How does the Siuslaw look?

D

Damon79

Did anyone fish the Slaw today? (2-27) Think I may go down there tomorrow but not sure if the water is muddy or not. Wish the USGS site would add another section to show water clarity on the Slaw instead of just level and flow.. Any information at all would be greatly appreciated..

D

dtikey

I fished the slaw today.Water was in great shape.I got 1 hen and buddy with me lost 1 and seen 1 more caught.Maybe tomorrow will be better.

P

plumb2fish

You said it was your first time.....where have I heard that before. Wish I could have gone, @ least momma is happy with her new wheels.

D

dtikey

It was my first time on that day.Hope you do good floating it today.I didn't tell you last night but seen a glass boat almost go under yesterday too.Locked up the anchor and the back in started to drop.You know that feeling.

D

Damon79

I fished the slaw today.Water was in great shape.I got 1 hen and buddy with me lost 1 and seen 1 more caught.Maybe tomorrow will be better.
Where did you fish? thinking about going down this afternoon and taking the wife and boys. My father in law fished all day yesterday and said he only heard of one fish caught.. maybe it was yours. He was in a black alumaweld most likely with his bike laid across the front seats.. Good luck on your next outings and tight lines..

D

dtikey

I fished down by the log below whiticker creek.Just above the island.Seen your father in law go by.Hes talking about a boat that was in front of him.They got 1 across from us.Guy with me lost one after that and I got my later.Not much action down there this season before 10 or 11 in the morning.Good luck to you

D

Damon79

I went down today and had a good float, but no fish. heard of a couple caught, but we didn't do any good at all.. unless you count catching the anchor of a boat in front of us.. This guy dropped anchor right in front of us while pulling plugs and I thought I was gonna miss his rope but got it with my inside plug.. no biggie I guess, stuff happens.. Here are a few pics from the day..

D

dtikey

At least the weather held out for a fun time with the kidos.And Ive noticed on that river a lot of stuff happens with boats that wouldnt be tolorated or even heard of on most rivers.Almost to easy of a drift so you get lots of newbies I think that only float there.

J

JeannaJigs

Good to hear it's still fishin', if I had access to the 4 wheel drive I'd probably be headed that way with my boat friday since I have the day off from work (I should be moving, but there is the weekend for that) .I think the problem with that drift is, yes, it's easy, but it's a very short drift, and it's wayyy crowded..the boats per mile ratio is nuts. It's the closest fishing oppurtunity in lane county, pretty populated area for one river...and...then you throw in that a lot of people just don't care. They don't know what etiquette is. I've had a lot of bad experiences with boats on both the siuslaw and lake creek when I've been on the bank. That said, not everyone in a boat is a newb, and not everyone has poor etiquette, it's just a few bad apples. This year though, seems to be the most crowded I've ever seen it. I miss the way it was 10 years ago :( Lots of fish, and not so many people aware of their numbers. Change is inevitable though, and it's only gonna get more crowded, so might as well enjoy it in the now.

H

Halfthrive

Good to hear it's still fishin', if I had access to the 4 wheel drive I'd probably be headed that way with my boat friday since I have the day off from work (I should be moving, but there is the weekend for that) .I think the problem with that drift is, yes, it's easy, but it's a very short drift, and it's wayyy crowded..the boats per mile ratio is nuts. It's the closest fishing oppurtunity in lane county, pretty populated area for one river...and...then you throw in that a lot of people just don't care. They don't know what etiquette is. I've had a lot of bad experiences with boats on both the siuslaw and lake creek when I've been on the bank. That said, not everyone in a boat is a newb, and not everyone has poor etiquette, it's just a few bad apples. This year though, seems to be the most crowded I've ever seen it. I miss the way it was 10 years ago :( Lots of fish, and not so many people aware of their numbers. Change is inevitable though, and it's only gonna get more crowded, so might as well enjoy it in the now.

