How many have you caught?

S
sidehillwinder
There are at least 27 species of fresh-water game fish in Oregon, including any marine species that come into fresh water to spawn. I'm including Alpine lakes which hold golden trout and lahoutain cutthroat. At least I think that is how you spell lahoutain.
So, has anyone ever caught every species? That's a goal to strive for. Think I'll make it my life's goal. Then focus on marine species. What a journey!:)

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
13 is all i got some more fishing todo

J
JAFO
"At least I think that is how you spell lahoutain."
Did you mean Lohanton? Used to catch them in Pyramid lake in NV. Fun Fish!

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
I googled this and came up with a poster of 35...at least 16 are non-native invasive species, 2 are the same fish....so of the 18, the only two I have yet to catch are lake trout and lahontan cutthroat...

Last edited:
S
sidehillwinder
plumb2fish said:
I googled this and came up with a poster of 35....most of which are non-native invasive species....

Could you post that link? Please?

S
sidehillwinder
JAFO said:
"At least I think that is how you spell lahoutain."
Did you mean Lohanton? Used to catch them in Pyramid lake in NV. Fun Fish!

Pyramid is the source. Mann Lake in Oregon, numerous streams which dry up going into the Alvord Desert and a small lake in the John Day drainage have Lahanton Cutthroat in them, in Oregon. Caught mine in Lenore Lake in E. Washington State.

P
plumb2fish
sidehillwinder said:
Could you post that link? Please?
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/docs/Fish_ID_Poster.pdf

of the 35 listed, spawning and kokanee are the same fish. Migratory "bull trout" (dolly varden) is extinct in oregon waters. walleye, atlantic salmon, shad, channel cat, brook trout, brown trout, black bullhead, striped bass, l. m. bass, s.m. bass hybrid bass, w. crappie, b. crappie, perch, bluegill, warmouth, sun fish, punkinseed are all non-native...

Last edited:
S
sidehillwinder
Plumb2fish, if we strike Northern Pikeminnow, the squawfish, as a non-game fish, then 34. But does ODFW consider pike minnow game fish? They ARE on the plate.

F
Fish-N-Chips
What about the pea mouth(another trash fish sort of like a cross between a sucker fish and a pikeminnow). Then there is the white fish(high mountain and lower) and the sculpin which I guess is a marine species,but makes it up high on the coastal tribs. Not fish you really want to catch, but fresh water just the same:think:

P
plumb2fish
The species were determined by ODFW, not me.....so apparently they consider pike minnows a game fish because they pay people to kill them.....I am not sure why whitefish are not on the list, some people do target and eat em.....

N
nwkiller
ive caught 33 Oregon species including 5 salt water species

M
Mad dog
I didn't see Sacremento perch on that list....I've caught a ton of those in the Klamath basin!

S
sidehillwinder
Mad dog said:
I didn't see Sacremento perch on that list....I've caught a ton of those in the Klamath basin!

Alright. Do we include sub-species or not? The list could really grow.:think::D;)

A
alseaalumaweld
o the sculpin. how could i forget it

S
sidehillwinder
nwkiller said:
ive caught 33 Oregon species including 5 salt water species

:lol:Outstanding! So close. What haven't you caught? That will not take too long to answer.:lol:

S
sidehillwinder
alseaalumaweld said:
o the sculpin. how could i forget it

Not a game fish!! Shame!:naughty:

A
alseaalumaweld
but they should be!

S
sidehillwinder
sidehillwinder said:
There are at least 27 species of fresh-water game fish in Oregon, including any marine species that come into fresh water to spawn. I'm including Alpine lakes which hold golden trout and lahoutain cutthroat. At least I think that is how you spell lahoutain.
So, has anyone ever caught every species? That's a goal to strive for. Think I'll make it my life's goal. Then focus on marine species. What a journey!:)

Just a friendly reminder we are talking GAME fish, fresh-water types.

Last edited: