How do I

L
lizardman
Rig a pole holder for my son's car seat? How do I then convince the game warden that he is infact fishing? ;)

If I could do the latter then I could keep one or two more fish a year...

Dave

G
GDBrown
lizardman said:
Rig a pole holder for my son's car seat? How do I then convince the game warden that he is infact fishing? ;)

If I could do the latter then I could keep one or two more fish a year...

Dave

Sorry, if he is fishing without a license his catch comes out of your limit!

Great idea to get him interested in fishing though. I always start them young!

T
Thuggin4Life
GDBrown said:
Sorry, if he is fishing without a license his catch comes out of your limit!

When did that become law. a youth isn't required to have a liscensce. so what if a 12 year old, a 10 year old, and a 7 year old all without licenses head up to the local fishing hole without an adult. and start catching fish. because none of them are required to buy a license but the is no one in there party that has one they can't catch fish? could you expand on this rule because we always take some of the younger kids out when we are camping and i don't want to get in trouble.

as for the original question. mount a rod holder on some kind of L shaped bracket made our of wood with the longer end sliding under the car seat. use a kids rod and not one of yours. try to look like you are helping him cast by holding the rod really close to him and maybe even with his hand on the rod a bit. when there is a fish on have him try to hold on to the rod with you and all that goos stuff.

G
GDBrown
From the Fishing Regs....

From the Fishing Regs....

Thuggin4Life said:
When did that become law. a youth isn't required to have a liscensce. so what if a 12 year old, a 10 year old, and a 7 year old all without licenses head up to the local fishing hole without an adult. and start catching fish. because none of them are required to buy a license.......

I'll just show what is in the regs....

"Licenses, Tags and Permits - Fish Fee Qualifications
Resident Annual Licenses:
Angling License* $33.00 • See also, definition of “Resident” at top of page 7.
• A person who has resided in Oregon for at least 6 consecutive
months immediately prior to the date of making application for a
license, tag or permit.
Combination Angling/Hunting License* $58.00
Juvenile Angling License*
(14 through 17 years of age) $9.00
Youth Under 14 Angling License Free
Senior Citizen Combination
Angling/Hunting License* $25.50 • Must be at least 70 years of age and have lived in Oregon for more
than 5 years and for at least 6 consecutive months immediately
before buying a license.
Senior Citizen Angling License* $15.00 • Available from license agents.
Sports Pac License $164.75 • Includes: combination angling/hunting license; shellfish license;
salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, Pacific halibut, spring turkey, cougar,
fall black bear, elk and deer tags; upland bird and waterfowl
validations.
Juvenile Sports Pac License $55.00 • Includes: combination angling/hunting license; shellfish license;
salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, Pacific halibut, spring turkey, cougar,
fall black bear, elk and deer tags; upland bird and waterfowl
validations.
Duplicate License or Tag $17.00 • Duplicate tags available only at ODFW offices.
"

As you can see "Youth under 14 Angling License... is FREE" They are still required to have one. If they don't then there catch comes from the adult who is supervising them. "or" they are subject to a citation...... You know what those are ... RIGHT?

Please become more familiar with the regs...
GD

T
Thuggin4Life
Hey thanks i always thought you didn't have to have one if you were under 14. so they way i read/inturpreted that it that if you are under 14 you have to have the license but it is free and you cannot fish without it. I am very aware of what a citation is and wouldn't want to get a kid one for taking him out with us and him not having a license. I remember as a kid we never had to have one though so things must have changed.

H
halibuthitman
for a child to be able to retain their own limit they must be capable of providing some assistance in catching it, for instance if you go razor clamming and your child can walk, and point out the shows you may dig the clam for them and it is theirs, as a rule most officers will question the abilities of anyone under 5 yrs old with rod fishing, but if you can demonstrate that the child actually can cast and reel in with some proficiency, you may assist them in playing and landing the fish,, HOWEVER... I would avoid the gray area, and let them come of age.. I had a very stout fight with a trooper over the clam thing.. and won, but It made me look like a poacher anyway.

H
halibuthitman
the reason for the free underage license is to help odf track fishermen recruitment for the futer.. its no big deal.. its just your first opportunity to become a statistic.;)

G
GDBrown
halibuthitman said:
for a child to be able to retain their own limit they must be capable of providing some assistance in catching it, for instance if you go razor clamming and your child can walk, and point out the shows you may dig the clam for them and it is theirs, as a rule most officers will question the abilities of anyone under 5 yrs old with rod fishing, but if you can demonstrate that the child actually can cast and reel in with some proficiency, you may assist them in playing and landing the fish,, HOWEVER... I would avoid the gray area, and let them come of age.. I had a very stout fight with a trooper over the clam thing.. and won, but It made me look like a poacher anyway.

The other thing the ODF officers and State Patrol look at is who had the rod in their hands when the fish was landed, and by rule the rod must be in someones hand and not in a rod holder. They really do get nit picky don't they! The only exception is if the angler is handicapped.

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah better just use the second rod license a put a rod in fron of him if you want to get him interested. the kid must be capable of actually fishing like you guys pointed out. I did pull out my book to check this because i had never heard of a license for under 14 only that you had to buy a tag even if you were under 14. all the info was in blue so this must be a new rg this year requireing youth to go get the free one and you must have the free one to get a tag. pretty sure there was no such thing as a free license just free privalages in years before this one. no i have to make a few phone calls to make sure the adults of these kids who go camping with us know because they dont even fish themselves. thanks gd for bringing this new reg to my attention. man the governmant might as well just start planting chips in us as we are born since they keep finding new ways to keep track of us.

G
GDBrown
It is frustrating when they keep changing the rules from year to year but I guess they have to justify their existance somehow!

H
halibuthitman
if you think these rule changes are confusing or a pain.... try being a commercial fisherman in 2 fisheries in 2 states and 3 countries.... you actually have to pay someone to notify you of how you broke the law yesterday!!!