How long to season green Madrone?

J

Jig'n

I have a cord of freshly cut & split Madrone, I was wondering if it was left out in the sun all summer if it would be ready to burn this coming winter? (that is if the sun ever shines this summer)

Thanks
Jig'n

Last edited:
M

Modest_Man

Madrone is a hardwood right? Hardwood takes longer than the softwoods, so you're looking at at least a full year for good seasoned wood. I haven't burned madrone, but I've burned plenty of oak and it's pretty similar density wise I think.

The only wood that would be close to ready for this winter that's green now would be fir or pine.

On the bright side though, once it's seasoned you'll have some VERY nice firewood.

C_Run

C_Run

I agree. We get some madrone off our place every year. I would say it's too late for this year especially with the weather as it has been.

J

Jig'n

Thanks! I've got a cord that I cut last summer that's been split and sitting all winter uncovered, hopefully it will be ready to go this fall.

R

Razz

Never wait until the wood is dry and try to split madrone.If you stack the wood with lots of air space may be able to burn small pieces.

Top Bottom