How is bank fishing on the Slaw?

E
Eoughphily
How is the salmon fishing going on rhododendron?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Apparently there were a couple caught by a "hottie" last week and none of the boats could get a bite. They were all commenting about this good looking lady that nailed two right in front of all the trollers. I wasn't out there but I fished with a buddy on Wednesday that saw her catch both of them.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Eoughphily said:
How is the salmon fishing going on rhododendron?

I expect it to heat up big time once this storm moves through...

B
Bswe22
Landed this one this morning! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441572260.003596.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rogerdodger
E
Eoughphily
That's awesome!!! I was there Friday morning and there was no action going on. A few sea lions here and there, no catches and none jumping. Went to winchester at noon and saw three get caught, one nook and two coho (which were released). Spent the morning here at Winchester, heard of one being caught. No sea lions and no action

J
JeannaJigs
Bswe22 said:
Landed this one this morning!
Careful, coho retention in the river isn't open until the 15th.

B
Bswe22
If it was a coho it would of been released but the all black lower jaw made it a keeper!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Bswe22 said:
If it was a coho it would of been released but the all black lower jaw made it a keeper!

this is a general reminder to help everyone avoid having a fish confiscated and getting a $600 ticket:
coho have black around their lower jaw, what matters is the color right around the teeth- it needs to be all black to be a chinook.
next is to check the tail: chinook have spots on the upper and lower lobes of the tail. If there are no spots on the lower lobe of the tail: it is a COHO.

cheers, roger

coho:

chinook:

Last edited by a moderator:
B
Bswe22
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441644714.620628.jpg
According to what I've read and pictures I've seen this is a chinook. The two older gentlemen that helped me land and net it agreed it was a nook, were we wrong?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Bswe22 said:
According to what I've read and pictures I've seen this is a chinook. The two older gentlemen that helped me land and net it agreed it was a nook, were we wrong?

NOOK! nice job!

B
Bswe22
Great! I was starting to feel like I had done something wrong! And if I had, I probably NEVER would of fished for salmon again!

B
BaldTexan
Definitely a chinook. Nice catch! The ones you have to be careful with are the really big coho that sometimes have bigger spots and a black gum line but will still have white base around the teeth. I caught a few last year that I swore were chinook until close inspection of the teeth.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
BaldTexan said:
Definitely a chinook. Nice catch! The ones you have to be careful with are the really big coho that sometimes have bigger spots and a black gum line but will still have white base around the teeth. I caught a few last year that I swore were chinook until close inspection of the teeth.

for sure, the picture I posted from the regs. is an easy to identify coho, I have seen some that have lots more dark area in the lower jaw but the gums right around the teeth are what to focus on..

fish4food
fish4food
DSCF0927.jpg

J
Jordy
rogerdodger said:
for sure, the picture I posted from the regs. is an easy to identify coho, I have seen some that have lots more dark area in the lower jaw but the gums right around the teeth are what to focus on..
I thought the same thing when i first saw how many scales the fish had lost, but then when i zoomed in i could see the spots on the tail. Estuary or oven fish can be so tricky at times.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
2 20 plus pound fish caught today both nooks!

B
BaldTexan
Awesome. Congrats. work is always taking up my fishing time or I'd be out there trying!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GaryP1958 said:
2 20 plus pound fish caught today both nooks!

I'm guessing there were more than 2 nice nooks caught along the Rhody wall today...:D

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
I didn't get one Im way overdue, it will happen. Saw a coho caught and released yesterday, last year the Hos came in strong after the 20th.

B
BaldTexan
"Boats and Ho's!!" [emoji1]