How long...

R
ryandanielson
do you guys stay at a particular hole. I can never decide if I should keep fishing the current hole or move on and find new water. Just wondering how much time you spend at each hole

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
ryandanielson said:
do you guys stay at a particular hole. I can never decide if I should keep fishing the current hole or move on and find new water. Just wondering how much time you spend at each hole
Too many variables there to give a specific answer . If I have all day , and I am at a section of the river where there is other close access , I move after an hour or so . If I dont have all day , I fish one section pretty hard . If I have all day , some times I stay at one section till it produces , if I have a good feeling about the slot . Sometimes I really wish I would have moved . Just personal preference . You will figure out what you are comfortable with .

B
BlackBass
When fishing for steelhead no more then a half hour . i might hit the same spot 3 times in one day but will more then likely not fish it for an hour and a half at one time. Steelhead will generaly hit your offering within the first few times they see it. That is not always the case and sometimes you might not get bit after repeated casts, about the time you think there isn't any fish around bam you hook up. 30-40 minutes tops

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah if there's a fish in the hole it's gonna take your offering pretty soon. If you're fishing in a combat zone, sometimes you're limited to moving, in which case, then i'll stake out my claim and fish the same hole for a lengthy time and hope that some fish move in. Otherwise, it's all about covering as much water as possible and hitting every little fishy lookin' spot.

T
Troutier Bassier
atleast 20 casts in a hole.

J
justNorthofya
when bank fishing I like to be systematic...cast a couple times close...then out a little farther then farther...take 3 steps and repeat....sometimes I'll run the same hole a couple times and change up my tactics (bait...bobber/jig)

take the time to throughly cover the water...

M
Mad dog
justNorthofya said:
when bank fishing I like to be systematic...cast a couple times close...then out a little farther then farther...take 3 steps and repeat....sometimes I'll run the same hole a couple times and change up my tactics (bait...bobber/jig)

take the time to throughly cover the water...

Lot's of good advice so far! There's no right or wrong answer to this one! If the hole is a good sized one and the water is up and the fish are present and moving in decent numbers I might camp on it all day! I have watched steelhead move into new holes all day long at times, or have watched a pod of summer steelhead all of a sudden go on the bite 2-3 hrs into fishing a spot. Sometimes changing bait, lure, lure size or how you present your bait is more productive than moving, it just depends on the conditions. If the water is down and I feel the fish are scattered I'm moving as soon as I feel I've thoroughly covered the holding water.