How many hooks?

P
psguardian
I have seen single & double fly setups & from my prior fishing experiences with crapie rigs I know you are allowed two hooks on your line. I have just seen a video however that shows a three fly set up; floater (tied to be an indicator/fly), heavy sinker (for quick depth), normal wet. So how many hooks are we allowed on one leader?

~psguardian

Gunga
Gunga
i believe i read in the regs for 2010 that could have up to 2 hooks. but i dont know id they changed it for 2011. i doubt it though. hope this helps.

P
psguardian
I was thinking the same thing, not sure what state the video was shot in but it seems that three hooks is allowed some place lol.

~psguardian

E
everett464
From pages 10 and 11 of the 2011 Regs.

Hook and Weight Regulations:
1. No more than two hooks may be used while angling for Pacific halibut and no more than three hooks may be used while angling for
other species except herring jigs may be used for marine food fish species (defined on page 11) other than Pacific halibut. A double
or treble point hook is classified as one hook. When angling with two rods (where allowed and with a current Two-Rod Angling
Validation), the general hook rule applies to each rod.
2. Measure hook gap from point to shank (see sketches at right).
3. When angling for sturgeon, anglers are restricted to one single-point barbless hook in all Oregon waters.
4. When angling for salmon or steelhead, (except in the ocean or as listed under Special Regulations for specific bodies of water) the
following regulations apply:
• Single-point hooks larger than 1-inch and multiple-point hooks larger than 9/16-inch gap are prohibited.
• All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks. When using single-point hooks larger than 5/8-inch
gap or multiple-point hooks, the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook.
5. When angling for salmon or steelhead in the ocean, anglers must refer to Marine Zone Regulations for Salmon and Steelhead,
page 103, and the Northwest Zone Special Regulations for Tillamook Bay, page 32.
6. Barbless hooks are advised for fisheries where the release of fish is anticipated, unless specifically required

Y
youngbuck307
There u have it! And I have used 3 for plunking

B
bigdog
youngbuck307 said:
There u have it! And I have used 3 for plunking

Not only that (You know I have to start this one :lol:) the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook.... Now I want to think back to so many people that would get mad and talk crap about others using longer leader and how they are breaking the law, and then making claim to themselfs using 12-15" of leader hhhhmmmm.

Tom I'm not reffering to you on this just quoting you to extend on your comment :lol:

Last edited:
Gunga
Gunga
wow even i learned something from this i didn't know about the weight having to be 18 inches above the hook.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
youngfishtyler said:
wow even i learned something from this i didn't know about the weight having to be 18 inches above the hook.

Only when fishing for salmon or steelhead... for your trout/bass/panfish/carp/catfishing - it can be snug up to the hook eye if you so chose.

Gunga
Gunga
oh thank you. uncle mark

G
GDBrown
Adding weight leagally?

Adding weight leagally?

youngfishtyler said:

"4. When angling for salmon or steelhead, (except in the ocean or as listed under Special Regulations for specific bodies of water) the
following regulations apply: .........All weight, if not part of a conventional lure, must be attached above the hooks. When using single-point hooks larger than 5/8‑inch gap or multiple-point hooks, the attachment of the weight must be 18 inches or more above uppermost hook."

The key here is the size of the hook or the use of multiple hooks when fishing for Salmon or Stealhead.