would imagine but not sure so giving the bit of info I have what would a good guess be for value be? And are semiautos any good? I would prefere a bolt I think but will take anything to be able to hunt this year. Any info is appreciated Also I heard semiautos are the best for hunting and can be less acurate how true is this?

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
7400?

7400?

well if its a 7400 its one of the most inacurate semi autos ever produced. Its a lite work carbine for shots under 200 yards and prone to jamming becouse of its inability to chamber differnt brands of ammo well. Unless you are a well diciplined shooter a semi auto anything is a poor hunting firearm. Bolt and lever guns are safer as well. A used 7400 is worth in the ballpark of $275-$400 bucks any scope on it is unlikely to add any value. But I would do the trade becouse the guns gonna age and sell a lot better than an outboard. You should run the serial on the firearm before you purchase any gun in a trade. The 7400 also shoulders clumsy, hits your cheekbone in an akward location, feels short, and has a very unrefined recoil and report and is too loud, the pump version is slightly better. Semi autos are great guns and shoot well but require much more talent to shoot well. If you want a semi buy a browning BAR

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Thanks for the input. I haven't shot a lot of bigger guns. Mostly just 17 and 22 all the time and 12 and 20 gauges along with random pistols but have shot a few rounds out of random huting rifles but not many. I like to think of myself as a fairly accurate shooter. lets hope its not the 7400.

H
halibuthitman
a lot of guys love the remington 7400's But a lot of guys love el caminos, fat chicks, and those shipoopy little heelbiter dogs.... just my opinion, if its an older gun in exellent shape it could fetch $500-$600 but those are gun shop prices. The second you pick up a semi auto firearm your accuracy has dropped simply by the false confidence it will give you.. if you learn to slow down and treat every shot as if it were your last, then they are awsome firearms.

Last edited by a moderator:
N
nimzrock
T4L , If you are "really" serious about the rifle I would suggest that you ask the owner to meet you at a gun shop. That way you can have the gunsmith check it over for you and give you a ballpark on its value.

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey now thats an idea. when I know more about the gun like model number I will do some research on the gun. before I make a descion. hopefully the guy wants to work something out.

K
Kodiak
My personal problem with semi's in rifles is most of them jam, and your round will never chamber the same way twice in a row reducing your over all preformance. A bolt action will actually "seat" your round ith a 1/4 turn when you close the bolt. This is also why I don't like pump rifles or lever actions when I need to shoot anykind of distance. Semis will be heavier, requiring you to have a much higher endurance level, to arrive with the condition to make a good shot at the moment of truth. If you are in a short range (under 100 yrds) short hunt, heavy brush situation for bigger animals it might be a good deal.

G
Growbug
a nice way to pick up a 'new to you' hunting rifle is to scout the local pawn shops until you find an old Savage model 110 or 10 (110 long action, 10 short)
Most fun way is to get on old 'mil surp' and learn to shoot the hard way with iron sights. Most fun i have ever had was hunting hogs in CA with a Winnie '76 lever action in 44-40. Wouldnt hit anything over 100 yards away with great accuracy, but anything it hit under 100 yards never even twitched.

Anyhow.. i digress.

BE VERY CAREFUL with gun trades.. Ask yourself one simple question - "why is he willing to trade a rifle??" ... is there something wrong with it that you wont see?
Dont get tempted by ANYTHING anyone who is selling you a rifle says, again (or trying to trade) , if they brought up the idea, they are wanting to get rid of it for some reason. Getting landed with a BAD rifle is not what you want.
A mistake in a firearm trade can cost you your life if you arent very careful.

Lastly, if you are looking at getting your first 'big game' rifle, a semi auto is a bad choice (in my opinion).
Go for a bolt action. 6.5mm is a nice starting point (.257")

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Hey thanks guys. He wanted to trade just the rifle and i never called him back. he called a week later wanting to know how low i would go. told him some cacsh to conter the low value of the gun and he said he would think and call me back with the model number. he hasn't called so i think even though the gun was in good shape it wasn't a good one and not worth much and doesn't want to spend any cash. think he was trying to get lucky getting rid of a gun he doesn't want. Probably gonna look at pawn shops when I can afford one befroe the season starts. thanks for the info and i will deffinantly be going with a bolt.

H
halibuthitman
well, you get what you pay for........so be careful!!

T
Thuggin4Life
Woh thats not very pretty. Take it a handgun exploded.

H
halibuthitman
nope.... a guy got a real sweet deal on a rifle.

H
halibuthitman
and as far as ANY savage firearm, I had a model 110-E absolutely disappear into scrap metal in my hands, giving me 22 stitches in my face and ruining most of the high pitch hearing in my right ear, a concussion, and a sincere fear of any used firearm for the rest of my life. Repeat after me... winchester mod 70 30/06 4 power scope, rinse and repeat..

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
winchester mod 64 30/06 4 power scope, rinse and repeat my buddy was just over checking his email and showed me some pics of a guys arm after he must have got a sweat deal. I think i will just go new so I can scratch the first kill in the butt.

F
frodog
If it was a remington 740 woodsmaster it is not worth it I bought one a few years ago not knowing what i had. It was produced from 1956 til 1959 and dno replacement parts are available mine has a terminal problem with the oppararing rods andd this is very common. I will say for a semi it was very accurite however sub moa groups at 100 yards. Steer clear of these guns.

T
Thuggin4Life
Guy never callrd back must of not eanted to part with any cash after I told him I had to do some research on the gun. He just wanted to pawn off junk and get himself a good deal on an outboard. thanks for the info everyone. had i not asked if he had some cash i may have traded. getting a new bolt this season hopefully. I'll ask for opinions then.

N
natro
Wow. Halibuthitman, that is one of the nastiest hand injuries I have ever seen.

C
capblack
If your going to hunt this fall and havent had much experience with rifles, I would recommend getting a decent one as soon as possible, or wait until next year. Its best to get comfortable with it so your confident. good luck, Brian
Thuggin4Life said:
Hey thanks guys. He wanted to trade just the rifle and i never called him back. he called a week later wanting to know how low i would go. told him some cacsh to conter the low value of the gun and he said he would think and call me back with the model number. he hasn't called so i think even though the gun was in good shape it wasn't a good one and not worth much and doesn't want to spend any cash. think he was trying to get lucky getting rid of a gun he doesn't want. Probably gonna look at pawn shops when I can afford one befroe the season starts. thanks for the info and i will deffinantly be going with a bolt.

T
Thuggin4Life
I feal confident enough that if I borrowed a rifle to hunt this year I could hit something. but i do understand what you are saying thanks.

S
SNDSLGR
IDK about the pawn shop thing...me, I wouldnt. You have even less true feel for the original owner etc... If you want used a gun show will offer you hundreds of choices from KNOWN dealers to shop from.

With the remington model 700 being available for around 300 new when on sale at bi mart or fishermans, why even buy used. Least until you have more personal knowledge of big bore firearms. The Rem 700 is a solid/proven bolt action that when paired with a decent scope shoots great.