The crowds are gone. I fished Sun, the day was sunny the water was perfect and there was only about 9 boats total on the river at any given time. Last Thurs I drifted it and went 1 for 4, one of which was the biggest fish I've hooked this season. Again only 5 or so boats and very few bankies. Wildcat to Lindslaw is almost unfished now, maybe 1 or 2 boats hitting it. The fishing is slowing down but there is still a decent amount of new chrome entering the system.

D

Damon79

Anyone have any good reports from the Slaw this week? Gonna hit it Sunday from Wildcat to Linslaw due to low water and just wondering if any body has a good word of wisdom for me..Hope everyone is out battling some steel somewhere, and good luck to those who are..

J

JeannaJigs

Did the whittaker to wildcat drift today...twice. The second time was half arsed, thought it was earlier in the day than it actually was, so fished a few of the upper holes and then had to haul to get to the takeout before I couldn't see anything. The count? Nada. Had a nasty post spawn fish follow my spinner, only to turn away just before striking. kinda glad it did, it had sores all over it and was super dark. Otherwise, I only know of one hooked, and the guy lost it. Slow day. At least it was nice out, but, the water is low and doesn't have a lot of color to it. Never done that Wildcat to linslaw drift, what's the takeout down there look like? I've never paid attention to it before, all these things I never had to think about fishing from the bank, and My rig doesn't have 4 wheel drive, it's worse than gutless, so I gotta steal my parental's truck if I take out at wildcat or I'm camping out waiting for a tow truck.

D

Damon79

Thanks for the info.. I really like the float from wildcat to linslaw between 5.5 to about 6.5. The take out is steep, but paved. There is a lot of plugging water on the run and only like 5 decent drifting holes. Plenty of water for those who like throwing hardware also. My father in law ran from Whitaker to Linslaw today and heard of about 6 fish caught including one runback he landed and released. Good luck on your future trips..

D

Damon79

Well I made a valiant effort on the Slaw today with terrible results. After talking to several people yesterday that did OK below Wildcat, I decided to fish from Whitaker to Wildcat in hopes that maybe some fish had moved up river last night. I heard of one boat that had one fish today. There was only about 5 boats on the river and only two guys on the bank that we saw.. I am beginning to think that the run is over early. If we could get one good high water event in the next couple weeks we will know for sure. If we dont get a good push of fresh fish in high water it is over and time to start gearing up for summers and springers. I can't wait to hit the Willamette. I have decided I am going to finally fish the hole right behind Roaring Rapids Pizza place. The river necks way down right there and EVERY fish headed up river HAS to go through that slot.

T

Thuggin4Life

Hey don't be giving up my secrect spot. You couldn't be more right. Its also the only spot i know I can run my boat without busting the prop.

C

crusty old fisherman

. I miss the way it was 10 years ago :( Lots of fish, and not so many people aware of their numbers. Change is inevitable though, and it's only gonna get more crowded, so might as well enjoy it in the now.

heck ya should have seen it bck in the early 90s a guy could float from green leaf creak to dead wood and never see another boat, plus have a 15 to 20 fish day. times have sure changed and the fish have sure changed you just can't catch numbers of fish like you used to be able to on the slaw. seems like most of the broodstock fish move when the water is off color and in the trees.

I remember fishing down to wild cat when the river was from 7.5 feet down to 5.5 feet and just killing them now at 5.5 feet its a waste land except right below whitaker creek and boy the main stem was sure sweet from 5.5 feet down to 4.5 feet back in the day.

Crusty

Last edited:
C

crusty old fisherman

secret spot for you and about 50 other boaters lol it looks like it necks down a lot further then it does damon, its still a really broad area through there with many fingers for the fish to travel. there are far tighter bottle necks lower on the river you just have to look around and find them.

Crusty

T

Thuggin4Life

well my spot is in the area but the few times i went out in a boat i never seen anyone in my spots. also when i hit the bank in the summer never seen much boat traffic. if you see me out say hi.

C

crusty old fisherman

no problem will do I fish out of D street quite often its an easy go when i fish alone. I just fish out of my drift boat with a kicker on the back it works out good for me but limits me to where i can fish when i am by myself.

Crusty

Top Bottom